Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing Shift Solenoids

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing Shift Solenoids

can someone please tell me how to do it? ima attempt it tomorrow. ive changed the vss, had the gears calibrated, tire and wheel size, and po751 and 757 codes deleted. still have same problem. so i guess this is the next step.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Remove the pan
At the back of the valve body you will see two identical solenoids side by side. Unplug the connector and use a pick or screwdriver to remove the u shaped clip by pulling downward. Pop the new ones in and your good to go.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Remove the pan
At the back of the valve body you will see two identical solenoids side by side. Unplug the connector and use a pick or screwdriver to remove the u shaped clip by pulling downward. Pop the new ones in and your good to go.
cool! thanks bro! sounds like it should be self explanitory once the pan is off!
what is the best place to pick these up at? should they have them at any autopart store?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

What exactly is going on?

I had a problem where if I left the car in "OD" in traffic, once the car would go into forth and lock and unlock the converter (from slowing down and speeding up) the PCM would freak out and I'd loose first and forth. I replaced both solenoids and it didn't change the problem.

I just started to leave the shifter in "D" around town until I got on the freeway where it wasn't necessary for the converter to unlock and lock from speeding up and slowing down with traffic. I'd suggest that before replacing the solenoids if you haven't already.

Good luck.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by radz282003
What exactly is going on?

I had a problem where if I left the car in "OD" in traffic, once the car would go into forth and lock and unlock the converter (from slowing down and speeding up) the PCM would freak out and I'd loose first and forth. I replaced both solenoids and it didn't change the problem.

I just started to leave the shifter in "D" around town until I got on the freeway where it wasn't necessary for the converter to unlock and lock from speeding up and slowing down with traffic. I'd suggest that before replacing the solenoids if you haven't already.

Good luck.

im compleatly locked out of 2nd gear. cant manually downshift. can automatically down shift. nothing. it like really annoying.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Be careful when you pull the clip out there are springs behind the solenoids. I pulled the clip holding the soleniod, it shot out and I spent 10 minutes looking for the spring.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by racecarr
Be careful when you pull the clip out there are springs behind the solenoids. I pulled the clip holding the soleniod, it shot out and I spent 10 minutes looking for the spring.
thanks for the heads up! lol. that would have prolly happen to me! is the solenoid hard to put back in? where can i find them? ima start tomorrow morning.

thanks for all the help!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

1= a solenoid or 1-2 solenoid is on the driver side correct?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

changed em. still same problem. think i officially lost 2nd