Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l65e issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l65e issues...

Was driving the GTO to work the other day and went wot from about 45mph. Should have downshifted into 2nd. Well it tried to but either slipped realllly bad or completely missed 2nd. The rpm's went almost to the limiter and the car didn't pull. So I quickly backed out of it and cruised on it to work. Everything seemed normal after that.

Then yesterday while driving it around town under really light throttle it would have problems with the 2-3 shift. Same thing here. It would go to shift into 3rd and then find neutral or something. Let off the gas and it would set itself straight. She only did this a few times under very light throttle; was fine otherwise..?

So today on the way home from work I played with it some to see what else I could get out of it. Nailed it from a stop and on the 1-2 shift it pretty much had no intentions of hitting second...it just let go of 1st and hit the limiter! So I manually put it into 2nd and went wot. Everything was dandy...no slipping that I could tell and the 2-3 shift was spot on. Locks up good too in 4th gear at my selected lockup speed.

Reverse is fine. I did notice that when putting it into drive that it takes a bit longer to engage. So that is it in a nutshell. What do you guys think??
Old 07-09-2008, 10:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think your unit is low on fluid and the clutches are worn considerably. I think your unit has excessive clearance in the 3/4 clutches. I think your unit is in need of being reconditioned.

Certainly that does not account for the 1-2 limiter event, but if you unit is 3 or 4 yrs old and has been driven spiritedly, it has simply outlived its usefulness.

How many miles are on it?

How many times has the fluid been serviced?

What is the fluid level? Very important!

What is the fluid condition?

g
Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

It is a 2005 gto with 15k miles on it. It has a yank 3200 stall, lt's and a 234/236 cam in it. It has also been abused with a 150 shot. However, I have not even sprayed the thing in months.

As for the fluid level I think it should be good. Will it do this if the fluid was too high as well? I will check the fluid level and condition tomorrow..
Old 07-09-2008, 10:46 PM
FormerVendor

Nope, it won't do it if it is high.

And even though it has 15k miles on it the GTO's are hard on the soft parts when the hydraulics have not been modified properly. I understand it hasn't been sprayed on for a while, but that is not the issue here.

Sorry to say it, but I think it's tome for an upgrade. Deifinetly would not be the 1st sub 20 GTO I have seen with these symptoms.

Once you check the fluid feel free to give me a call at the shop... 817-605-3151. We can discuss it in detail.

g
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

I checked the fluid level. It looks to be sitting right at the bottom of the hot band. It still looks light red. What is it supposed to smell like?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

It is supposed to smell like fresh transmission fluid.

If the fluid level is at the bottom of the hot band it is low on fluid. Top it off, and it might be wise to put an extra 1/2 quart in it.

Then, take a look around to see why it is leaking, don't forget to check the cooler fittings as well.

Do that and get back to us!

g
Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Well that is with the car sitting overnight. Isn't it supposed to be in the middle of the cold band?
Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
FormerVendor

My bad... I assumed you had the unit at operating temperature idling in Park.

I don't ever check transmissions cold... I want it to have gone through the gears a few times, and be at temperature when I check 'em.

Don't guess at it. Check it at operating temp!

g