Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

t-lock questions???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default t-lock questions???

just trying to understand a t-lock used for dyno purposes.

if an auto dyno's at 400 with a stall no t-lock, and 440 with a t-lock same stall, how is this still considered rwhp? when the car comes off the dyno, it's back to the original no t-lock and 400rwhp. does this make sense?

i'm a m6 and just trying to understand why you would say you have 440rwhp if you had to use a t lock to get it?

when you're driving down the road it's back to the auto soaking up the extra rwhp in the drivetrain (stall and auto) again anyway, right? or way wrong?

thanks
rob
Old 09-26-2007, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

because high dyno numbers are sexy

everyone knows that autos suck up power but still want to hit the magical 400rwhp number so they pull out all the dyno tricks. its a competition thing, on a m6, you cant get close to 400rwhp with bolt ons + cam, on an auto, you usually have to get heads also.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dynos are worthless for measuring HP but are great for tuning. My Th400 setup made 470rwhp which was enough to get my 3850lb car to run 10.5 @ 130mph... so yeah.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe i should simplify my question.

is a t-lock for auto's just a "dyno trick" to make it look like there is more hp there?
or
what is the purpose of a t-lock?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

t-lock dosent make it look like theres more there because it is actually there, But what it does is cancels the loss in the numbers through the converter . A converter on a dyno acts like your manual if your clutch was slipping , The numbers are real but the way power is handled through and auto and the converter is different in a good way. Where on the dyno the manual may make higher numbers compared to and unlocked auto , The torque multiplication of the converter more than makeS up for it on the track ,And torque is what makes things go , A manual can only use the torq thats being transfered through the trans from the engine. The converter multiplies it 1-2-3 times in some cases. 300 FT POUND at 3000 rpm in a manual is just that 300 foot pounds, In and auto may suddenly be 600 at the same RPM , The reason the auto will be faster all things equal. Locking the converter is usefull for tuning to get acurate peak hp readings without the converter as a variable.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thank you
Old 09-29-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so it would be ok to say that if it is a 400rwhp without the t-lock after the tune, that is the true rwhp number and not the 450 it puts down with the t-lock?

i mean someone could say yeah, my car put down 450 down on the dyno and just not say they used the t-lock, but there real rwhp # should be 400? or am i way off.
because when you come off the dyno, all that "soak" in the tranny area is going to be showing again isn't it?
it's no big deal, i'm just trying to learn.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by wvaboy
so it would be ok to say that if it is a 400rwhp without the t-lock after the tune, that is the true rwhp number and not the 450 it puts down with the t-lock?

i mean someone could say yeah, my car put down 450 down on the dyno and just not say they used the t-lock, but there real rwhp # should be 400? or am i way off.
because when you come off the dyno, all that "soak" in the tranny area is going to be showing again isn't it?
it's no big deal, i'm just trying to learn.
Yes but HP and TQ curves are not that simple because the torque is applied at a higher level during the entire run HP actually used could also be considered higher since its the amount of torque applied over a given time moving and object that determines real HP

Call 888-744-6542