Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built 4L60E Transmiission PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Built 4L60E Transmiission PROBLEMS

I just Recentally installed a LS2 Engine in July of 2006 in my 99 Trans am .. and a Built Tranmission .. Now after 12000 miles the Transmission is Slipping before it used to be albe to floor it and it would shift from second to 3rd and fall on its face , like the transmission wouldnt allow it to go any faster .. but now last night after the Fireworks i floored it and it would shift right from 2nd to 3rd and do just fine picking up sleep very well .. but idk if its in the wiring or if its just the Transmission is going bad , cause now this never used to happen but from a dead stop in when i put it into Drive and proceed as normal and it dont shift from 1st to second till about 30mph .. so i dont know if its a shift modgel or what .. some somone please help me out ..
Old 07-04-2007, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

You need to get a scanner on it and see whats being comanded and if there are any codes first thing.

Originally Posted by BadLtBlu99TA
I just Recentally installed a LS2 Engine in July of 2006 in my 99 Trans am .. and a Built Tranmission .. Now after 12000 miles the Transmission is Slipping before it used to be albe to floor it and it would shift from second to 3rd and fall on its face , like the transmission wouldnt allow it to go any faster .. but now last night after the Fireworks i floored it and it would shift right from 2nd to 3rd and do just fine picking up sleep very well .. but idk if its in the wiring or if its just the Transmission is going bad , cause now this never used to happen but from a dead stop in when i put it into Drive and proceed as normal and it dont shift from 1st to second till about 30mph .. so i dont know if its a shift modgel or what .. some somone please help me out ..

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-04-2007, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To begin with, what is the fluid condition?

I woud bet the "falling on it's face" is a case of 3rd gear L/U being enabled at WOT... would be similar to shifting from 2nd gear to 4th gear in a stick car. Basically it's a tuning issue in my opinion.

But let me get this straight cause I have read that set of symptoms three times and I am not clear yet.... initially had the 3rd gear thing where it did not pull well, last night pulled ok in 3rd. Now it has a delayed 1-2 upshift. Anything I missed or am I way off?

If the fluid condition is ok and charred or burnt smelling, then I would take a careful look at the TPS and the VSS. Either one of those could create similar symptoms. Having the DTC's if there are any is important here. Also, it needs to be driven by a technician with a scanning device in order to determine if the Torque Converter is engaged after the 2-3 shift at WOT.

g
Old 07-04-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default tranmission

no your not missing anything .. but the fluid seems to be good thou ..
Old 07-04-2007, 10:55 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for getting back to us. Let's get some details from the car... sometimes it's not enough to only hear symptoms. I'll stick with my original comments... try this and let's see what we can come up with.

If the fluid condition is ok and charred or burnt smelling, then I would take a careful look at the TPS and the VSS. Either one of those could create similar symptoms. Having the DTC's if there are any is important here. Also, it needs to be driven by a technician with a scanning device in order to determine if the Torque Converter is engaged after the 2-3 shift at WOT.

g
Old 07-05-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Post transmission

ok that sounds good .. i will try and find some around here who can diagnose it ..
Old 07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

What could be the Chances it being the Torque converter ..cause now when i get on the gas around 60 and then let off , and then try to accelerate the engine revs up to about 2000rpms and then starts to pick up speed in 3rd gear. Let me also let you know that all i have is 1'st 2nd and 3rd Gear i dont have any Drive at all ... at least it wont kick up to Drive .. and i havent really had it up past maybe 80 so idk if it would kick to Drive or not .. but i dont think it would .. it just kinda seems like maybe the torque converter isnt engaging right or somthing .. Let me also Remind you that this is a different Torque converter .. The one the Guy sent me after he supposly built the tranni was suttable for the tranni i got ...but i turned my Stock on in for a core So atleast the one that was in there now seems like stock .. but i dknt understand how the tranni after 12000 miles From engine Replacement would of gone bad aready .. who knows ... probally the way i drive ... How much would it be for a Stage 3 Tranni to 4L60E ? to handle The 450HP of the LS2 Engine I have in the 1999 Trans Am now ? Thanks Again
Old 07-09-2007, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Been going through some posts from last week... got slammed Fri Morning and have been trying to catch up when I can, didn't mean to leave you hanging.

Dending on which company you choose to purchase from the prices and Levels will vary.

If you were to go to our website and lookat our Level 2 unit I am confident it would suit your needs. Most Level 3 units include replacement shafts and other hard part upgrades. At the power level you are at that would simply be overkill in my opinion.

Use our level 2 as a comparator to other comapnies' units and that will help you in your decision making process if you have not pulled the trigger already.

Fell free to give me a call to discuss your needs in person, even if you choose to go with someone elses product. Don't mind helping a bit.

Good Luck

g
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

When you say you dont have any drive please explain , Do you mean that if you place it in that position from a dead stop it will not move? And as was ask earlier what is the fluid condition. I doubt its a converter issue but there are still several possibilites that may not require a trans depending on the answers to the questions above. 570-578-5686 if you would rather speak in person.

Originally Posted by BadLtBlu99TA
What could be the Chances it being the Torque converter ..cause now when i get on the gas around 60 and then let off , and then try to accelerate the engine revs up to about 2000rpms and then starts to pick up speed in 3rd gear. Let me also let you know that all i have is 1'st 2nd and 3rd Gear i dont have any Drive at all ... at least it wont kick up to Drive .. and i havent really had it up past maybe 80 so idk if it would kick to Drive or not .. but i dont think it would .. it just kinda seems like maybe the torque converter isnt engaging right or somthing .. Let me also Remind you that this is a different Torque converter .. The one the Guy sent me after he supposly built the tranni was suttable for the tranni i got ...but i turned my Stock on in for a core So atleast the one that was in there now seems like stock .. but i dknt understand how the tranni after 12000 miles From engine Replacement would of gone bad aready .. who knows ... probally the way i drive ... How much would it be for a Stage 3 Tranni to 4L60E ? to handle The 450HP of the LS2 Engine I have in the 1999 Trans Am now ? Thanks Again

Call 888-744-6542