Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help on understanding TQ Converters

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on understanding TQ Converters

I really want to upgrade my torque converter, considering its still got the factory one in it. But this is what I dont understand though. I know there are lock up and non-lock up tq converters out there. I Dont know which one to get!?!?!!? Whats the difference? I dont know what those terms mean. And also, what if I purchased a lock up tq converter and my tranny has a NON-LOCK UP TQ converter in it or VICE VERSA? PLEASE HELP. . .anything please!!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok assuming you have and 4l60e you presently do have lockup and you would not want to not have lockup,
Lockup is simply this , Its a clutch inside the converter, the converter in the simplest explaination is turbins or fans in fluild one turns and then gets the other moving the funstion is of course a bit more complicated than than but thats the jest of it , Since this coupling through liquid is not a direct couple there is slip or loss in the transfer much like if you took two electric fans and put the running one behind a non running one ,Both would turn but the non running one would of course not run as fast due to loss of energy through the medium in that case air in the converters fluild , Though as the fan ran the second fan would get close but not quite one to one .A converter clutch works as a mechanical conection betwwen the two fans though no literally between them and forces each to run at the same speed, This eliminates loss of energy in the coupling and effectivly takes the converter out of the loop when its locks reducing heat and energy loss in the converter.
The actual function of a converter is quite abit more complicated than my explanation .
But In keeping it simple this is how it works ,
You definatley want to keep lockup

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default What stall do I have now?

I have a bone stock 98 T/A and what came factory on these? (STALL) Were they lock up or non lock up on the 98 T/A?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98BADAZZTA
I have a bone stock 98 T/A and what came factory on these? (STALL) Were they lock up or non lock up on the 98 T/A?
You have a 1600-1800rpm 1.8str lockup converter. You want to replace it with another lockup converter but with a higher stall speed and str. Do some searches in this section on questions you have....there's lots of good info here to keep you busy reading for awhile. If you can't find the answer you're after, we'll give ya a hand.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
You have a 1600-1800rpm 1.8str lockup converter. You want to replace it with another lockup converter but with a higher stall speed and str. Do some searches in this section on questions you have....there's lots of good info here to keep you busy reading for awhile. If you can't find the answer you're after, we'll give ya a hand.
What is str?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

So say I do upgrade to a higher stall converter, I dont have to do anything else to my car right, as in tuning it or anything like that? Just buy the part, get it installed, and thats that?
Old 11-08-2006, 08:46 PM
12 Second Club

as long as you dont go too high (above 3500) usually, but you may need new tires...
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spy2520
... but you may need new tires...
Old 11-09-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STR = stall torque ratio........search and you can read all about it.

Originally Posted by 98BADAZZTA
So say I do upgrade to a higher stall converter, I dont have to do anything else to my car right, as in tuning it or anything like that? Just buy the part, get it installed, and thats that?
You'll need to get an external tranny cooler to keep the temps under control.