Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What transmission to use?
Performance rebuild the 4L60E
62.07%
put in 700R4 or other transmission?
20.69%
Do a T-56 conversion?
17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Broken 4L60E#2

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken 4L60E#2

Well I just lost my 2nd gear last night and my 3rd and 4th a few weeks before This is my 2nd 4L60E and my previous one lost third and forth but never 2nd too! I am building my car for street drag and track circuit racing. I used to want to put a T-56 in my car but then after my second 4L60E went out now I even thought of getting a completely different car. I thought about a 1996 Corvette Grand Sport but believe it or not I have fallen back in love with my Z28 even though I just lost 2nd as well now One of my friends says he knows a guy selling a...98 I think 700R4 for $200 so I thought about it. Bare with me I am a newbie when it comes to auto trans other than a 4L60E because it's all I have really used. I want to know what you guys think and advise me where to go in this situation. I am open to any advice. I am going to post a poll for options I have considered so far but if you have ideas other than what is on the poll please let me know. Please help me
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you need a Level 4 4l60e from Finishline Trans
Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 AM
11 Second Club

Default 4l60e

If you need a good place to build one. MPH Automotive in Nixa, MO. 417-551-1100 and talk to Pat. Tell him Sam gave you his # and he can build you whatever you need.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay clear of the 4l60e's. They'll never last. I went through 3 the last on being $3300before I finally realized it. Made the switch over to the 4l80e and so far not a single problem. Im not sure whats all invloved getting one in an LT1 but it may be worth it.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matt D
Sounds like you need a Level 4 4l60e from Finishline Trans
Hell yeah...mine's holding up great and I'm not exactly nice to it. There are many folks running a lot of power through FLT trannies. Call Vince up, he'll answer any questions and take good care of you. They're having a free shipping special right now too, so great time to take advantage. They are also the only sponsor to offer a refresh plan. If your tranny ever goes, you pay $250 plus parts and you get it back as good as new. Vince takes his trannies seriously and stands behind them 110%. There are other companies that pretend to be good, but FLT has proven it over and over and over.......

You could go the 4L80 route, but I decided to try a 60 from a reputable company first. For a little more dough, you could get everything needed to swap in the 80, but I didn't want the extra weight or the horsepower loss, however small. Not saying it isn't a good option....it's probably the last tranny you'd ever buy. I may swap some day, but I want to be making a lot more power first. You have to decide what's best for your goals.

Last edited by 99Hawk262; 01-30-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/853902-all-4l80e-owners-i-need-feed-back-please.html

Here's a good link about 80's and horsepower loss. I apparently don't make enough horsepower to warrant one . Seriously though, I think the 80 would be overkill in my situation. Good read nonetheless.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by LTtorque
Well I just lost my 2nd gear last night and my 3rd and 4th a few weeks before This is my 2nd 4L60E and my previous one lost third and forth but never 2nd too! I am building my car for street drag and track circuit racing. I used to want to put a T-56 in my car but then after my second 4L60E went out now I even thought of getting a completely different car. I thought about a 1996 Corvette Grand Sport but believe it or not I have fallen back in love with my Z28 even though I just lost 2nd as well now One of my friends says he knows a guy selling a...98 I think 700R4 for $200 so I thought about it. Bare with me I am a newbie when it comes to auto trans other than a 4L60E because it's all I have really used. I want to know what you guys think and advise me where to go in this situation. I am open to any advice. I am going to post a poll for options I have considered so far but if you have ideas other than what is on the poll please let me know. Please help me
Tell us about your previous transmissions. was the first one stock and what about the one that just had a problem? Built? Local Rebuild? Used?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-30-2008, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Well the first transmission I drove and raced on for about three years I think and it was stock. I had a bolt from my rear main seal from the motor come lose then the torque converter threw that grade 8 bolt around in the housing and cracked it before I could figure out what the sound was when I cornered hard...I ended up pulling the tranny and the bell housing was cracked all the way around The funny thing was before I pulled the tranny I removed the bottom bell housing cover and the bolt was sitting right there in the bottom of it. So I drove the car and it was just fine but I decided to pull the tranny of fear something could happen with the bell housing being completely separated. I replaced the oil pan on the motor as well when I pulled the tranny. Anyway I had the bell housing welded and it was fine so I put it back in the car. The very same evening I was driving down the highway going easy on the tranny and everything seemed ok. Then as I was driving I lost 4th then as I pulled off the highway 3rd I ended up pulling over and noticed the tranny lightly "steaming" I had no choice really but to take it home. Added more fluid but the gears were gone. I kept driving the car and it never had a problem after that. 1st and 2nd were fine. Then I bought a used 4L60E out of a 97 Trans Am. Put it in ran fine for about 5 months mabey then coming home one light on the highway I lost 4th then 3rd again! On a totally different tranny but the same thing happened Then just last night I was going for some pizza and 2nd started not to grab very hard then not at all. So I took her home and parked her...err Now all I have is first and damn it I need a car to race and get around. So first tranny was original and I beat the **** out of it and it took it just fine until the housing repair. The second used and not even driven hard by comparison to the old one and it only last a fraction of the time too. Hope I told you what u needed to know to help
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well sounds like yo may have just had a misfortunate set of events the stock trans was likley on its last legs and I am sure the broken bell didnt help and the with a used tranny particulary from and F Body being a performance car its hard to say , I personally think and while I would certainly prefer it be us of course . But reguardless you should consider just buying a built performance transmission. Feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss 570-578-5686

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
They are also the only company to offer a refresh plan. If your tranny ever goes, you pay $250 plus parts and you get it back as good as new.
In all fairness, I believe Gilbert at Ace offers refreshes for the same price.

That being said, Vince is a great guy, I can tell just from the times I've talked to him on the forums.

