Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate transmission or have one built?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate transmission or have one built?

Would it be better to buy an aftermarket tranny like a TCI, Hughes, ect. Or try and find a cheap one, buy a rebuild kit, valve body, servos, ect. and have a shop build it up. I guess depending on how cheap the tranny is and how much a rebuild cost, it may be cheaper than a Crate tranny, but I know that some after market trannys have warranties, not sure if the tranny shops around me, do or not.

This will be a TH350 or 400, full-manual valve body, trans-brake, and looking for 500ft/lbs on motor and then some spray.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:51 AM
11 Second Club

Well, where your at i would say find one yourself and build it, cause its going to cost you an arm and a leg to get it to baghdad.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol - if ur in baghdad i'd say build it urself, if ur going to be back here, i'd say have acetrannys or flt or performabuilt take care of ya
Old 11-04-2007, 03:34 AM
On The Tree

aye... Guess I should specify that I'm deployed to Iraq right now, I'll be home (Missouri) in a few months.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give us or ACE a call we can give you exactly what you are looking for. I'm not sure if the other sponsors offer a reverse pattern brake unit. However from conversations Gil and I have had, we can do them. Vince
Old 11-04-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The challenge with a crate warranty is that most places require the tranny to be returned to their shop for service. The shipping and downtime can cost more than the repair.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:00 PM
FormerVendor

Vince is right. We do offer RMVB 3 speeds and all sorts of other combinations.

How much spray are you working with?

Let me also say Thank You for your service to our Country.

All you need to do is give me and / or Vince a call when you get home. No doubt that either of us can meet your expectations for a transmission you can drop the hammer on! I know that building transmissions one at a time and not in an assembly line environment allows us to hold our units to the highest standards. Not to mention, when you call for service or questions down the road... chances are you will talk to the person who built your unit. Not a guy on a tech line in another building!

Thanks again and be safe!

g
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

How much would one go for?

As for this first build, I say no more than a 400 shot, but I want a tranny I can keep when I go bigger.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 AM
FormerVendor

Honestly, because I do not know the first thing about your car or what the future goals are I cannot give you a price... I can give you a price range for aq TH400 that is well built with a RVMB... you would be looking somewhere in the 1,500.00 - 2,100.00 range. That is subject to change once we begin to discuss your combination in detail.

A solid Torque Converter for this application would run in the $750.00 neighborhood.

That ought to get you in the ball park with your planning. Give me a shout when you get back to the States.

Be safe and here's wish you and your fellow Servicemen and women a Happy Veterans Day. We're thinkin' about you guys!

g
Old 11-12-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

give gilbert a call at ACE he is very helpful and can answer all your questions. I am sending my th-400 to him next week. the best thing about ace is that they offer a warranty so you know they will stand behind their work.