Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Anyone a Dealership Service Advisor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Thunder
The CSI report is broken down to each answer and each answer has a score. The "Advisor" question have there own individual score as well.. An advisor can still have a good score and the rest of the experience can have a bad one. Granted you can **** someone off due to a part or tech and still get hammered no matter how you do.
The easiest way to bring up your CSI is simply to discuss it with EVERY one of your customers! A quick 1-2 minute talk will do wonders. And EVERY time you get a bad CSI or even "Very satisified" or "Satisfied" scores CALL THE CUSTOMER! On most occasions if they know you are going to (I use this word loosely) confront them, the survey will take on a whole new meaning when they fill it out next time.
You will be surprised how much your score will go up if you just talk to your customers! Explain to them that your only passing score is "completely satisfied" show them where they can score the actual vehicle, if they are not happy with it..
And the best thing is, your # of responses will come way up, if you just talk to your customers! The average happy person sees the survey and tosses it, not realizing how much it means to you.. The average pissed off person will fill it out.
And now they can fill it out on the internet!
Not for Subaru. They mail it to you.

All Surveys are submitted with the Advisors name so he is held accountable no one else is. So, I can do everything right. However, if the customer gets pissed because the parts dept took too long to get the part shipped in, and they mention that on the survey the overall survey gets the bad grade which is in my name, not the parts dept. So I will get a bad survey if a tech screws up, if the parts dept screws up or even if the sales dept screws up.

I am an experienced advisor. I speak with every warranty customer about the survey at the counter and talk to them about it. I also follow up with every customer 3 days later to make sure the repair was properly done and they are not having issues. I also discuss with them again about the survey they will be receiving.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackfang
Not for Subaru. They mail it to you.

All Surveys are submitted with the Advisors name so he is held accountable no one else is. So, I can do everything right. However, if the customer gets pissed because the parts dept took too long to get the part shipped in, and they mention that on the survey the overall survey gets the bad grade which is in my name, not the parts dept. So I will get a bad survey if a tech screws up, if the parts dept screws up or even if the sales dept screws up.

I am an experienced advisor. I speak with every warranty customer about the survey at the counter and talk to them about it. I also follow up with every customer 3 days later to make sure the repair was properly done and they are not having issues. I also discuss with them again about the survey they will be receiving.
Yes the survey is linked to the advisor's name.
I dont know about Subaru, but GM surveys are scored by individual questions and sections. Here is a sample of a GMC survey: http://www.gmnacsi.com/GMCSI/help/PDF/GMC-SSS.pdf
The results are also scored the same way. Yes ultimately the Service Advisor is accountable, as he should be. The service advisor is the customers contact. The service advisor is the one in charge of most of the perception that drives the customers answers. Yes you can't fix everything. No you can't always convince a customer to score the service advisor portion of the survey in your favor. But as with everything else in this world it boils down to averages.
I find a lot of service advisors want to point fingers at everyone else except themselves.
If you can't AVERAGE a good CSI score, you are not trying hard enough or your store has serious issues. You are always going to have customers you cant please. You are always going to have customers that will hammer you, no matter what you do.
But...
If you dont have enough customers that are completely satisfied, or are happy with you, and your service department, you are in the wrong business..
Again I cant stress the importance of merely asking for them to fill out the survey. % of survey responses is EVERYTHING! With enough return even a marginal advisor will come out smelling like a rose..
Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Green Thunder
Yes the survey is linked to the advisor's name.
I dont know about Subaru, but GM surveys are scored by individual questions and sections. Here is a sample of a GMC survey: http://www.gmnacsi.com/GMCSI/help/PDF/GMC-SSS.pdf
The results are also scored the same way. Yes ultimately the Service Advisor is accountable, as he should be. The service advisor is the customers contact. The service advisor is the one in charge of most of the perception that drives the customers answers. Yes you can't fix everything. No you can't always convince a customer to score the service advisor portion of the survey in your favor. But as with everything else in this world it boils down to averages.
For one I love that survey because it is based on the Advisor.

