Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400 wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default th400 wiring diagram

I don't get it? I've searched and searched and there is no real description on how to wire up a th400 conversion. Lot's of people have done it, I can't believe I can't find it on here. I've read the frequently asked th400 thread and the wiring section only shows a couple jumpers that I don't even know where they are located. The stock a4 had a bunch of **** hooked up to it and now this hurst shifter has a hook up for the shifter cable and two prongs for a wire hook up in the front. Other than that its just the trans brake plug.

I'm going to post pics so those that have done it can chime in and let us that are trying see exactly what goes where. Hopefully this thread can be very helpful for all the other people that run into this. I found many people looking for answers but no answers lol.

What do we need to do with this stuff?
Heres the stock stuff:

Heres the Hurst shifter:

Please, anyone that can help with this stuff, it would be a big help for me and I'm sure many others that are trying to or planning to do this.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't see the pics cause photobucket is blocked here at work but I'll try and answer your questions.

The two prongs on the Hurst are for the backup lights and the neutral safety switch. I never hooked up the reverse lights on my Hurst when I went TH350 so I can't tell you which wire you need to splice into. None of your stock connects will plug into the TH400, unless you got the conversion kit for the vehicle speed sensor.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
I can't see the pics cause photobucket is blocked here at work but I'll try and answer your questions.

The two prongs on the Hurst are for the backup lights and the neutral safety switch. I never hooked up the reverse lights on my Hurst when I went TH350 so I can't tell you which wire you need to splice into. None of your stock connects will plug into the TH400, unless you got the conversion kit for the vehicle speed sensor.
That sounds good. If you have pics, they always help the most.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said I didn't hook mine up so I don't have any pics. And I never hooked my speedo up, I went by the RPM to figure my mph

Someone makes the conversion kit for the VSS but I forgot who it is

Sorry
Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z28/2002

Someone makes the conversion kit for the VSS but I forgot who it is
Yes, GM makes replacement parts. Say for a 1988 GMC Sierra 2500 with a th400. For that application get a speed sensor and reluctor wheel. The only thing you need to pay attention to is the reluctor wheel inside diameter size. Last I seen in the sticky thread only one was listed but there is two. One with a small ID for long tail 27 spline outputs and one for large ID 32 spline outputs. GM factory parts and the right plug it will all fit right on.

In the sticky thread for A4 to M6 swap is a pic and info of the wiring colors and what they go to. All you need are two for the backup lights and two for the neutral safety. And splice two together for the rear hatch if you use the button.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

So this:

Gets wired like this:

And you just splice together the two that go together for the clutch?

What goes on the two prongs on the shifter?

What about these two things?

Old 06-30-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you read my FAQ?????
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlove
did you read my FAQ?????
Yeah, thats the FAQ I was reffering to. A lot of good info but not enough specifics on the shifter and wiring. I was hoping someone could identify all the hook-ups that go on the stock a4 shifter and what to do with them when using an aftermarket shifter. You have some jumpers listed but I can't tell where those wires are located.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Listen I just did this a few months back with a TH350 swap...freaked a little with the wiring (mainly cause I hate electrical work). Take your time and read dlove's write up. That shifter cable I pulled completely out and trashed. There was a few loose wires I just tucked away under the console...no use for them. Follow dlove's wiring write up and to hell with all the rest of it. I do not have reverse lights either...not as big of a deal as I thought it would be. You could hook it up to a manual switch if you want, thats trouble I didnt bother with. I used the pro-ratchet from B&M...looks like it hooks up the same. You will need a complete cable kit for this, or thats what I did.

Last edited by Stroked96Bowtie; 06-30-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wiring
You can wire in your factory shifter wiring to your aftermarket shifter if it comes with options to do so. If not you will need to do the following-

A4 cars, connect these wires together that come out of the old shifter harness. It is a 6 wire connector going into the factory shifter.

purple + dark green = neutral safety switch, must be done to start vehicle

orange w/ black stripe + black wire = hatch release to work.

Finally the brown and light green wires should NOT be wired directly together. Doing so will cause your reverse lights to stay on at all times. You can run them threw a momentary switch or just leave them apart like i did.
out of the FAQ. I changed it up to be more user friendly
Old 06-30-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlove
out of the FAQ. I changed it up to be more user friendly
Much better, thanks. It's a little confusing that nothing actually goes to the new shifter, just the stock wires getting spliced together lol.

So I got what to do with the stock wires for the shifter, but what goes on the two prongs on the new shifter? Does nothing else matter on the new shifter except the shifter cable and the trans brake? I can just pitch everything else that was hooked up to the stock shifter?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rufretic
I don't get it? I've searched and searched and there is no real description on how to wire up a th400 conversion. Lot's of people have done it, I can't believe I can't find it on here. I've read the frequently asked th400 thread and the wiring section only shows a couple jumpers that I don't even know where they are located. The stock a4 had a bunch of **** hooked up to it and now this hurst shifter has a hook up for the shifter cable and two prongs for a wire hook up in the front. Other than that its just the trans brake plug.

