Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in the driveway

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default in the driveway

ok so it looks like i'll be installing my trans in the driveway, do you guys have any tips, suggestions, comments, recommendations, or just general **** that people dont think about. i want to cover all the bases before i start....thanks...
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

-jackstands. youll want the rear wheels to be off the ground so you can turn the driveshaft to get to the bolts.
-get your car high enough that you can slide the trans out to get to it. the bellhousing is pretty tall.
-if you still have the stock converter bolts dont round them out. they are hex bit. I wouldnt suggest puttting those back in. get hex head bolts
-dont lose the e-clips
-youll need to take the dipstick bolt out to get it out of the pan.
-make sure you dont lose or tear the dipstick seal.

the 'modernmusclecars' trans review is the best thing for you to read.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

so how high do you think i will need to get? about as high to put headers in? because i can get it that high easy.

any parts i should plan on picking up beforehand in case i destroy them? besides thw dipstick seal i guess...

already got the bolts, looks like i got pretty much what i need...

edit: oh yeah, is there a chance i might need a special tool for anything? or perhaps a regular tool that isnt found in semi-basic tool sets?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spy2520
so how high do you think i will need to get? about as high to put headers in? because i can get it that high easy.

any parts i should plan on picking up beforehand in case i destroy them? besides thw dipstick seal i guess...

already got the bolts, looks like i got pretty much what i need...

edit: oh yeah, is there a chance i might need a special tool for anything? or perhaps a regular tool that isnt found in semi-basic tool sets?
I just pulled my tran this weekend and I got the car about 21 inches in the air and that was not enough to pull the tran out while it was sitting on the jack.. I am just doing a converter so it is all good..

Also The MM says to use two 24" extensions for the top bolt. That was way too long.. I used 3/8 drive and all it did was bind up and bow the extensions. So I used 1 24" and another 10" and it was plenty long..

And does anyone have the part number for the dipstick seal?
Attached Thumbnails in the driveway-out.jpg   in the driveway-side.jpg  

Last edited by Joel_SS; 07-22-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I yanked my transmission out 4 times this year (TH400). You will need to raise the car ATLEAST 18inches... Depending on exhaust clearence, i would go 20" to be safe. You will need 4 - 6 ton jackstands. A tarp to catch the trans oil... Some 10mm and 13mm bolts and some looooong extensions to get that top bolt (have fun w/ that one) lol. You will need to remove the starter, i used two zip ties and tied them to the lower A-arms... Hmmm, you will have to get two different jacks (one to hold the motor - to tilt it down - and the other to brace the transmission). Disconnect your exhaust to to allow the motor to tilt. If you need any help, let us know! good luck and have fun!

J
Old 07-22-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some spare e-clips wouldn't hurt to have around if you lose one. A small pick tool workes good to get those little basterds off.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

wow, i have two 3-ton jackstands that go up about 21", i planned on putting them on the back and putting the front on ramps, but from the sounds of it that wont work...i'll have to find some extensions because as of right now i have none...

the exhaust will be a bitch to disconnect, its welded everywhere except from the y-pipe to the headers and i used band clamps there it appears the trans will clear it, but i may need to disconnect it ifi have to pivot the motor alot...

and what size are the stock converter bolts?
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Regular

I did my trans alot on jackstands and I didnt have to take off the exhaust. I personally think jacking up the car is the worst part although mine is lowered a good amount.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe the stock converter bolts are 13mm/ 1/2inch??? I havnt had a stock converter in my car in 6years... haha... I would make sure you have some swival sockets to get those transbolts Take r' easy
Old 07-23-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Get a lift lol, be alot easier that way. Good luck with tranny swap man, dont forget to tell me about it lol.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

well i got 10 lifts at work but my boss is bullshitting and telling me it will take to long to do it there...way to **** my plans up huh?...thats why i'm doing it in my driveway...
Old 07-24-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

well i got 10 lifts at work but my boss is bullshitting and telling me it will take to long to do it there...way to **** my plans up huh?...thats why i'm doing it in my driveway...
10 lifts? I am assuming there are air tools as well then.
With a lift and air tools I could have the tranny out in about an hour.
Car needs to be high but if you don,t mind sliding it off the jack onto the floor and sliding it out from under the car your jackstands on the highest setting should be enough.
I use my regular floor jack to bring the tranny down, you just have to get the balance right, and a 12 x 12 piece of wood to distribute the weight.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

yeah 10 lifts, , 3 of them drive-on, a bunch of air tools and ****, possibly the perfect place for the job, only thing we lack is a trans jack, but like i said, my boss doesnt think it will take an hour so...
Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah 10 lifts, , 3 of them drive-on, a bunch of air tools and ****, possibly the perfect place for the job, only thing we lack is a trans jack, but like i said, my boss doesnt think it will take an hour so...

So offer to come in at 2 AM if needed...

It's SO much easier with a lift and air tools, and you NEED a long extension for the top bolts. We use a 1/2 drive extension about 30 " long with a 3.8 driver and a swivel socket, works charms.

Trans CAN be pulled with one big, foolish dude to catch it, but harder to put it back in that way.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
So offer to come in at 2 AM if needed...
he's not going to want to show up at 2 for me to do it, and he definitely wont give me the key lol...i'd probably end up pulling a few all-nighters on the car if that were the case...

i need to get some swivel sockets and an extension...
Old 07-25-2006, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

anybody know the torque specs for the trans mount bolts, cant seem to find it...
Old 07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did my complete Engine, K-Member, and Tranny Swap over the last year.
I had the car up on (4)-12 Ton Jack Stands. I used (2)-4 Ton Long Bodied
Floor Jacks...That did the trick!

What all else have you had done to the Tranny?
Also, before you get too crazy with the install of the Converter Bolts you had
better check the Head Thickness as some of these are too thick and actually hit.
So, you might want to install ONE bolt and turn the converter to make sure it clears.
Also,....If you haven't already done so....
You might want to look into getting the Aluminum Accumilators and the "Trans-Go"
Shift Kit. Especially if you're planning to beat on it.
Almost forgot.........Tranny Cooler! Definitely Needed!!!

Good Luck with the Install

Last of All........
Make Damn Sure that the cars weight is equally loaded on ALL 4 Stands.
Don't want to read about a mishap.

Last edited by SLP 02 SS; 07-25-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

its a rock-on 4l60e and a fuddle converter going in...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

ok here is an update, tonight i took the driveshaft out, drained the trans, disconnected shift cable, a few sensors, the torque arm (sorta), and removed the crossmember and trans mount.

also removed the starter and took out two of the torque converter bolts, you guys probably already know what i am about to say now...i think i pretty much rounded the third converter bolt. i'll run to the store tomorrow and get some of those "f'ed up bolt removers."

now how do i get the motor and trans to pivot down again? i guess i have to disconnect the exhaust, thats going to be a bitch...other than that everything is going fine, hopefully i can finish the rest tomorrow because its my day off, i only planned on getting a little done tonight since i didnt start anything until 10pm...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Resident

now how do i get the motor and trans to pivot down again? i guess i have to disconnect the exhaust, thats going to be a bitch...other than that everything is going fine, hopefully i can finish the rest tomorrow because its my day off, i only planned on getting a little done tonight since i didnt start anything until 10pm...
Once you undo the trans cross member from the body the engine/trans will pivot down. If it does not it is catching on something.