There are definitely ways of making a 4L60E hold power. It just depends on how extreme you wanna go. After a certain point, there's nothing you can do and the 4L80E is really the only way to go.

Tell us what your plans are horsepower-wise. Also, the 700R4 is essentially the same transmission as a 4L60E (just non-electronic), so switching to a 700R4 won't help you any. It'll be a big headache since it's not electronic, and it'll essentially be for nothing since it's internally the same trans and has the same limitations.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

ahh the 700-r4 is the same as the 60e but without the electronic control. Theyre both weak transmission imo. Safe for a half way modified engine, but any decent numbers about 5-600 and you'll need a bigger trans, th400 or 80e. Not that a fully build 60e cant handle it, but its just you'll need to fork alot out for it. it might be cheaper to swap a 80e in but there is a decent ammount of power loss vs. the 60e. All in how much you want to spend, always is and always will be....imo
Old 01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369

That being said, Vince is a great guy, I can tell just from the times I've talked to him on the forums.

There are definitely ways of making a 4L60E hold power. It just depends on how extreme you wanna go. After a certain point, there's nothing you can do and the 4L80E is really the only way to go.

Tell us what your plans are horsepower-wise. Also, the 700R4 is essentially the same transmission as a 4L60E (just non-electronic), so switching to a 700R4 won't help you any. It'll be a big headache since it's not electronic, and it'll essentially be for nothing since it's internally the same trans and has the same limitations.
Well I am building this car with the main purpose of circuit racing street drag comes second. So in regards to my power wants/needs I believe in circuit racing there is such a thing as "to much power" In all honesty I don't really know what my final build of the engine will be? I have thought of a 355 rebuild of my LT-1 with a supercharger or turbo, LT-4 all motor or maybe force inducted as well, or I have a bare LS-6 block out of a C5 ZO6 in my living room that I could custom build from the ground up and put in my car. I fear throwing off my weight balance going with the lighter LS-6 or maybe it will help idk? but I think my car is setup from the factory to expect the extra 100 lb. or so in the front from the LT Iron block as opposed to the aluminum LS? out of all the ways to make the power I really don't see myself wanting any more then 800hp max and probably just fine with 600hp. So what do you think hum?
Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I wasn't aware of that. If that's the case, I stand corrected. Either way, one hell of a deal and something that should definitely be considered at the top of the list when shopping for a new tranny. Even built to the hilt 4L60's can't last forever.

OP, With FI and 600-800 horsepower the 80 would be the way to go, although I know Vince (FLT) won't shy away from 600+ horse on his Level 5 4L60. With that kind of power, the loss from an 80 wouldn't be so noticeable. I would lean towards an 80 in your shoes.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

please read & understand what all these members are trying to tell you & you will save a lot of time & money, we just put in our first lvl 4 from flt & what a difference over another sponsors tranny on this board, we can say this after trying 3 different trans from another sponsor we will call brand X, 1st trans lasted 1500 miles, second 250 miles & the 3rd was sent right to vince at flt to be tested on there trans dyno before we installed it in the car for the 3rd time & it also had issues so we just had flt build it to there lvl 4 specs & could not be happier. flt does not just take your money like the other sponsor brand X does, they give you a product that works the first time! you would think that the other sponsor brand X would want to make it right & at least pay you back for their faulty products as well as, show some kind of fortitude & business sense after the sale.
i have also heard good things about Gilbert on here from ace! i did not know he did the refresh special toooooooo

do it right the 1st time, my .02 cents worth. since we incurred over $2000 in extra cost not counting brand X cost of there trans $1xxx & from putting in & taking out twice of the faulty brand X trans & having the converter cleaned twice,fluid 3 times well you get the point it all adds up & brand X NEVER PAID FOR ANYTHING NOT EVEN THE COST OF THE PRICE OF THERE ORIGINAL TRANS BACK THAT WE PAID FOR, good luck!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry I have not been on the boards here as much as I like to be. But we have been swamped with work since the Holidays... and we're getting busier! Lot's of cool builds coming our way these days!

Here's the deal with the 60E. Bottom line is, lot's of guys say they can build them. And lot's of guys can. But at the same time lot's of guys merely buy good parts and install them expecting the unit to last in a harsh environment. And they don't last long at all.

What you should do is pick up the phone and talk to several reputable builders who can understand your wants and needs and then make recommendations. Lot's of guys would be willing to visit with you.

Good Luck.

g
Old 01-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Thank all of you for being so helpful and giving me honest advice. I couldn't be happier with the people in this forum community I didn't expect such awesome help. Please by all means keep it coming. hopefully I can make a good decision and be back out there kicking *** soon
Old 01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LTtorque
Thank all of you for being so helpful and giving me honest advice. I couldn't be happier with the people in this forum community I didn't expect such awesome help. Please by all means keep it coming. hopefully I can make a good decision and be back out there kicking *** soon
that is the main idea!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
Hell yeah...mine's holding up great and I'm not exactly nice to it. There are many folks running a lot of power through FLT trannies. Call Vince up, he'll answer any questions and take good care of you. They're having a free shipping special right now too, so great time to take advantage. They are also the only company to offer a refresh plan. If your tranny ever goes, you pay $250 plus parts and you get it back as good as new. Vince takes his trannies seriously and stands behind them 110%. There are other companies that pretend to be good, but FLT has proven it over and over and over.......
hmm, my builder does a $250 refresh fee also.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GregWS6&z28
hmm, my builder does a $250 refresh fee also.
Edited!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

I would personaly stay away from the electronic controlled...I have had nothing but headaches...Went with a TH400 with a 3600 stall and ultrabell with manual valve bodies and i love it...i shoulda done it 2 transmissions ago.
Its a great piece of mind thing never having to really worry about the transmission anymore...