I'm going to post pics so those that have done it can chime in and let us that are trying see exactly what goes where. Hopefully this thread can be very helpful for all the other people that run into this. I found many people looking for answers but no answers lol.

What do we need to do with this stuff?
Heres the stock stuff:

Heres the Hurst shifter:

Please, anyone that can help with this stuff, it would be a big help for me and I'm sure many others that are trying to or planning to do this.
Thanks,
Lou

i just bought the same shifter from speed inc hopefully it comes soon so i can start my install,this thread will help me out also cause i too am confused with a th400 switch,i hear different things from everybody
Old 07-01-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Much better, thanks. It's a little confusing that nothing actually goes to the new shifter, just the stock wires getting spliced together lol.

So I got what to do with the stock wires for the shifter, but what goes on the two prongs on the new shifter? Does nothing else matter on the new shifter except the shifter cable and the trans brake? I can just pitch everything else that was hooked up to the stock shifter?
as the guy above said "The two prongs on the Hurst are for the backup lights and the neutral safety switch"

you dont have to hook them up though. If you do it like I said, the car will start in any gear and will not have any rev lights. Or you can figure out from the hurst instructions what you need to do to wire it with the shifter if you want those items.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bringing this back, ruf, do have pics of your finished product, and did you figure out the wiring to make the reverse lights work with the shifter!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
Bringing this back, ruf, do have pics of your finished product, and did you figure out the wiring to make the reverse lights work with the shifter!
Yeah, I got them hooked up on the switches on the shifter. I don't have pics of it but I think I can get some for you. I'll need to get the center console off to refresh my memory and get pics, I need to get it off anyway for something else so when it's off I'll take some and let you know.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

any pics yet
Old 09-28-2008, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
any pics yet
No, unfortunatly I can't take the console out right now bcause the car is jacked up in front and I can't move the shifter out of park. I'm having some issues with getting my engine started so it might be a while.

This is how I wired them up though, instead of connecting the wires together for the neutral safty and reverse lights, you just hook them up to the switches on the shifter. The only thing you need to figure out is which switch is which on the shifter.

A4 cars, connect these wires together that come out of the old shifter harness. It is a 6 wire connector going into the factory shifter.

purple + dark green = neutral safety switch, must be done to start vehicle(connect to one of the switches)

brown + light green wires = reverse lights (connect to other switch on shifter)

It's easy to figure which switch is which if you have the battery hooked up because if the switches are reversed, the reverse lights will be on in park.

If you wire it up like this your reverse lights, nuetral saftey switch and hatch release will all work just like they did with the 4l60e.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

This doesn't show the wirng but I do have a couple finished product pics:

Old 09-28-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, unfortunatly I can't take the console out right now bcause the car is jacked up in front and I can't move the shifter out of park. I'm having some issues with getting my engine started so it might be a while.

This is how I wired them up though, instead of connecting the wires together for the neutral safty and reverse lights, you just hook them up to the switches on the shifter. The only thing you need to figure out is which switch is which on the shifter.

purple + dark green = neutral safety switch, must be done to start vehicle(connect to one of the switches)

brown + light green wires = reverse lights (connect to other switch on shifter)

It's easy to figure which switch is which if you have the battery hooked up because if the switches are reversed, the reverse lights will be on in park.

If you wire it up like this your reverse lights, nuetral saftey switch and hatch release will all work just like they did with the 4l60e.
ok so correct me if i wrong

either purple or dark green wire to one of the wires from the shifter.
then either brown or light green to the other wire from the shifter? you dont have to wire say the purple and dark green together ten to the wire on the shifter? did i tell you i hate electrical

thanks
Old 09-28-2008, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
ok so correct me if i wrong

either purple or dark green wire to one of the wires from the shifter.
then either brown or light green to the other wire from the shifter? you dont have to wire say the purple and dark green together ten to the wire on the shifter? did i tell you i hate electrical

thanks
I feel ya, I went through the same thing. I was confused about the same issue, There are actually 4 prongs on the shifter, you only see two at the top right? If you unhook that part there are two more on the bottom of the same peice. So the two on top get two wires and the two on bottom get the other two. Two on top are for one switch and two on bottom for the other. Keep the colors that would get spliced together if you were not going to hook up the switchs, both on top switch(two prongs) or both on bottom switch(two prongs). Sorry if I'm talking in circles I'm in a hurry cause I have to leave but I can help more later tonight if you don't understand.

Quick Reply: th400 wiring diagram