Sponsored by:

th400

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default th400

i just bought an old th400 tranny

is there anything i can do to make it stronger and preform better and hold around 700 hp

i am going to get a shift kit and i already have a nice tranny cooler

anything else i can do besides cryo freeze the gears
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Banned

I like to use a complete 4L80E direct drum with the 34 element sprag and more clutches in the direct.
And use Borg Warner Smooth clutches, TransGo th400 1&2 kit. Never a B&M.
All that and a full rebuild should hold 700 hp.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I like to use a complete 4L80E direct drum with the 34 element sprag and more clutches in the direct.
And use Borg Warner Smooth clutches, TransGo th400 1&2 kit. Never a B&M.
All that and a full rebuild should hold 700 hp.
could u explain that a little better

i am sorry

i am a complete noob 2 transmissions

all i know is shift kits and stall converters really

and i am assuming the transgo th400 1&2 kit is a shift kit
Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you would like to discuss a very nice build for this unit feel free to give me a call at the shop in the morning.

We built 2 units last week... one was for a Show Queen at about 4ooHP. The other was for a '55 210 (Bel Air) that makes in excess of 900H/P n/a. It runs 6.20's in the 1/8 mile.

Yes the Trans-Go and B&M references are for shift kits. Trans-Go has proven to assemble the best, technically correct kits over the years.

We also do swaps and installations in F-Body's very frequently!

No doubt we can put a plan together that will work for you!

Good Luck either way!

g
Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ratchthed
If you would like to discuss a very nice build for this unit feel free to give me a call at the shop in the morning.

We built 2 units last week... one was for a Show Queen at about 4ooHP. The other was for a '55 210 (Bel Air) that makes in excess of 900H/P n/a. It runs 6.20's in the 1/8 mile.

Yes the Trans-Go and B&M references are for shift kits. Trans-Go has proven to assemble the best, technically correct kits over the years.

We also do swaps and installations in F-Body's very frequently!

No doubt we can put a plan together that will work for you!

Good Luck either way!

g

i would love to talk 2 u but i dont know how much buisness i could give u

i am located in NJ

and it would cost a lot to ship my tranny there and back i am assuming

unless u sell the components i need
Old 07-16-2008, 07:12 PM
FormerVendor

I do not sell individual components nor overhaul kits. Sorry.

Because we ship units across the country regularly we can get a pretty good deal on that! You might be surprised to know that the last tie I shipped a unit to NJ it was less than $250.00.

Either way.. give me a call. I don't mind steering you in the right direction!

g
Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

If you don't plan to do builds on a regular basis I'd go with a sponsor here.
Your first build may be a learning process that could cost you that $250 shipping charge.

I use to build transmissions on the side for local guys with good luck, the th400 being the easiest. But if you're doing it once it's best to buy one already built and simply put it in and know it's going to work right.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Teching In

If you don't plan to do builds on a regular basis I'd go with a sponsor here.
Your first build may be a learning process that could cost you that $250 shipping charge.

I use to build transmissions on the side for local guys with good luck, the th400 being the easiest. But if you're doing it once it's best to buy one already built and simply put it in and know it's going to work right.
i plan to have someone build it for me,

but, i want to use really strong components so i wont be taking this apart in three summers with it blown up

so i am looking for advice on good parts to buy
Old 07-16-2008, 10:57 PM
FormerVendor

I understand, no worries. 9000th01ss has some good points.

The TH400 is not a difficult transmission to work with. It takes gobs of power well. There is no reason to cryo treat any parts in it.

In our area we see some sloppy builds from big name shops. The biggest problem we see is lack of attention to detail.

If you take it to a well known builder they will know what needs to be done. Don't take it to a buddy who has done a couple of them before expecting to install good parts and it live a long and healthy life. It ain't gonna happen. Knowing how to set up the hydraulic circuits is as much if not more important than installing the correct components.

Don't expect to get 3 years out of it with regular Drag Racing. I recommend to all my customers that they bring me their unit after each Racing season so that we can freshen it up. Basically, after appx 200 hard passes.

Good Luck with the build!

g
Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Teching In

I understand, no worries. 9000th01ss has some good points.

The TH400 is not a difficult transmission to work with. It takes gobs of power well. There is no reason to cryo treat any parts in it.

In our area we see some sloppy builds from big name shops. The biggest problem we see is lack of attention to detail.

If you take it to a well known builder they will know what needs to be done. Don't take it to a buddy who has done a couple of them before expecting to install good parts and it live a long and healthy life. It ain't gonna happen. Knowing how to set up the hydraulic circuits is as much if not more important than installing the correct components.

Don't expect to get 3 years out of it with regular Drag Racing. I recommend to all my customers that they bring me their unit after each Racing season so that we can freshen it up. Basically, after appx 200 hard passes.

Good Luck with the build!

g
would you be willing to give me an idea of some components i should put in it to make it hold up?

i am assuming i will need more than just a clean rebuild and and a shift kit
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Teching In

bump

for suggestions on parts to put in my Th400
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheDocta
bump

for suggestions on parts to put in my Th400
Well it's a touchy subject and people like getting all pissed off at my opinions.

BUT my opinion is this: if you have someone capable of building you a th400 they should know what parts to put in it. If not then they're just a transmission assembler, not a transmission builder.
The person doing the work should know the answer to this or else they should not be hired to do the work.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Well it's a touchy subject and people like getting all pissed off at my opinions.

BUT my opinion is this: if you have someone capable of building you a th400 they should know what parts to put in it. If not then they're just a transmission assembler, not a transmission builder.
The person doing the work should know the answer to this or else they should not be hired to do the work.
well my situation is my dad has a friend that works as a trasmission builder

but really, just more of an assembler for everyday cars than high hp race cars

so i am hoping to find the parts i want, buy them, and have him assemble it
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
FormerVendor

That is very important information.

The whole idea of installing different components is the installer must know why the part needs to be replaced and what the new part is fixing. There are many different hydraulic circuit modifications that accompany the new parts. It is not difficult. It is not Rocket Science.

But, it is important to understand what is happening and why so that if there is a problem after the build the builder knows what to do to remedy the situation.

I hate to say it, but if the guy you have slated to build you TH400 does not know what to do to take it even a mild performance level... you need a different builder. It isn't a hot at him at all, don't take it that way. I'm sure he's good at taking trannies apart and putting them back together.

Simple fact is, if he needs to ask how to do it, he is going to be practicing on your transmission. Is that what you want for your car?

g
Old 07-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Teching In

That is very important information.

The whole idea of installing different components is the installer must know why the part needs to be replaced and what the new part is fixing. There are many different hydraulic circuit modifications that accompany the new parts. It is not difficult. It is not Rocket Science.

But, it is important to understand what is happening and why so that if there is a problem after the build the builder knows what to do to remedy the situation.

I hate to say it, but if the guy you have slated to build you TH400 does not know what to do to take it even a mild performance level... you need a different builder. It isn't a hot at him at all, don't take it that way. I'm sure he's good at taking trannies apart and putting them back together.

Simple fact is, if he needs to ask how to do it, he is going to be practicing on your transmission. Is that what you want for your car?

g
thanks for that input

that made me think about it

i guess i will need to figure out what i am going to do now