Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l80e Driveshaft/New Slipyoke Issues. Please Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 4l80e Driveshaft/New Slipyoke Issues. Please Help.

I just bought a slip yoke for my 4l80e. I was told there are only two kinds and all he needed to know if the hole on the end of the output shaft of the tranny was threaded or not...Long story short, my output shaft is splined the whole distance. I get my slip yoke and its not splined the first 1.75". The driveshaft is a PST 3.5" aluminum (stock length as far as i know). It seems short, slip yoke for sure wont work IMO.

Do I need a new DS? Are stock pickup/van slip yokes 1350 or compliant with 1350 yokes? Would using a stock slipyoke shown in a few pictures below solve this problem?

See pictures.

Rearend will move some when on ground, but these two give you an idea of how the ds and yoke fit.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...m/DSC02893.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...m/DSC02892.jpg

Slip yoke only goes in 1.75" into tranny. (Lower slip yoke, stock off pickup)
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...m/DSC02895.jpg

First 1.25" are not splined on new slip yoke, that leave .5" of spline contact
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...m/DSC02898.jpg

New 1350 slipyoke on right 4"long, pickup stock slipyoke on left splined whole way, 5" long
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...m/DSC02896.jpg
Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
11 Second Club

Since 4L80E's are for trucks, they have bolt on yokes which in most cases have no splines at the end because there is an o-ring on the output shaft of the trans that seals the atf from coming out of the splines. There are other yokes that are called slip yokes. These are not bolt on yokes. They may have a pin hole in the center and are sealed with an o-ring in a cup pressed on the output shaft in the trans. If you find a yoke with no pin hole, great no work to be done. I got mine from DTS in Michigan. It is a moly yoke. I talked to Adam and he fixed me right up. If you go to a salvage yard, try to get the slip yoke style. Make sure to inspect for a pin hole in the center of the yoke. Seal it and take the o-ring out of the cup inside the tail housing. This will alow the yoke to move in and out without leaking. Hope this helps. PS, I think your picture dsc02895 shows where you are measuring is where the output bushing is. I would make the yoke go in a little farther so not to have a vibration. As a rule of thumb, with the car resting on the ground, you should have about an inch and a quarter, (1.25"), of yoke coming out of the trans past the seal. This will have enough room to move in and out as the diff goes up and down. Look at the rust of the truck yoke for reference. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driveshaft definitely is not long enough and not enough spline engagement either.When you measured for your driveshaft length did you use their method from their website?Dimension x?I am sure you know to measure with the weight on the suspension.I ordered mine splined all the way up after looking at my output shaft while the trans was apart.I havent received mine yet,so I am hoping its right.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Driveshaft definitely is not long enough and not enough spline engagement either.When you measured for your driveshaft length did you use their method from their website?Dimension x?I am sure you know to measure with the weight on the suspension.I ordered mine splined all the way up after looking at my output shaft while the trans was apart.I havent received mine yet,so I am hoping its right.
I kept my stock length driveshaft from my m6. I was told stock length will work. I was trying to see who else kept stock length. Definately get it splined all the way! SO if it comes to it I may need a new 400 stinkin dollar driveshaft. You have 4l80e? if so let me know measurements you spec'd.

Thanks for your input.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

i used my stock driveshaft and an extra long yoke and trimmed to fit. you need a bastard u joint that any driveshaft place will have
Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by nahasapeemapetalon
I kept my stock length driveshaft from my m6. I was told stock length will work. I was trying to see who else kept stock length. Definately get it splined all the way! SO if it comes to it I may need a new 400 stinkin dollar driveshaft. You have 4l80e? if so let me know measurements you spec'd.

Thanks for your input.
I ordered mine 43.50 inches,thats using pst's method (see their website dim.x)with 1350 joints My trans. is a4l80e,2005 model,rear is mosier 12 blt. I hope mine is right,like I said I dont have it yet.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
i used my stock driveshaft and an extra long yoke and trimmed to fit. you need a bastard u joint that any driveshaft place will have
Isthat with a ford 9" or 12bolt or doesnt it matter? I have a 9". I am wondering if one sits more forward requiring less driveshaft length.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Regular

With my stock 10 bolt I used stock driveshaft with a new yoke it seems to work fine as it didnt blow apart yet lol.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:05 AM
9 Second Club

i have an 8.8 rear...stock steele driveshaft.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
i have an 8.8 rear...stock steele driveshaft.
Was the driveshaft a ways from the tranny like mine? Was your yoke splined all the way? Etc..

Thanks man.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Are you checking this with the suspension unloaded, or at ride height?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Not yet...but..just wanted to verify what people do with stock length driveshafts...
I know it will affect it, but this yoke i was sent wont work period. I am trying to get something figured out and ordered so i can install it next weekend.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

Default 4l80e driveshaft

I should have mine in the next day or two,I will let you know results as soon as I can.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Good luck! Thanks.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Smile

Just got my driveshaft in from pst,it fits perfect.It has about an inch sticking out of the trans when installed.Its a 3.5inch steel shaft with 1350 joints.Yours should be the same as mine with the only possible difference being that I have a 12 blt.and you have a 9 inch.Mine is 43.5 using pst's method of measureing.I've been told there are several different output shaft designs so you really need to make sure which one you have before you order again.Might be worth taking the tailshaft housing off to check unless you are sure which one you have.I told them when I orderd it I did not want it back bored,I wanted it splined all the way up.Hope this helps ,let me know if theres any thing else.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks man, great that yours fits. I have taken my tail shaft cover housing off. It is splined all the way. I will have to say no to be back bored at all and to be splined. How long was your slip yoke? 5"? I am just talking the part of the yoke that slides in and out.
Thanks man.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

The slip yoke that slides into the trans is a little over 5 inches, about 5.25 inches.I know this has already been disscussed but make sure your suspension is at ride hight when you measure.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

Just got the car dropped down and tried the driveshaft. There is 2 inches of slip yoke showing outside of tailshaft. From what i heard 1"-1.25" is ideal. So if i get a 5.25" yoke would it work or do i have to order another 400dollar driveshaft 1" longer?
Old 04-07-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

I think your driveshaft will still be too short even if you had a longer yoke.You might get by in a lower powered cruiser but I think I would be afraid of it,I think you will get vibration.Mabye you can sell the shaft you have to someone that can use it to get some of your money back.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Just got my driveshaft in from pst,it fits perfect.It has about an inch sticking out of the trans when installed.Its a 3.5inch steel shaft with 1350 joints.Yours should be the same as mine with the only possible difference being that I have a 12 blt.and you have a 9 inch.Mine is 43.5 using pst's method of measureing.I've been told there are several different output shaft designs so you really need to make sure which one you have before you order again.Might be worth taking the tailshaft housing off to check unless you are sure which one you have.I told them when I orderd it I did not want it back bored,I wanted it splined all the way up.Hope this helps ,let me know if theres any thing else.
I measured and came up with 45 inches from pinion yoke to tailhousing/seal on tranny. I will be getting a new driveshaft to avoid vibration, so theres only about 1" that the slip yoke pulls out.
I just got off the phone witha driveshaft guy talking about slip yokes. Hes a knowledgeable guy. He sent me the "backbored" yoke, i still think a fully splined 5" yoke will work perfectly. He was concerned it will hit, but i have test fit a 5" and it works fine. I dont see the point to a backbored yoke in my case.
Any input on that? I think ill just insist on a fully splined 4-5" slip yoke, it didnt hit anything far as i could feel.
He said 2" spline contact is plenty.

Quick Reply: 4l80e Driveshaft/New Slipyoke Issues. Please Help.