Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Kit...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kit...Need help

I want to do something to my trans., to improve shifts. I was thinking of getting a shift kit. I also want to do the work myself, so I will need to get something with good instructions. What do you guys recommend?

I would love to get a TC, but right now i just dont have the $$$.
Also would a shift kit affect anything when i put a TC down the road?

Forgive my ignorance, when it comes to trans. I dont know jack...
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I like the transgo HD2 it has good instuctions and can even be gotten with a video.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-21-2007, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info.
Where is the best place to get one from?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

A couple of the sponsors here carry them we dont carry parts at this time but some of the other trans sponsors do.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-21-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

ws6store.com is where i got mine when i had a A4 car
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only SPONSOR I know of that has the HD-2 kit is FLT. PM Vince about it. All the other sponsors just have the normal Transgo kit, which I hear isn't as good. Again, DON'T buy the normal Transgo kit, buy the Transgo HD-2 kit. PM Vince@FLT about it, he'll hook you up.

If you'd rather order it online, here's the link:
http://finishlinetrans.com/store/pro...products_id=86

But I'd still call up Vince if I were you. He'd have valuable input on the kit, I'm sure, if you called him over the phone. I'd strongly recommending listening to what Vince has to say about any tranny mod.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold on there Choco... take a look at the published builds on my website! I have never offered a High Performance 4L60E to any customer without the Trans-Go HD-2 Reprogramming Kit. Not once buddy!

During my R&D of this unit I tried kits from Superior, B&M and other manufacturers. They do not come close to addressing the concerns the -2 kit does, and that is why I settled on that kit.

Also, we do sell those kits to the public at large, and of course we provide the support needed to get it installed right the 1st time. What is important to know about that kit though is the fact that to install it completely and properly the transmission must be completely disassembled...meaning a very thorough working knowledge of Automatic Transmissions is a prerequisite! It is highly recommended by the manufactruer, Trans Go, that it be installed by professionals. That is not to say an amateur is not capable, not at all, my point is I just want the guys here to know what they are getting into.

If you would like pricing info shoot me a p.m. and I'll get it right back to you.

Thanks!

g
Old 11-21-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
Hold on there Choco... take a look at the published builds on my website! I have never offered a High Performance 4L60E to any customer without the Trans-Go HD-2 Reprogramming Kit. Not once buddy!

During my R&D of this unit I tried kits from Superior, B&M and other manufacturers. They do not come close to addressing the concerns the -2 kit does, and that is why I settled on that kit.

Also, we do sell those kits to the public at large, and of course we provide the support needed to get it installed right the 1st time. What is important to know about that kit though is the fact that to install it completely and properly the transmission must be completely disassembled...meaning a very thorough working knowledge of Automatic Transmissions is a prerequisite! It is highly recommended by the manufactruer, Trans Go, that it be installed by professionals. That is not to say an amateur is not capable, not at all, my point is I just want the guys here to know what they are getting into.

If you would like pricing info shoot me a p.m. and I'll get it right back to you.

Thanks!

g
When I said "sponsor", I was talking about sponsors like WS6store, Speed Inc., Thunder Racing, SPDC, BYUNSpeed, TSP - the big general parts retailers on this site. They all sell the normal Transgo kit. The only sponsor I've ever seen sell the HD-2 was FLT because they have a small online store for transmission parts, and they're not a large general parts retailer. I had no idea you sold individual parts and my comment wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the general parts retailers that sponsor this site.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Annnnd now I know the rest of the story! I did not know many other sponsors offer those shift kits. But now I do!

That's why I like hanging out here at Tech sooo much, I learn something new everyday. Thanks man.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

g
Old 11-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Resident

Sorry Gilbert, I didn't mean to count you out. I didn't see an online store on your site, so I just naturally assumed. I know you install the HD-2, but I wasn't sure about the retailing. It's my fault.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At any rate, the HD-2 kit is the way to go. And I strongly suggest buying from a sponsor, because there are a couple of tricks that really help and sponsor support on this site is second to none.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Launching!

what the difference between the reg trans go and the hd 2 ?
Old 11-23-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 yes please
Old 11-23-2007, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

What is important to know about the HD-2 Reprograming Kit is the fact that it was designed with High Performance builds in mind. While a "Jr." kit is designed to upgrade and update the hydraulics for better lubrication, better line pressure and not much else.

