Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock-up with 4L60E full manual valve body

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lock-up with 4L60E full manual valve body

i know there's not a whole lot of people out there with a fmvb in a 4l60e but maybe there is someone out there that can shed some light. what is the easiest and best way to keep lock-up when installing a mvb?

fwiw, i will be running the stock shifter for now but soon will be going to a ratchet shifter and wanting to know how to make the reverse lights work
Old 01-24-2008, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if it was originally equipped with an A4, you will not need to do anything in order to retain Lock-Up.

If it is a conversion, then there are several ways to manage Lock-Up. But I would need to know the powertrain combination in order to spell some of those options out.

As far as the reverse lights, the B&M Pro Ratchet and many other shifters come from the manufacturer with both neutral and reverse lamp micro switches! It's just a matter of identifyiing the wires and swapping terminals... Piece of cake there huh?

g
Old 01-24-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

gilbert, its an original a4 car. im just putting a mvb in it and want to retain lock up in OD. the main harness plug is going to have to be left unplugged, so there are no electronics telling the tranny to lock the converter up, right?

either way, isnt there some tuning that must be done to make the lock up work? this is all new to me since the number of ppl who has done this is very scarce.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's right, when the transmission electrical connector is unplugged the PCM cannot control Lock-Up. Not sure why you are being told to leave the transmission electrical connector unplugged. I have never had to do that using traditional modifications when taking a 4L60E to full manual.

The only Tuning that might need to be done is to turn off the reporting of Shift Solenoid and EPC DTC's. At least that's all I can remember for now. Other than PWM, Lock-Up functionality is not affected by using Trans-Go's HD-3 Reprogramming Kit, therefore no Tuning should be required for the Lock-Up feature to operate. That is the only kit I have used to take one full manual.

Good Luck with it,

g
Old 01-24-2008, 11:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I am pretty sure the transgo instructions say to not plug it in will get a copy tomorrow and post , We played with it once in the "ASRO DYNO" and some strange things occurred

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've done a half/dozen of the HD-3 kits which converts to full forward manual control on the 4L60E. Gilbert your correct, you leave the trans 13 pin connector attached as normal. Frank, the connections they have you unplug are the two shift solenoids which reprogramming will be required to shut off both shift solenoid codes as Gilbert mentioned above. TCC will remain unaffected by this modification as well, just FYI.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for advice guys. i dont want to get any sort of argument war going on here but we may all learn a lil something in the end.

honestly, it really dont make me any difference to plug it in or leave it unplugged. the only thing i care about is retaining my lockup. keep in mind, my tuner is 3 hrs away and i may not be able to take my car to him immediately. i would like my lockup to work before i have time to take it to him if at all possible

thanks

Last edited by RICEETER; 01-25-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by RICEETER
thanks for advice guys. i dont want to get any sory of argument war going on here but we may all learn a lil something in the end.

honestly, it really dont make me any difference to plug it in or leave it unplugged. the only thing i care about is retaining my lockup. keep in mind, my tuner is 3 hrs away and i may not be able to take my car to him immediately. i would like my lockup to work before i have time to take it to him if at all possible

thanks
Remember when we were talking about it I said that it seemed logical you could unplug the shift solenoids inside the trans and then delete the test for the codes in tuning and I thoought it should work that way so we have a concurence ,

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Lock-up with 4L60E full manual valve body