Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 Reverse Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH400 Reverse Problems

When shifting into reverse, there is a delay of up to 30 seconds before it will grab reverse. It's almost like the transmission has to "think" about it first. It's a real pain obviously, like when trying to make a 3-point turn.
Anybody know what would cause this "delay" to happen? It only does this in reverse, and I've tried two different shifters. Same problem. Also, this is a reverse manual valvebody with a transbrake.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

This may me somewhat normal , Many builders will modify the direct clutch to use both chambers during its apply stock it contains two apply chambers and one is used for reverse and one for 3rd. the direct clutch is used in both 3rd and reverse in fact reverse is the low band on with the direct clutch applied. due to the large aea that must be filled when this mod is done its not uncommon to see and signifcantly delayed reverse engagment. Now it may be posible to reduce this time by enlarging some feed holes in the plate to allow more flow of fluid but this too will have the negative effect of a possible excessivly harsh reverse and 2-3 shift

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-04-2007, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crunch
When shifting into reverse, there is a delay of up to 30 seconds before it will grab reverse. It's almost like the transmission has to "think" about it first. It's a real pain obviously, like when trying to make a 3-point turn.
Anybody know what would cause this "delay" to happen? It only does this in reverse, and I've tried two different shifters. Same problem. Also, this is a reverse manual valvebody with a transbrake.

Thanks.
How old is the unit?

How long has this been going on?

Does the brake hold good at the line?

I am curious why you have replaced the shifter... is there an engagement / alignment issue you are fighting there?

g
Old 07-04-2007, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Depending on the age it could be direct seals or there may be teflon seals on the sun gear shaft and fluid is leaking by.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what you meant to say was center support. None the less it sounds like the trans needs to be opened up. I would get the car on stands or a rack and verify that you do not have an issue with the shifter. If all seems good get a buddy to sit in the car with his foot on the break while running and check reverse with the cable disconnected. Go from neutral to reverse and see if it makes a difference with the engagement. If not the shifter is not the issue. I think it might need to come out and be looked at. My suggestion would be to have a fresh paper ring and seal kit installed with clutches and bushings if needed. Good luck. Vince
Old 07-04-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
How old is the unit?

How long has this been going on?

Does the brake hold good at the line?

I am curious why you have replaced the shifter... is there an engagement / alignment issue you are fighting there?

g
The transmission is about 4 years old, but it's been sitting in the shop for all that time. 10-15 track passes, maybe. I never had a problem with the transbrake.

I had the shifter replaced because the B&M hammer got very loose and also the handle would not stay tight.

From what you are all saying, it sounds like the tranny will have to go to a shop and get dropped and opened and freshened up. Kind of sad, when I don't even have a solid 20 passes on it.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok good info thanks... is the problem new?

g
Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I think what you meant to say was center support. None the less it sounds like the trans needs to be opened up. I would get the car on stands or a rack and verify that you do not have an issue with the shifter. If all seems good get a buddy to sit in the car with his foot on the break while running and check reverse with the cable disconnected. Go from neutral to reverse and see if it makes a difference with the engagement. If not the shifter is not the issue. I think it might need to come out and be looked at. My suggestion would be to have a fresh paper ring and seal kit installed with clutches and bushings if needed. Good luck. Vince
OMG yes.

Center support. yeesh, the sun is getting to me.

Quick Reply: TH400 Reverse Problems