Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a 4l80e

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a 4l80e

Well I went to the junkyard today and started looking under chevy trucks to see if I could find a 4l80e there wasnt that many pickups so then I started looking in the vans I ended up buying a 94 4l80e for 66 bucks not sure if it works or not the fluid actually didnt look to bad the van that I got it out of was just rusted pretty bad especially for a 94. Ill prob start looking into getting it rebuilt locally in the next few weeks. Taking it out wasnt so bad me and my buddy had it ready to come out in about 1hr or so. The trans is really heavy and we had to call a few other ppl to come help us get it out as we forgot the prybar and they dont allow jacks in the junkyard.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

cool. pics?
Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

Here is one pic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/100_8370.jpg
Old 08-05-2007, 10:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey great news.... you might give the boys at P-Built a call..... they are in your neighborhood and being as they build at least one other racing tranny I would bet they can handle that one for you as well.

Good Luck with your new project.

g
Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks thats probably going to be the first place I call just need to figure out what kind build I wanna go with. Ill probably call them in a week or two. Trying to sell my other trannies first.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM
FormerVendor

If they cannot handle it give me a call... we build those regularly!

g
Old 09-10-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is there a difference in the older 80e's?
Old 09-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Tech Resident

Just a question, but are you sure that's a 2X4 model, not a 4X4 model?

Did they even make 4X4 vans? Beats me, thought I'd inquire.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Just a question, but are you sure that's a 2X4 model, not a 4X4 model?

Did they even make 4X4 vans? Beats me, thought I'd inquire.
HAHA no its not a 4x4 model it is just a big trans. They usally dont make 4x4 vans as far as I know but they do have some kind of conversion kits to make a van 4x4. I wouldnt of gotten a 4x4 model because I wouldnt really feel like doing other mods. Btw as far as I know the electronics are the same. The only things that are different are the bellhousing newer style has 12 o clock bolt hole. Also some of the older ones have different shifter latch rods but mine didnt. Atleast thats what I have gathered. Could be wrong though. I also believe the cooling lines are in different spots on the newer ones. The newer ones are supposdly alittle stronger but another thing I gathered was you can make the olders ones pretty much just as good with a rebuild.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RamAir02TA77
HAHA no its not a 4x4 model it is just a big trans. They usally dont make 4x4 vans as far as I know but they do have some kind of conversion kits to make a van 4x4. I wouldnt of gotten a 4x4 model because I wouldnt really feel like doing other mods. Btw as far as I know the electronics are the same. The only things that are different are the bellhousing newer style has 12 o clock bolt hole. Also some of the older ones have different shifter latch rods but mine didnt. Atleast thats what I have gathered. Could be wrong though. I also believe the cooling lines are in different spots on the newer ones. The newer ones are supposdly alittle stronger but another thing I gathered was you can make the olders ones pretty much just as good with a rebuild.
I was just checking. 4L80E's come in both 2X4 and 4X4, and people come here all the time asking how to make the 4X4 model work with the f-body. They're usually crushed when they find out you can't make it work without some serious modification. I didn't want you to get your hopes up and in the end, you find out the tranny won't work.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

I was just checking. 4L80E's come in both 2X4 and 4X4, and people come here all the time asking how to make the 4X4 model work with the f-body. They're usually crushed when they find out you can't make it work without some serious modification. I didn't want you to get your hopes up and in the end, you find out the tranny won't work.
Well I did the best of research I could and found out what year trannies would be best. People said as long as you get 94+ you should be fine. The tranny is now rebuilt and I just need to buy a few things. Im hoping everything works out. I tryed to not get a 4X4 4l80e because of the modifications and I was glad that I didnt end up with a 4X4 unit. I dont think the modifications are really that big of a deal anyway just didnt feel like messing with it. Im pretty much following the sticky up top with some added questions. Im hoping to have the swap complete by the end of OCT we will see I will keep everyone informed on how it works out. I was mainly concerned about the electronics but they are all the same I was told. I was concerned about the shifter linkage being different but my latch bolted right on. The builder said prnd321 are in the same order as the 4l60e. My next move it to get a slip yoke which I already was told what kind to get and where to call so I should be able to come up with something hopefully. Someone on hp tuners forums redid my file and made it 4l80e OS so that stuff is ready for when I need it.

