Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best clutch combo to use in the 4L60?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What is the best clutch combo to use in the 4L60?

I recently had a rebuild and 3-4 did not hold up. Very limited track use and not a lot of street abuse.
It is warrantied, but is there a suggested combo/brand to go with?
Old 02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
10 Second Club

Hey Jake,

From what my tranny builder has told me ALTO Red Eagle with Kolene steels is the way to go. The clutches should also be set up to closer than stock tolerances.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The altos are good , I like the raybestos zpak or the blueplates as a preference , And clearance should be closed up considerable over stock .But also be aware there are many factors that can contribute to a 3-4 clutch failure , Many times the clutch type is blamed when in fact there was another issue, I have seen quite few higher hp setups running even the stock frictions and doing pretty well so if they failed prematurly with limited abuse like you said I would carefully look at everything else , I have seen improperly installed shift kits cause that , I have seen super servos used without return springs causing band clutch overlap during the 2-3 shift kill the 3-4 clutch in a hurry and in that case no matter what clutch type you use it will make no difference,
I would also check the inside o the stator for wear grooves carefully these I have seen alot and they will also cause failure in a relative hurry while lighter throttle shifts will still feel pretty good

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A well built 700r4 with the hydraulic controls will almost always shift better than the 4l60e even with the same clutch pack and max line pressure.the problem lies in the circuitry of the valve body,poor ecm programming and of course an under capacity 3/4 clutch pack .the clutch pack capacity is another issue but one thing i know is we install a brand new ,not remanufactured valve body on every 4l60e we rebuild and of course modify it and have found our 3/4 woes a thing of the past if the clutch pack is not being overloaded.a stiff 2/3 accumulator spring inboard of the servo along with proper calibration and omitted 3/4 load release rings improves 3/4 clutch pack durability alot more than friction selection.8 thin borgs with 8 101" steels including one as your top and bottom apply and pressure plate and alto wide red band is all you need in the friction department.my 4l60e book will be out very soon.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by performabuilt
The altos are good , I like the raybestos zpak or the blue plates as a preference , And clearance should be closed up considerable over stock .But also be aware there are many factors that can contribute to a 3-4 clutch failure , Many times the clutch type is blamed when in fact there was another issue, I have seen quite few higher hp setups running even the stock frictions and doing pretty well so if they failed prematurely with limited abuse like you said I would carefully look at everything else , I have seen improperly installed shift kits cause that , I have seen super servos used without return springs causing band clutch overlap during the 2-3 shift kill the 3-4 clutch in a hurry and in that case no matter what clutch type you use it will make no difference,
I would also check the inside o the stator for wear grooves carefully these I have seen alot and they will also cause failure in a relative hurry while lighter throttle shifts will still feel pretty good

Agreed. I wouldn't be pointing the finger at the clutch and steels, i would be looking at a control problem, most likely the valve body. In my experience many builders wont even touch the valve body, they take it off the trans and set it aside, build the trans, then reinstall it. Make sure they take it apart and clean everything and make sure the valves are not sticking.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes the valve body is the nervous system an it tends to get neglected,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Borg-Warner setup is supposed to be the best.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:15 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts

I have very little problems with 3-4 clutch packs, and with a few in the nines, this is what I have found to work best for drag racing or Pro Street over the last eleven years. The 8 Borg Warner Hi-Energy clutches with Kolene steels (polished) for engines around 675-700 max HP fwhp, and since about 2003 I started to use the 9 Borg Warner Hi-Energy clutches with Kolene steels (polished), this is for engines up to about 750HP. True, I have had a few hold over this in terms of HP, but this is for realistic fwhp, and not speculative HP, and I do not make any claims that it will hold more. There are other things that need to be addressed to help acheive this, but I have not found any clutch setup to give the durability that these setups give. I concur with Chris as to 4L60E valve body problems when compared to 700R4's.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

this will be a neverending battle as to what who has in their trans. And each builder will decide to use something different.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

As it turns out, the Sprag weakened and almost came apart.

Quick Reply: What is the best clutch combo to use in the 4L60?