Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overfilled tranny by about 1/2 qt. okay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overfilled tranny by about 1/2 qt. okay?

Well I just had my new tranny/stall put in, and they said when I got home to check it running/warmed up. I checked it, and it was about 1/4" below the cold reading which is below the hot reading. anyway, I put about 3/4 qt. in it now it is about 1/4" above the hot reading. is that allright, or will I have to drain some, not sure how, don't have a drain plug on it. anyways just curious...thanks..
Old 01-31-2007, 09:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

It will be fine , In fact I always overfill mine by about 1/4 to 1/2 quart as 4l60e trans dont have alot of extra capacity to start with

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-31-2007, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the response..
Old 01-31-2007, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Your welcome thats what we are here for

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-22-2008, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

performa...will overfilling hurt the tranny? when I remove my dipstick tube a little pours out.
im placing a new tube in it today and need to know if i need to drain some fluid out.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

none should come out when you pull the dipstick out lol i don't even think thats possible , However ideally you want it at the top pf the cross hatch warm or at most 1/4 inch over it

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-23-2008, 02:52 PM
11 Second Club

I think he ment the tube, lol, and the car cold, with the converter drain back overnight. It will leak a little. install a new boot and put the new tube in and fill to about 1/8"-1/4" above the full mark, (1/4-1/2 quart over, warm).
Old 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Teching In

My car developed a small drip and was told by a tranny shop that the 3200 stall could be causing the drip because the fluid level is to high. So it could be pushing it out the overflow. We checked the level and it is at full or a shade above the cross hatch. Usually drips more after a day at the track or WOT spirted driving. So I was told to take some fluid out.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

i have the same problem just put a new stall in and i think i overfilled it now it drips like a SOB!! and all the lines are tight !! should i just keep driving it and check the fluid levels frequentlY?
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
It will be fine , In fact I always overfill mine by about 1/4 to 1/2 quart as 4l60e trans dont have alot of extra capacity to start with
Had a question about increased fluid capacity actually.....

What would be wrong with running an aftermarket fluid cooler (or duals like I have) then after the fluid leaves the cooler, the fluid then goes into a tank that holds - say 2 quarts of tranny fluid........then it returns to the tranny?

Since you mentioned (in another thread I started) that line pressure will not be effected as long as the fluid level is full in the tranny pan.........wouldn't this idea effectively make the system 2 quarts larger?
Or maybe a tank that holds 3 ,4 ,5 quarts...........???? A elongated tank could be mounted behind the air dam on the frame.

Just a thought......my mind is always thinking of stuff......

Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extra capacity will only to serve as just that.... a reservoir for the fluid. It will serve no other purpose than to maybe store cooled fluid, which could potentially interrupt the lubrication circuit pressure and volume. When the fluid returns from the cooler it is send directly to the lube circuits for the rotating assembly, then returns to the pan.

Besides, the whole idea of adding up to an extra qt of fluid to a 60e is to provide sufficient volume in the pan during WOT events. In a properly filled (factory marks on the dipstick) unit inertia can and will cause the filter to cavitate on hard acceleration.

Hope that helps...

g
Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LSjim
i have the same problem just put a new stall in and i think i overfilled it now it drips like a SOB!! and all the lines are tight !! should i just keep driving it and check the fluid levels frequentlY?
Well you want to make sure it's not a pressure leak, meaning make sure it's not coming from the bell housing / front pump area and the cooler lines.

If it is overfilled by too much then yes it will set it's own level, meaning eventually it will stop leaking. But it's going to make one helluva mess under the car if that's the case.

The only place it can leak out if it's overfilled is the vent hose which is located at the top of the case. It sits at 12 o'clock right behind the bell housing. It should have a rubber hose on it that extends back a foot or so... check to see if that's where the fluid is coming from.

g
Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gilbert@Ace Racing
The extra capacity will only to serve as just that.... a reservoir for the fluid. It will serve no other purpose than to maybe store cooled fluid, which could potentially interrupt the lubrication circuit pressure and volume. When the fluid returns from the cooler it is send directly to the lube circuits for the rotating assembly, then returns to the pan.

Besides, the whole idea of adding up to an extra qt of fluid to a 60e is to provide sufficient volume in the pan during WOT events. In a properly filled (factory marks on the dipstick) unit inertia can and will cause the filter to cavitate on hard acceleration.

Hope that helps...

g
So, after the fluid goes through my coolers and heads back to the tranny....is it the pan that the fluid gets dumped into, and then gets picked up by the pickup tube to go to the lube circuits and rotating assembly?

And, from what you're saying, if we cool the fluid too much before it gets returned to the tranny pan........is BAD?????

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would assume its same concept as food water and a hot block.

I have always been told trans fluid should be exact, learn something new.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lemons12
I would assume its same concept as food water and a hot block.
Trannys work perfectly when you first start up and drive off and the fluid is actually cool, or in winter, ice cold....so I'm wondering why cooling it 10-20*F after its up to 180-190*F, before it goes back into the tranny...it would effect anything negatively....

Old 08-22-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
So, after the fluid goes through my coolers and heads back to the tranny....is it the pan that the fluid gets dumped into, and then gets picked up by the pickup tube to go to the lube circuits and rotating assembly?

And, from what you're saying, if we cool the fluid too much before it gets returned to the tranny pan........is BAD?????

No... the cooler return fluid passes thru the TCC valve and directly feeds the lube circuit which feeds the bearings for the rotating components and splashes the gearsets (i.e. the bearings/gearsets receive cooled fluid)... and only then after that it falls into the pan.

It is hard to over-cool trans fluid, and in any case is not a bad thing...

Last edited by joecar; 08-22-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS6427
Trannys work perfectly when you first start up and drive off and the fluid is actually cool, or in winter, ice cold....so I'm wondering why cooling it 10-20*F after its up to 180-190*F, before it goes back into the tranny...it would effect anything negatively....

160F is probably the ideal temp for trans fluid.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joecar
No... the cooler return fluid passes thru the TCC valve and directly feeds the lube circuit which feeds the bearings for the rotating components and splashes the gearsets (i.e. the bearings/gearsets receive cooled fluid)... and only then after that it falls into the pan.

It is hard to over-cool trans fluid, and it any case is not a bad thing.
Perfect....I always wondered how the fluid traveled through, thanks.

Another question: How powerful is the pump...meaning how much fluid can it push though lines, coolers and possibly another tank that holds 2-3 quarts of fluid???

I was thinking if it will not lose line pressure or cause any issues...or get overworked.......putting a long thin tank behind the air dam that will mount perfectly and hold about 2-3 quarts more fluid. I would let the fluid go to that tank AFTER it traveled through my dual coolers.

Overkill?????

Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by joecar
160F is probably the ideal temp for trans fluid.
i want to have a temp guage put on....where the best place....the line that immediately leaves tranny I would guess?

Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

The cooled fluid that is fed into the lube circuit has to not only lube the bearings/gearsets, but it also has to remove heat... cooler fluid can remove heat much more efficiently than warmer fluid.

Quick Reply: overfilled tranny by about 1/2 qt. okay?