Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped bolt in Aux Valve body, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stripped bolt in Aux Valve body, HELP!

I was putting my aux valve body in my 93 Corvette 4L60, when the bolt (long one in picture, wouldnt even start. I took it out and the threads were gone. Then I measured the distance up to where it bottomed out and this bolt seems longer than the hole. But, it was there when I took it out as it was the one with the tab to hold the aux body hydraulic tube down.
My question is , can I tap it? Or put a slightly larger bolt in? Thnaks in Advance
Old 05-24-2007, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

just tap it in, just tap it in. tap tap tap.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95 Camaro Z28
just tap it in, just tap it in. tap tap tap.
Tap it in? I dont see any threads in there. Is this bolt important?
I have seen pictures of rebuilds without the tab holding the hydraulic tube in.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:34 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If there are a few threads left in the bottom of the hole, then install a stud. The stud should bottom out in the hole and be a little longer (apx. 1/2" longer, trim to length) than the top of the aux. valve body. Tighten the nut here on the clamp that holds the forward accumulator feed tube. Tighten it to 60-75 inch lbs. If there are not enough threads to start with, you will need to helicoil this hole. Take it to a machine shop and have this done. Install the correct length bolt here, it usually has yellow paint on top of the bolt and is a little shorter than the valve body bolts. Tighten it to 80-95 inch lbs.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PBA
If there are a few threads left in the bottom of the hole, then install a stud. The stud should bottom out in the hole and be a little longer (apx. 1/2" longer, trim to length) than the top of the aux. valve body. Tighten the nut here on the clamp that holds the forward accumulator feed tube. Tighten it to 60-75 inch lbs. If there are not enough threads to start with, you will need to helicoil this hole. Take it to a machine shop and have this done. Install the correct length bolt here, it usually has yellow paint on top of the bolt and is a little shorter than the valve body bolts. Tighten it to 80-95 inch lbs.
Thanks. Is the purpose of this bolt just to hold the forward accumulator tube?
Also, is this bolt the correct length anyways? I am wondering if the shop here that originally did it put the right one in?
The FSM has it as a M6x1x45

Last edited by Steve40th; 05-24-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:24 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

"Is the purpose of this bolt just to hold the forward accumulator tube?"
No, it is to hold the housing to the case. Some 700R4's do not have the clamp to hold the forward accumulator tube here, but in another place. The bolt that is supposed to be here measures 1.85" in length below the head of the bolt. I have had a few cores come in over the years that had the wrong bolt and/or the hole was stripped.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PBA
"Is the purpose of this bolt just to hold the forward accumulator tube?"
No, it is to hold the housing to the case. Some 700R4's do not have the clamp to hold the forward accumulator tube here, but in another place. The bolt that is supposed to be here measures 1.85" in length below the head of the bolt. I have had a few cores come in over the years that had the wrong bolt and/or the hole was stripped.
Thanks a bunch. I was thinking something was wrong when I saw how far it was hanging out of the case farther than the other bolts.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

from your picture that looks like the incorrect bolt.

Drill out the hole and put in a zerk or helicoil. Torque to 90inlb.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Montec
from your picture that looks like the incorrect bolt.

Drill out the hole and put in a zerk or helicoil. Torque to 90inlb.
The hole calls for a 6Mx1x45. And that is the length of the bolt. I dont understand unless there is a broken bolt in there already, as the bolt doesnt go all the way in. It has about a 1/8 inch to go. I may drill and extract tommorow, maybe, once I figure this out.

Quick Reply: Stripped bolt in Aux Valve body, HELP!