Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans hic-up

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 03:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default trans hic-up

Yep, thats what its doing going into 3rd gear. It's not slipping. It just sounds like the motor shuts off and then comes back on and shifts. Now that I think about this if I look at a run I logged it would appear it lost all but a couple of degrees of timing when that occurs. This was noticed after installing the 4.10's. Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Hello, testing 1,2,3

Is this thing on?

Any one out there?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine does it all the time on the low side of part throttle. Tough to describe .. like a moment of uncertainty in the trans .. like it shifts into 3rd then straight to OD. It sounds like the motor revs but actually a loss of power is felt (not in gear). Then any little adjustment's in the throttle can't be felt (gear is to high for the rpm range) It reminds me of a hic-up. The only time it doesn't do it is if I'm leaning on the throttle better that half.

I always assumed it was the converter.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do either of you guys have tuning installed? Does the tranny almost seem to slip into neutral before it shifts. Like it takes a split second too long? Mine did exactly what you guys are describing when I had the Hypertech. When I got the predator all my problems went away. This did not happen when I had stock tuning. (I didn't even have the power program installed, I just used it for the gears.) It may have something to do with torque management. I noticed a considerable difference in power after the Predator programming was installed.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM
Launching!

I've got HPTuners. The trans imo isn't slipping as the rpm's don't race and then drop. It sounds like the engine shuts off then shifts. I didn't notice this until after the 4.10's gears were installed. I'm going to drop the trans pan and change fluid and filter. Can't hurt. Its been at least 25,000 miles since it was done last. Then maybe it could be in the tune as well.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:30 AM
Teching In

What you are feeling is Torque Management. The PCM will cut timing to protect the tranny. Temp plays a big role in TM; higher tranny fluid temps, less timimg during the shift.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMendoza
What you are feeling is Torque Management. The PCM will cut timing to protect the tranny. Temp plays a big role in TM; higher tranny fluid temps, less timimg during the shift.
That is a good point. However I've tuned out TM with HPTuners. This happens at part throttle and at WOT.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a problem a lot like this too. It started doing it after I installed my fuddle converter. I dont think its a Torque Management issue because I have a problem like this, and I have a LT1 (wich doesnt have TM). I have the Vacuum modulator on the trans, and I am going to switch away from this to see if it fixes things.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:33 AM
10 Second Club

My car was tuned with a Vinci handheld and it acted the same way as it does now with a dyno tune ... but I never mentioned this "issue" with the tuner. I don't see it as a problem because it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything. Basically, it's just annoying because I feel like I have to try and explain it to a new passenger. The best explanation I can come up with is ... "it just does that"
Old 08-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by junior28570
I don't see it as a problem because it doesn't seem to have any effect on anything. Basically, it's just annoying because I feel like I have to try and explain it to a new passenger. The best explanation I can come up with is ... "it just does that"
Exact thing here too man

Last edited by Droptoplt1ta; 08-26-2006 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Well, I've got to figure this out. It is killing my ET.
I wonder if there are transmissions shop that can log the tranny and figure this out for us. Not that I trust any tranny shop. "Yes Sir your trans is fubared and needs a rebuild." yeah I can hear it now.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Mine does something very similar but shifts great at WOT. During part throttle it does what you describe, a power cut, but it sort of clunks into gear and isnt smooth at all. I have TM deleted also. I haven't touched anything tuning wise yet but I will try to see if there is anything in there that can help.