If i truly screw up, I will own up to it. If I forget to book the rental, or forget to call the customer when the parts in or update them on the repairs(i.e engine or trans jobs, etc), or just have a "I don't care attitude" then yes I deserve every bit of it.

However,if our parts dept drops the ball forgetting to order parts, could give a damn, they will order it whenever, or just forget to order it altogether, then yes that is not the advisor's fault and I feel they need to be held accountable in some form. Right now they are free and clear with no worries, yet the advisor's pay is being cut. Another is when I am off that day and there is a warranty repair, it reflects me, yet I am off. Again, No one but me is losing money by this and yet I am not even there.

I find a lot of service advisors want to point fingers at everyone else except themselves.
If you can't AVERAGE a good CSI score, you are not trying hard enough or your store has serious issues. You are always going to have customers you cant please. You are always going to have customers that will hammer you, no matter what you do.
But...
If you dont have enough customers that are completely satisfied, or are happy with you, and your service department, you are in the wrong business..
Again I cant stress the importance of merely asking for them to fill out the survey. % of survey responses is EVERYTHING! With enough return even a marginal advisor will come out smelling like a rose..
Thankfully I have a good high average and usually leading my district and high on region.

I tend to disagree with how our Management above the Service Manager feels CSI is a dealers CSI, yet the SM and Advisor get the pay cut when other people have created that bad score. It is not the SM nor advisor's fault a customer thinks you should have leather seats in the waiting lounge(that was a truthful response btw), or you don't have this or that at your dealership.

many places make the mistake that Upper management do not play a vital role in CSI. If a majority of the bad response revolve around how poorly the dealership is setup for the customers, then get on it and fix it. Don't tell the advisor they need to get better scores, when what is hurting them is beyond the advisor's control. All you are doing is frustrating your advisor, potentially making things worse and not fixing the problem.

My old dealership everyone got a bonus from CSI and if the dealership did not hit the goal, everyone missed out on the bonus. That is keeping it fair and right.

Personally the CSI should ask 2 things
A Was your car fixed correctly the first time?
B. Were you treated professionally and with courtesy by your Service Advisor/rep?

Nothing else!! Who cares about how many recliners are in the lounge, or if you have HD TV or that they are the only dealership in town and it inconveniences the customer because they live too far away. 2 questions that actually deal with the nitty gritty.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

im looking to get to be a service advisor, ive been a tech for 5 years and have been also doubling as a service adviser at the last 3 shops ive worked at, the most recent was to be only a service adviser...apparently that hasnt worked out. so im looking at dealerships of course.

whats a good commission percentage?

i hope i can revive this 5 year old thread lol
Old 09-08-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

A good commission percentage can vary. Some pay on just labor alone, some pay on labor and parts sales, some pay on a combination. The average total would come out to 9-10%. Our dealer(Toyota now) pays us $3 per total labor dollar sold. Plus a bonus anywhere from $.25-$1 based on our CP hours per RO, CP labor dollars per RO, $.25-$1.50 for ELR, plus $.20 on total shop hours, 1% of parts sales, $5 per flush we sell and $250 for CSI or we lose $250.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am GM certified tech and want nothing more than to get out of the dealerships and find a new career. I would never in my right mind think of becoming a service advisor. In my 11 years experience, I have only seen a few HONEST service advisors. Most try and sell customers things they don't need even when the tech isn't recommending it. i have even seen them charge more labor than the tech is requesting on customer pay jobs just to make their sales increase. This has happend to me more than enough times and i have told them to just give me what i requested because i am honest. i absolutely hate this industry due to all the dishonesty and it all starts from the top. I do agree with previous posts that csi screws the service advisor and many times it's not their fault. Management always thinks you can please everyone but they fail to acknowledge there are people that just like to bitch and complain. Csi should not affect their pay in any way do to that one fact. The whole dealership industry needs a revamping.

Quick Reply: Anyone a Dealership Service Advisor?