Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Selling business, All interest I have in building 8.8" rears

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling business, All interest I have in building 8.8" rears

Mods please delete this if I've posted in a non-appropriate location.

I'm one of the folks who quite some years ago put together and started building a good 8.8" that bolts into fbody cars. It was not a quick thing to get worked out nor an easy one, but I eventually started building rears that worked and were a bolt-in application.

Since around mid 2007 I have not built an 8.8" for an Fbody. I do still have all of my jigs and fixtures to build an 8.8" for an Fbody using a mustang 8.8" center section and Fbody axle tubes. Everything was welded together professionally in a fab shop and is quite substantial.

I'd really like to gauge interest in selling my whole outfit. I'm willing to part with all of my knowledge and hardware as I have little time to build these things any more.

I have one 8.8" that is fully assembled and ready to go into a car. I have a few 8.8" center sections, several 10-bolt axle tubes, I know I have several camaro axle shafts, I've got some 8.8" gears (3.73), 8.8" posi, I've got new bearings... I whole portion of a shop full of materials and my main jig fixture.

I'm currently at a different stage in my life. I'd like to sell all of this stuff and sit down with someone and let them record all of the information that I have in my head on how to build these things. I know you can make good money on these once you get it figured out. I was doing just that. I've posted a lot of information on these things if you go back and search a bunch of old posts under my name.

This is definitely not an on-line scam and this is not a project or venture someone who is not mechanically inclined needs to take on. This is the kind of thing that someone with a welding machine, some good knowledge, some basic metal working tools (porta band, grinder, etc.) could make some good money at.

The 8.8" that I currently have built could be your pattern. It's got new gears, bearings, aftermarket axles, aluminum girdle etc. I have that and the fixture (and materials) to make atleast ONE more 8.8" that a buyer of all of this could turn around and sell. I think that's what I'd like to base my price on. The cost of the rear-end and then double that to buy the rest of the set-up to start building 8.8" Fbody rears. You make the second one and viola you have the business idea down.

Here's the kicker, I don't know how to sell this entire setup without giving away my proprietary trade secrets. If you see the set-up you could rip me off by stealing my means and methods. Any suggestions on how to sell this as a business oportunity without giving away all of my hardwork and efforts?

Thank LS1tech. If anyone is serious about this, PM me and I can get you my cell phone number to discuss over the phone.

Thank you for looking! Please see that I have been an LS1tech member for numerous years and this is not some sort of on-line scam.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

What is your ball park price on this? I know someone who may be interested. Depends on price range. I remember back when you started doing these rearends, maybe you could sell out to one of the speed shops?? The 8.8 rear is plenty strong for 90% of the cars on here.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:06 PM

Ball park price? South of twice what a new rear-end costs.

Looking back, it was a long time ago when I started doing this, approximately 4 years ago. The original thread was on cz28.com. At one point it was one of the like top 3most viewed threads on the site. Now, my link to it is broken.

Thanks alot for the bump.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Studytime
Ball park price? South of twice what a new rear-end costs.

Looking back, it was a long time ago when I started doing this, approximately 4 years ago. The original thread was on cz28.com. At one point it was one of the like top 3most viewed threads on the site. Now, my link to it is broken.

Thanks alot for the bump.
Just asking what would a 8.8 rear on a 98 Camaro SS cost, installed. Everything under the car is stock.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Studytime
Since around mid 2007 I have not built an 8.8" for an Fbody.
Out of curiosity, how many of these did you sell and what did they sell for?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 PM

A lot of the specifics on this I'd really like to keep confidential and not post on the internet. Please understand that I'm not trying to be rude. This is the same reason any other business does not list the price they pay for an item.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by shoemike
Out of curiosity, how many of these did you sell and what did they sell for?
I hate to disclose too much information, but I was selling a few each month my last year of college. I'd work on these on the evenings and weekends.

Ben T.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 PM

Update,

$2500 for a bolt in ready to run 8.8" (use as a guide on how to build these things) and all parts to build your next 8.8" plus tons of other parts.

Quick Reply: Selling business, All interest I have in building 8.8" rears