Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help: no 3rd or 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help: no 3rd or 4th gear

So i recently installed a yank ss3800 and around a 40,000 mile 4l60. the converter had maybe a couple hundred miles on it. These replaced the original 4l60 which had almosts 95k miles with a custom shift kit but that was all, and a vig2800 converter. The car shifted ok when i got done with the swap but all the WOT shifts were off or it wouldnt shift at all (2-3). I did some tweaking with the tune and it seemed to be alot better but still didnt wanna shift from 2-3 all the time.

Last night im on the freeway cruisin around 65mph playing with the stall and doin a couple wot runs. Everything is ok then i pulled the shifter outa overdrive and into drive hit the gas and nothing is there, instantly to the rev limiter. i pull over the car drives just like normal first and seccond gear, but either it wont shift into 3rd or 4th or it does and there is nothing there. Manually shifting works from 1-2 but in D same as b4. if i get the rpm's up high enough it just seems to stall till around 4k rpm then starts to accelerate again but in 2nd gear.

Can someone please shed some light on my situation. The car only makes around 380-390rwhp N/A, i dont see how this could have possibly ruined my trans...
Old 07-28-2007, 06:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Unfortunatly it sounds like you have lost the 3-4 clutch set , Basically it will feel like 1-2 normal then when its time for the 2-3 shift it will feel like it shifted to neutral.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Unfortunatly it sounds like you have lost the 3-4 clutch set , Basically it will feel like 1-2 normal then when its time for the 2-3 shift it will feel like it shifted to neutral.
damn, oh well... any idea what caused this? There was no popping or clunking or anything just was gone
Old 07-28-2007, 06:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Its would be hard to say but generally a sudden loss happens when the snap ring for the 3-4 clutch breaks through the input drum . Based on your description it sounds like it had alot of clearance which can contribute to that based on the hitting th rev on the 2-3 shift, But its a mechanical hard parts failure Im afraid.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Its would be hard to say but generally a sudden loss happens when the snap ring for the 3-4 clutch breaks through the input drum . Based on your description it sounds like it had alot of clearance which can contribute to that based on the hitting th rev on the 2-3 shift, But its a mechanical hard parts failure Im afraid.
Alright, thank you for your help! ill keep that in mind when i get the cash to replace it

oh and one other question.. Do you think going from the 2800 to the 3800 converter helped the death of the tranny?
Old 07-29-2007, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After seeing many countless 4L60E's loose the 3/4 clutches. I have found it to be rather rare for the sanp ring to blow out the drum.... have seen it a few times, but usually those customers admit to having their "transmission guy" turn the line pressure up and having their accumulators blocked or some other modification made that caused it to happen. But hey that's my experience.

I believe 3/4 is inop is because of a few conditions in your case. A higher stall, preowned used transmission, rev limited 2/3 shifts and tuning issues related to the new combination.

We found during our R&D on these that when we allowed the 2/3 shift to occur after hitting the rev limiter anywhere above 6500 rpm the unit would not live long at all. You might have had the tranny looked at prior to installing it. But hey, it might have lived a while too.... ya never know.

g
Old 07-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
After seeing many countless 4L60E's loose the 3/4 clutches. I have found it to be rather rare for the sanp ring to blow out the drum.... have seen it a few times, but usually those customers admit to having their "transmission guy" turn the line pressure up and having their accumulators blocked or some other modification made that caused it to happen. But hey that's my experience.

I believe 3/4 is inop is because of a few conditions in your case. A higher stall, preowned used transmission, rev limited 2/3 shifts and tuning issues related to the new combination.

We found during our R&D on these that when we allowed the 2/3 shift to occur after hitting the rev limiter anywhere above 6500 rpm the unit would not live long at all. You might have had the tranny looked at prior to installing it. But hey, it might have lived a while too.... ya never know.

g
do you agree it is also a mechanical problem or not?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, in my opinion there is an internal failure... most likely the 3/4 clutches have burned.

g