Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good idea or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good idea or not

hwy guys i have a 99 z28 a4 and was wondering with 165,000 on the trans would it hurt to put a shift kit in it and change the filter was thinking b and m but don't know
Old 03-19-2008, 08:14 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With those miles I would be saving for a new one. I would not recommend installing a kit nor changing the fluid in it.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it shouldnt hurt it, if anything a shift kit bumps pressure and increases flow, so it shouldnt have any negative affect on a higher mileage tranny, and really is probably better for it. Softer shifts just mean the trans is having a controlled slip. I'm not really sure about what brand to buy, I'm a 6 speed guy my self, but I do build autos quite frequently, so thats just my .02 cents.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression a shift kit helped extend tranny life. If you are trying to squeeze all you can out of that tranny I would get a biggg *** tranny cooler, put a shift kit in, full trans flush, then drive it like an 80 year old. Vince is right though, 165,000 miles equals holy **** batman what magic are you working. I'd at least have a tranny rebuild in the back of your mind. I went 100,000 miles before my first rebuild. Then put in a 4L80e. 5000 miles later I rebuilt again. Lol goodluck.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

to be really honest guys I haven't done anything to it since I bought it thanks for the input though
Old 03-20-2008, 07:01 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I would not suggest a shift kit in a trans that high milage, Heres why? While its true a shift kit can increase the ife of a trans thats relativley new. There are several risk that must be considered with and older high milage unit. Some of which would include.
1-A shift kit generally increases line presure and volume to a clutch pack. Trouble is with such high milage the Rubber seals may be hard and the additional presure may cause them to break.

2-The sunshell a common failure point in the 60e may allready have the splines badly warn and the additional impact on it from a shift kit on the 1-2 shift could likley strip the splines out and cause a failure. loss of 2nd-4th and reverse.

3-The 3-4 clutch pack likley has alot of wear and clearance at that number of miles and by increasing presure and volume to bring them on fast with the travel there is a high likleyhood of breaking the snap ring out of the 3-4 drum resulting in loss of 3rd and fourth.

Honestly the most I would do is add a cooler and change the filter, I would not do a flush and I would not do a shift kit. And would consider its allready given you a long life. Particulary in a performance car. Just drive it and start saving for a built trans and if it last forever you will have a little money put back for a rainy day anyway IMO

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Not to mention that tranny fluid has detergents in it. Look at it this way, when the clutches and steels break down, they have to go somewhere and not all of them get caught in the filter. They build up and create tollerances inside the tranny which can be washed/cleaned away inside causing excessive amounts of slip inside resulting in ultimate failure.

Chris
Old 03-22-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

shift kit
Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jsonchevz
hwy guys i have a 99 z28 a4 and was wondering with 165,000 on the trans would it hurt to put a shift kit in it and change the filter was thinking b and m but don't know
Personally, I wouldn't open it up. If you do, just replace the filter and whatever fluid you lose in the process.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by performabuilt
I would not suggest a shift kit in a trans that high milage, Heres why? While its true a shift kit can increase the ife of a trans thats relativley new. There are several risk that must be considered with and older high milage unit. Some of which would include.
1-A shift kit generally increases line presure and volume to a clutch pack. Trouble is with such high milage the Rubber seals may be hard and the additional presure may cause them to break.

2-The sunshell a common failure point in the 60e may allready have the splines badly warn and the additional impact on it from a shift kit on the 1-2 shift could likley strip the splines out and cause a failure. loss of 2nd-4th and reverse.

3-The 3-4 clutch pack likley has alot of wear and clearance at that number of miles and by increasing presure and volume to bring them on fast with the travel there is a high likleyhood of breaking the snap ring out of the 3-4 drum resulting in loss of 3rd and fourth.

Honestly the most I would do is add a cooler and change the filter, I would not do a flush and I would not do a shift kit. And would consider its allready given you a long life. Particulary in a performance car. Just drive it and start saving for a built trans and if it last forever you will have a little money put back for a rainy day anyway IMO
Makes good sense to me.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Teching In

the car still shifts great and runs great I bought it at 79000 miles and other than the rear end issues it has ran great I light the tires up all the time and it almost always barks tire in second gear and it will pretty much roast the tires right off if I brake tourque it at the track on street tires it spons out of the hole and then spins in 2nd and then chirps them in third wich is why I can't get any faster than 14.00 at 99 but I really don't want more traction because I don't want to go through the rearend mess again