Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trany running way HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trany running way HOT!

I decided to install a trany cooler since I had a converter installed. So I just installed a B&M supercooler and autometer transmission temp. gauge. When I took the car out for a test drive I didn't get verry far before I realized that I was leeking a little transmission fluid so I turned around. It was the the worm clamp on the output of the B&M cooler that needed tighting. I started it back up let the engin get hot double checked all the clamps and hoses everything is good. So I go out again be4 I get a mile my trans temp is reading 210. So I turn around again. When I get home its at 250. 2days ago before I installed the cooler. I had my car tuned and he was reading the trany at 190 from the internal transmission sensor. So idk whats going on. I have double and triple checked all the hoses. I know Fluid is flowing since the output of the cooler leaked. I felt all the lines and there warm so once again I know fluid is flowing. So idk what to do next. Where the fluid comes out of the top of the radiator I disconnected the exhisting hose from the metal hose. I then used the fittings that came in the kit to connect the hose to the new hose which runs to the cooler. Then the other hose from the cooler I connected to the metal line which I disconected earlier. So dose anybody know whats up or see's what I did wrong?
Old 06-20-2008, 09:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Wheres the cooler located and where does the temp gauge read from. I will say this is you can touch the metal part of the cooler lines and not get burned I would suspect the gauge might be wrong . If the trans was at 250 the lines would not feel warm to the touch running they would burn but good

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

The temp sending unit is located on the drivers side of the trany. I think it is a service port? There was a bolt that I just removed and swaped for the sending unit. It was just above the shift cable I think. It was a perfect fit and screwed right in. Is that a bad place to put it?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Also the cooler is located on the front of the radiator passenger side down low.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Well you will get the hottest possible temps from that port not only the actual trans fluid temp but the temp of the trans housing which has quiet a bit of transfer from the engine and good be taken from the close by exhaust. Best place and most accurate place is in the pan. As for th cooler does it get air flow where you have it ?Or is the air blocked ?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-20-2008, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

But even with it reading at the hottest point it should never get that high correct? I have a buddie that mounted his in the same port and has no problem. He runs under 180 all the time with the same cooler. And air flow should be no problem. The cooler is mounted just above the air baffle underneath the car. My main concern is that the gauge is saying that it is now running hotter than be4. So even if the thing wasn't working I don't see y it would be running hotter.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I would check it again with the scanner and compare readings was this gauge the same one that was on it before the cooler I thought you added them at the same time

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-20-2008, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

No sarry I should have made that more clear. I had it tuned the day be4 I did this install, and he went ahead and checked the trans temp while we were test driving. If i remember correct it peaked at about 205, but never got as high as temp gauge is showing now. I was just trying to avaid having to get it over to him if there was an easy fix. But say that where the sending unit is at is the problem what is my best option? Should I drill a hole in the pan and hope for the best. Or do they make aftermarket pans with a hole pre-drilled?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I ran it this morning after sitting all night. I double checked all the lines again and even put a fan blowing on the transmission cooler. As soon as I turned the car on the gauge jumped to about 110 and after 30 seconds it was up to 150 . By the time the engin was up to temperature the trans gauge was reading 180+. And I never even took the car outa park. It was just idling. When the gauge got up to 215 I went and felt all the lines and they were warm at best. I could barly even feel a diference in the line coming out of the trany cooler from when I felt it be4 the start up. So what do you guys think. Is it the gauge?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well unless you have a really hot garage being at 110 at start up after setting all night I would say the gauge . If you wanna know now what the real temp is wait till tomorrow when cold then check the air temp outside and turn the switch on look at gauge and subtract the difference then use that number to determine your real temperature by subtracting it from whatever the guage actually reads at any moment or just get a new gauge

Call 888-744-6542

Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

I'm jsut guna send the gauge back and get a new one. Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I know its been a wile, but while I have been waiting on my new gauge and sending unit I have been thinking. The instructions that came with the gage said that when I installed the sending unit in the trany that it would be grounded. So I didn't bother to make a ground wire. Well I used Teflon tape on the threads of the sending unit. Could this have disrupted the ground causing the gauge to act how it did? I have heard that auto meter gauges will act really messed up if the ground is bad.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yes thread tape could reduce or eliminate the ground

Call 888-744-6542

Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 PM
On The Tree

I can't believe I didn’t think of this be4. Any way will pointing a temp. gun at the trans. oil pan give me a ball park estimate of the true temp?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

Bump will the temp. gun work?
Old 10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

What happened to this? where was the error?
Old 10-26-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Sorry I meant to update this, incase someone had the same problem and did a thread search, just for got too. The error was indeed in the gauge. My guess is the teflon tape caused it not to ground properly and that messed the gauge up. So when I installed the new gauge I just ran a simple ground and still used the teflon tape on the sending unit and it has worked just fine ever since the trany never gets over 180 Oh and yes the temp gun worked great just shot it right at the trans pan
Old 10-27-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 00_Z-28
Ok so I ran it this morning after sitting all night. I double checked all the lines again and even put a fan blowing on the transmission cooler. As soon as I turned the car on the gauge jumped to about 110 and after 30 seconds it was up to 150 . By the time the engin was up to temperature the trans gauge was reading 180+. And I never even took the car outa park. It was just idling. When the gauge got up to 215 I went and felt all the lines and they were warm at best. I could barly even feel a diference in the line coming out of the trany cooler from when I felt it be4 the start up. So what do you guys think. Is it the gauge?
There is something definetly wrong, I have the same cooler mounted behind the passenger side turn signal, with the temp sensor going into the trans port up the side of the transmission (1/8 NPT) I am using a Cyburdine digital gauge. I live in a very warm climate. When I start the vehicle my trans temp is @ 72F, and when the car idles (to warm) it is at 110F. When I drive on the freeway (hot day) I am anywhere between 135-150F, around town (hot day) it will read 165-185F. On cold days it is lower reading.

I had the cooler installed by a professional transmission shop when I went to a performance torque converter. My setup goes out the transmission to the radiator, out of the radiator through the cooler back to the transmission.

SteveC
Old 10-27-2008, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SteveC
There is something definetly wrong, I have the same cooler mounted behind the passenger side turn signal, with the temp sensor going into the trans port up the side of the transmission (1/8 NPT) I am using a Cyburdine digital gauge. I live in a very warm climate. When I start the vehicle my trans temp is @ 72F, and when the car idles (to warm) it is at 110F. When I drive on the freeway (hot day) I am anywhere between 135-150F, around town (hot day) it will read 165-185F. On cold days it is lower reading.

I had the cooler installed by a professional transmission shop when I went to a performance torque converter. My setup goes out the transmission to the radiator, out of the radiator through the cooler back to the transmission.

SteveC
Ya like I said it was just the gauge that was messed up