Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performabuilt 9.5 inch converters

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Performabuilt 9.5 inch converters

looknig at their 3k stall. anyone use them?

If so: how do you like it? would you buy it again? Has it done what you wanted it to? any problems with it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well quite a few people have them and we have never had a complaint about them though we did send the wrong stall once but after that was fix the guy was very happy , Come on guys who have performabuilt converters make your thoughts known , Im curious too I have heard from a few of you and no ones complaining so im curious also . Note performabuilt = precision shift if that helps

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-31-2007, 09:25 AM
10 Second Club

I have one of their stalls. It is a 3700, and it is X2 as streetable as my previous 3500. It feels almost like you have a stock stall when cruising around, but when you need to use it, it hits hard. I will post up some 60' times as soon as I go to the track next time. One if the things I really like about it is that it does not feel like it is loosing a lot of power on the top end due to having a higher stall. So far so good for me.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Oh.....................I don't know if any of you have had probs with the car bucking when close to the lock up speed. My car had this prob when I had the old stall..tried everything to get rid of it. When I put the Precision Shift 3700 in the bucking is 95% gone. I actually enjoy driving the car through town now.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of their 9.5'' 3000 converters in my 94Z, but I haven't driven it yet since I did more work at the same time. I might get to take it for a test drive tomorrow night.

They did send be the wrong converter the first time. In their defense the problem was taken care of ultra fast. They overnighted me the correct converter, no questions asked. In fact it seemed almost too fast, since the converters are supposed to be customized for each application! When I questioned the speed at which they were able to send the correct converter, I was told that my converter was built twice. Once for an LS1 application and once for the correct LT1 application. Both converters did have my name stamped on them.

The only problem I have seen so far is that I had to do a very small amount of grinding where the feet that bolt to the flex plate interfered with the welds that hold the ring gear onto the flex plate.
Old 03-31-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

quick question for performabuilt...

the guy with the 94z had to do a tiny bit of modfying, will it be the same on the LS1 cars or will it be a direct bolt in?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Actually he is the only person I have ever known of to have to do that and I only became aware of it in this thread, I imagine it was a fluke perhaps a weild that was a little wide or something I have no idea. Aparently its not a comon issue since its the first we have heard of it.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-31-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Actually he is the only person I have ever known of to have to do that and I only became aware of it in this thread, I imagine it was a fluke perhaps a weild that was a little wide or something I have no idea. Aparently its not a comon issue since its the first we have heard of it.

It was so close to setting flat, that some people might have tightened it down without noticing. Since the flexplate will bend, it probably would have have seated fine. If you are interested, I can email you some pics to show you how close it is to the welds. It's no longer an issue for me, so I don't care either way, but two of the three mounting points were hitting the welds.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes I would like some pics of that since its the first I have heard of it,
Also yes we are allways on here and we are not going anywhere , We are not a small company but a subsidiary of a much larger corporation that has holding both transmission related and not nation wide. So when you need us we will be here.
And Im looking forward to more input on the converters as well since while we have had considerable feedback on our trans our converters we have not. Which in this business is generally a good thing since people have a tendency as we all do to forget something when it works good that you cant see.But still would be interesting! to hear,

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
24v
11 Second Club

I just installed my level 2 and 3500 stall this weekend. So far, so good. The stall feels much tighter than my previous fuddle 3200.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv'e been hearing a lot of folks claim that these converters feel tighter than the X brand they used before (when they go bigger). Since each converter is custom built I'm wondering how they pick the STR rating on each converter. A high STR is great for drivability, but I don't want to blow the tires off the line at the track everytime, nor do I want the inefficiency of a very high STR. Maybe Performabuilt can shed some light on the range of ratings that are used (I'm assuming they go by gear ratio and power levels)?

I'm wondering because just yesterday I watched a car with their 4k stall on a bolt on LS1 (2.73's) 16" street tires totally blow the tires to shreds for about 150+ ft starting at a 20 mph roll. Granted it's a 4k stall on street tires so thats expected but still raised my curiosity.

I'm looking forward to getting this setup at the track and I'm sure if the car hooks I'll probably run a better time than previous. I'll be paying a lot of attention to the mph though as compared to the TCI I once had.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The converters are built based on rear ratio , hp output ,weight of car engine size and when available a dyno sheet, If that helps . If you have a list of specific questions please send them to me and ill give them to our converter guys and post back what they say.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-02-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

I have one of these and so far it's pretty good drives pretty much like the stock one did with a tight feel. Altough I think it flashes to more like 2800 than 3000. I haven't raced it yet but i did some lauches were I didn't have any traction because of the stall that just means I need some drag radials.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Let's keep this on track and collect some RESULTS.

Please post if you have one installed and can address how it drives or did at the track. If you have one but it is not installed, its just a 30lb paperweight, so post when it is in the car.

If you are watching/wanting/comptemplating a purchase etc., don't post in this thread. Let's build a thread with good solid tech feedback from those with experience! Also please keep the customer service feedback in the proper forum.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:48 PM
24v
11 Second Club

BTW Frank, here is a dyno of my GTO done yesterday with your 3500, and level 2 trans.

That is with the converter locked.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

Nice. Your making some good power in that car. Any track times with the new converter?
Old 04-02-2007, 06:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well though Im no dyno chart expert those numbers you like your doing very well to me .
Those are some impressive numbers you have there. Curious was there any indication of converter clutch slip during the test as it is a single clutch design and isnt really intended for WOT lockup , I realize you were doing it for the numbers and thats cool Im just curious as this is the first actual dyno chart I have seen with one of our converters locked at least with these kinds of numbers.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 PM
24v
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DannoWS6
Nice. Your making some good power in that car. Any track times with the new converter?
I put the tranny and converter in Saturday, and tuned it Sunday, so no time yet. I will be running the 1/8th mile this weekend, however, I have added a few other mods since my last time at the track, so I am not sure how accurate the results will be. I am shooting for high 6's in my 3900lb beast.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:40 PM
24v
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well though Im no dyno chart expert those numbers you like your doing very well to me .
Those are some impressive numbers you have there. Curious was there any indication of converter clutch slip during the test as it is a single clutch design and isnt really intended for WOT lockup , I realize you were doing it for the numbers and thats cool Im just curious as this is the first actual dyno chart I have seen with one of our converters locked at least with these kinds of numbers.
I only made 1 locked pass, and there were no signs of slippage. The unlocked numbers were 492/445. Do you guys offer a converter that is ok to lockup at WOT? I always dyno the last pass or two with the converter locked as that is what all of my previous comparison info is based on. Hell, I made about a dozen locked passes in a row on my fuddle converter with no slippage.
Lets hope the single clutch converter will hold up.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

I wish the people above that have these verters would post up what their STR is...

Quick Reply: Performabuilt 9.5 inch converters