Last edited by RamAir02TA77; 09-11-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Resident

Well I did the best of research I could and found out what year trannies would be best. People said as long as you get 94+ you should be fine. The tranny is now rebuilt and I just need to buy a few things. Im hoping everything works out. I tryed to not get a 4X4 4l80e because of the modifications and I was glad that I didnt end up with a 4X4 unit. I dont think the modifications are really that big of a deal anyway just didnt feel like messing with it. Im pretty much following the sticky up top with some added questions. Im hoping to have the swap complete by the end of OCT we will see I will keep everyone informed on how it works out. I was mainly concerned about the electronics but they are all the same I was told. I was concerned about the shifter linkage being different but my latch bolted right on. The builder said prnd321 are in the same order as the 4l60e. My next move it to get a slip yoke which I already was told what kind to get and where to call so I should be able to come up with something hopefully. Someone on hp tuners forums redid my file and made it 4l80e OS so that stuff is ready for when I need it.
Sounds like you got it all worked out Best of luck! I'm sure you'll be happy when it's done. Those trannies are bad ****'s compared to our 60's.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Regular

Yea im hoping it all works out and from the research I did and the answers I got it seems to be fine so far. So we will see hopefully around the end of OCT.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Tech Resident

I see a built 4L60E is in your sig. Why are you switching to the 4L80E? Just curious.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

I see a built 4L60E is in your sig. Why are you switching to the 4L80E? Just curious.
Because I know the 4l60e even built wont handle big shots of spray and high rpms. I primarily race the car and want something that will last. I dont want to worry about the 3-4 clutch pack going out all the time. I see problems with 4l60es everyday on this board even when built so before I break this one im going to sell it. I went with the 4l60e because at that time the car was my only car and was my DD and I wanted it back on the road. Now I usually drive to the track and race it and drive home. I also occasionaly drive it on the street. Obviously almost everything will wear out and break when you race/abuse it but the 4l60es dont seem that reliable when your running 10's from what I have seen. Obviously there is someone out there that has run 10's forever on a 4l60e and this and that but at the end of the day I would rather have something extra heavy duty. I usually try to go the track every weekend and run a few passes. Im hoping my 10 bolt holds in there for awhile yet until I have the cash to upgrade that.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 PM
Tech Resident

Because I know the 4l60e even built wont handle big shots of spray and high rpms. I primarily race the car and want something that will last. I dont want to worry about the 3-4 clutch pack going out all the time. I see problems with 4l60es everyday on this board even when built so before I break this one im going to sell it. I went with the 4l60e because at that time the car was my only car and was my DD and I wanted it back on the road. Now I usually drive to the track and race it and drive home. I also occasionaly drive it on the street. Obviously almost everything will wear out and break when you race/abuse it but the 4l60es dont seem that reliable when your running 10's from what I have seen. Obviously there is someone out there that has run 10's forever on a 4l60e and this and that but at the end of the day I would rather have something extra heavy duty. I usually try to go the track every weekend and run a few passes. Im hoping my 10 bolt holds in there for awhile yet until I have the cash to upgrade that.
Well, in the 4L60E's defense, for every 1 guy running around with a 4L80E conversion, there's 1,000 guys running around with 4L60E's, so honestly, seeing 1 4L80E complaint should be equivalent to seeing 1,000 4L60E complaints.

That being said, I can understand where you're going with this. The 4L80E will definitely take a lot more punishment more reliably. Hope you're happy with the results!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Well, in the 4L60E's defense, for every 1 guy running around with a 4L80E conversion, there's 1,000 guys running around with 4L60E's, so honestly, seeing 1 4L80E complaint should be equivalent to seeing 1,000 4L60E complaints.

That being said, I can understand where you're going with this. The 4L80E will definitely take a lot more punishment more reliably. Hope you're happy with the results!
I understand what your saying but from what I hear about the 4l80e I dont think there would be as many complaints haha. Im hoping ill be happy. Ill be happy as long as it makes the 1-2 and 2-3 shift on the juice.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats, I got mine for $100, not a bad deal. I'm throwing it in stock to see what it does, hopefully the manual valveboddy will help it hold till winter.

-Dustin-
Old 09-14-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
Congrats, I got mine for $100, not a bad deal. I'm throwing it in stock to see what it does, hopefully the manual valveboddy will help it hold till winter.

-Dustin-
Thats cool $100 is defiently still cheap for a 4l80e. I was thinking of throwing mine in stock but I decided just to get it rebuilt instead of pulling it out again. What kinda 1/4 times or power are you making?
Old 09-14-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

No 1/4 mile or numbers yet, I am finishing the trans swap tomorrow morning. Trangso said with the full manual kit it would hold 600-700hp no problem. But it might be broken already, so we'll see. Vigilante made me a nice lil 3200 converter for my LT1 flexplate, so I'd recommend them when you need a converter. Low $600's cost wise.

-Dustin-

Quick Reply: Got a 4l80e