Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another "Tranny cooler line blew off" instance

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another "Tranny cooler line blew off" instance

Upon searching the forum late at night, I came across many of these threads.

Had this happen late last night, was able to coast to a parking lot and all seems well at the moment.

Was getting off on the ramp, slowing at the yield, then a junker passes by and I smell tranny fluid, think nothing of it, figure that guy was screwed.

Get to the intersection and go to give it some gas and all I get is revs. Coast to the lot and see smoke, and a trail from my car, out to the road, and down it.

Make sure them clamps are tight, if I had this happen at the track the whole lane would have been ruined.

It looks to be user error, the clamps were stripped, the second clamp on each hose wasn't actually doing anything except pinching the hose. I didn't do the install, but now I will certainly have a nice look at all the "custom" connection work done on this older beaten vehicle

New fluid, new clamps, hopefully not a new tranny, I'm good to go.

I think I may invest in the fitting and metal lines I was reading about.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd_98Formula

Make sure them clamps are tight, if I had this happen at the track the whole lane would have been ruined.

It looks to be user error, the clamps were stripped, the second clamp on each hose wasn't actually doing anything except pinching the hose. I didn't do the install, but now I will certainly have a nice look at all the "custom" connection work done on this older beaten vehicle
Terrific thread. Thanks for sharing your misfortune.

However, I would like to add a serious comment. Let's face it. Everyone who is on this website takes their car to WOT often. Had this event happened at the track, oiling the lane would be the least of your worries.

What happens more often than not is the fluid will get onto the rear tires. That tire(s) will then lose traction and the car will take a right or left hand turn immediately. That is catastrophic to a daily driver. Not to mention you could get hurt.

Checking cooler lines and hose fittings should be a part of a monthly safety check and part of a pre race inspection for each and every car that goes down the track.

g

Last edited by Gilbert@Ace Racing; 07-06-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by BigEd_98Formula
Upon searching the forum late at night, I came across many of these threads.

Had this happen late last night, was able to coast to a parking lot and all seems well at the moment.

Was getting off on the ramp, slowing at the yield, then a junker passes by and I smell tranny fluid, think nothing of it, figure that guy was screwed.

Get to the intersection and go to give it some gas and all I get is revs. Coast to the lot and see smoke, and a trail from my car, out to the road, and down it.

New fluid, new clamps, hopefully not a new tranny, I'm good to go.

I think I may invest in the fitting and metal lines I was reading about.
Make certain that the hard line that the rubber hose is clamped too is flared. If it isn't, it will just happen again.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

happend to me in MEXICO!! but lucky i stopped right in front on an autoparts. but damm it made a mess.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Happened to me once too. Bought the wrong fitting when trying to run 2 coolers in parallel... made a huuuge mess all over the highway, the whole passenger side of the car, the underside of the car, brakes, wheels... everything.

There was so much red fluid everywhere it looked like I went on some kind of murdering spree with my car!
Old 07-08-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Yup; something like this happened to me too right after installing my converter. I added a second cooler, just for safety, and as I was driving home, I get a smell like burning tranny fluid, look in my rear view and see a cloud of smoke like I'm 007, and pull over as soon as I can after I turn the car off. I had a trail of fluid for like almost a mile! Fluid all over the car like you guys. It turned out a worm drive clamp stripped after I tightened it, wiggled loose, and came off. Later, like Tork' said, I flared all the tube ends and called it good. No problems since. FLARE THOSE ENDS ;D
Old 07-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Teching In

I have to confirm, but it would appear that this auxillary cooler is hooked up wrong.

From what I understand there is one inside the radiator. It would appear my return line leads to the bottom of the radiator...which would mean its pulling fluid to the auxiliary cooler than into the radiator....which defeats the purpose right?

Off topic, but yet somewhat on with the recent discovery of different "hack" job nature. I went ahead and adjusted my head lights finally last night, the low beams seemed to move around, and the high beams were aimed 10 ft in front of the car, to the left side.

The low beams didn't have the springs attached, the plastic shroud on the driver side had an over-sized, very over-sized, screw holding it in which made it very difficult to fix and this screw totally destroyed the plastic square, so I have a zip tie there now because that side is so butchered.

I'm also missing a bolt/screw for the metal "eyelid" on the drivers side, always wondered why that one seemed loose.

Gonna check this a bit more. Flare fittings are a good idea, seeing as it looks like I'm gonna have to re-run most of it I may as well do it right. It does have added hardware for the hoses to go on to with the nipple/flare with a clamp holding it on.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend the coin on fittings and AN line. I spent around 180 from summit to run all AN -6 for my cooler lines. These threads make me feel better about spending the $ on those fittings and lines.

Quick Reply: Another "Tranny cooler line blew off" instance