The HD-2 Kit includes different piston return spring kits that other shift kits do not. I cannot remember the details on other kits as I simply have not installed one in years now. But, the purpose of the heavier piston return springs is to eliminate centrifugal apply of the piston at a very high rpm that will glaze the clutches. This is critical in the 3/4 clutch pack. That is one major example of the differences in the kits.

This is the biggest reason these kits should not be installed by amateurs... unless their expectations are set accordingly of course. It is likely that an amateur will be going back into his unit after building it. And if he does need to go back into it can he find the problem? I dunno. I sure don't mean to say non professionals are not capable of the installation, just mean to say the kit was designed for professionals in a controlled environment.

Hope that helps. Don't mean to be superficial at all, it's just that it is very difficult to go into all of the extreme details for comparisons sake.

Do this... go to Vinces' thread with all of the photo's. Here's the link....https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/800809-flt-takes-wow-factor-lot-pics.html

Scroll down until you can see a valve body that has been completely disassembled. And then ask yourself this.... "Can I take one of those apart like that, flip it around during the process of cleaning it and doing the necessary modifications, and then put it back together exactly correct the 1st time." If you don't get it back together right the 1st time you could easily cause significant damage to the clutches and other internal parts. The shift kit does not explain how to do that, it only addresses the necessary changes. But if it is going to be done right the valve body must be scattered.

Spend the time to read this thread as well... it is a sticky that was put up for good reason! https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/631230-basement-4l60e-buildup-photos.html

Happy Holidays!

g
Old 11-23-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for a very clear explanation. Content of this is ,some job will be cheaper if you let a pro accomplish them.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:59 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

IIRC the difference between the two kits is that the JR kit is for HD/towing or stock improvement. Don't get me wrong it can be modified to shift pretty hard as well. The HD-2 kit gives you the full gear command function, larger boost valve, the centrifugal springs for the input drum, different 1-2 accumulator springs and a new 1-2 shift valve, plus some of the stuff found in the JR kit. The HD-2 kit IMO is way more of a performance kit and comes with much more over the JR kit. Both kits address the lockup valve in the valve body, 1-2 accumulator valve springs, and a pressure regulator spring for increased line pressure.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

TransGo sells a "Shift Kit" and a Reprogramming Kit for many different transmissions.

The "Shift Kit" (which is trademarked by the way and only TransGo has the right to use that term) is a correction kit. It was developed to help transmission builders fix and prevent common issues or complaints with a trans. It isn't usually designed to firm up shifts, and usually a driver wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a stock trans and a trans with a "Shift Kit".

The Shift Kits are often called "SK" Such as "SK 700-R4" and there is a easier to install kit called the "SK 700-R4 Jr."

The Reprogramming Kits are the "hot rod" kit, designed for hot rods, race cars, and heavy towing.
They typically give firmer shifts, more control, etc.

The Reprogramming Kit 4L60-E HD-2 is the one you want as mentioned.

In some cases the savvy trans guy can buy one of each and the SK (usually less expensive) has all the parts used in the Reprog Kit and just substituting the instructions will yield the results you want for a performance vehicle.

So from then on you can use the less expensive kit to achieve the same results. However as mentioned, it isn't the case on the 4L60E.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by vikingramair
Thanks for a very clear explanation. Content of this is ,some job will be cheaper if you let a pro accomplish them.
Good point Viking, but again it really boils down to ones expectations. What I tell my customers is; one must know ones technical limitations... and then push those limitations from time to time if one is going to get better.

Here is another way of putting it. Would it be better to spend a whole bunch of time learning how to do something you might eventually do a handful of times, or spend less time finding out who are the best of the best and let them do that job for you... all the while you focus on the things you do best.

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 11-24-2007 at 07:54 AM.