Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Anyone a Dealership Service Advisor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone a Dealership Service Advisor?

just wondering how stressful/rewarding a job as a service advisor is? i see these jobs going locally quite often and think it would suit me well. i hear the first year(much like car sales) you are getting a customer/clientel goin, after the second year you get more repeat business.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to be i really enjoyed it alot, dont get me wrong you have your fair share of ******** but for the most part the people are very friendly. some place there can be a good bit of money to be made. im in the parts department now. what car company are you going to try?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Used to be. I found it to be a tough go. Some of the hardest parts were selling service to people that I didn't really believe in myself. I also found it very competitive between me and the other advisors. I was more into customer service but my boss and the dealer principal were into me making money for them. Probably the worst part was the job security issue. They will get rid of you when ever they are ready.
Sorry for being so negative, I am sure others have a more positive outlook on this job.
Good Luck
Old 09-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Teching In

im a service advisor...it can be very rewarding.

honest truth though, if you are not a people person, do not have patience, cant give fake smiles all day, tell white lies all the time, deal with rude customers, management always bitching at you, and most importantly not able to sell....its not for you.

you really have to be able to sell sand to a camel though to be a good advisor
Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Well said SPRACK. I'm an advisor for Dodge,Chrysler, and Jeep. Its in a great location with a reputable name, but busy season is stressful. I read to my colleagues what you wrote and they all busted a gut.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Teching In

decent money can get very stressful you need to be easy going and cant have short temper
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the replies guys, i think i might give it a try, i feel im a fairly good people person and i usually dont let stuff get me stressed......the only prob would be dealin with the small minoirty of absolute ********, but im in canada so everyone is nice .....lol, I had a job lined up at Nissan, but never went thru because another better paying job came up
Old 09-26-2007, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

What type of pay are you guys making as an advisor ?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mapleredt/a
i used to be i really enjoyed it alot, dont get me wrong you have your fair share of ******** but for the most part the people are very friendly. some place there can be a good bit of money to be made. im in the parts department now. what car company are you going to try?
I did the same thing.

I was a advisor for 2 years and then moved over to parts. I like it much better here and am a Parts manager now so things are a bit easier as I deal with the public a little less.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by walker94z28
What type of pay are you guys making as an advisor ?

I made $40k at a slow dealership.

I am also not a overly aggressive advisor. There are more that will push a bit harder and make more.

A our busy stores $60k was the norm and pretty easy to attain as long as you know what yourr doing.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nate's4.6
I made $40k at a slow dealership.

I am also not a overly aggressive advisor. There are more that will push a bit harder and make more.

A our busy stores $60k was the norm and pretty easy to attain as long as you know what yourr doing.
I was just curious. I am curently in the buisness and my pay scale now is 45k guaranteed with an aditional bonus check of 3600 a year from the manufacture if we meet our csi for the quarters which we have for like 10 quarters in a row. I also get spiffs from Valvoline and other company's . I should be able to clear 55 to 60.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by walker94z28
I was just curious. I am curently in the buisness and my pay scale now is 45k guaranteed with an aditional bonus check of 3600 a year from the manufacture if we meet our csi for the quarters which we have for like 10 quarters in a row. I also get spiffs from Valvoline and other company's . I should be able to clear 55 to 60.

Sounds like you should be well over 50 with out pushing sales. So your in good shape.

CSI is easy, smile, wave, and kiss their *** even when you dont like them.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

you'll enjoy it, its something different every day.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nate's4.6
Sounds like you should be well over 50 with out pushing sales. So your in good shape.

CSI is easy, smile, wave, and kiss their *** even when you dont like them.
Yeah, I have been in the business now for 7 years. I went to college and graduated with an asociates degree in buisness. I have certificates from GM, Mazda , and now Hyundai. I love the challenge. I have managed a facility in Tn with Mazda, but now I am just a lead advisor. The sad part is that I make more here, but its just the area. I want to become a Manager again somewhere.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

I am an Advisor for a Subaru dealer. I love the job(I worked for Toyota before this and other shops), and Subaru customers are a breed of their own and expect a lot. I deal with my fair share of ********. At the same time I have a lot of great customers. So you have to expect it and balance it out. The pay is nice but i am also at a good dealer who pays well. I get paid commission on my labor sales only, no salary and so far have cleared around 56k and should hit 60k in my first year here. Toyota I was salary and commission on labor sales.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 PM
Teching In

its all about building up your clientele and being able to sell jobs to customers with 100 percent confidence. the minute you start studdering your words or show uncertainty about any questions the customers may have, 80 percent chance you just lost that sale.

my question to you other service advisors on here, is how are you paid?

my personal pay plan is a salary plus commission.

i get 1200 a month salary, then 3% commission on the customer pay and warranty labor profit. i dont get paid for any internal work, sublet work, or parts profit though because we arent on a team system here quite yet. but with labor profits sitting around 100,000 a month im seeing roughly $50,500 a year plus my bonuses for BG and flush sales.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

my adviser cleared 130k last year, thats just the legal money not including tips
average is probaly about 70k here
Old 11-07-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

damn i'm getting boned lol
Old 11-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

What qualifications do you need to be a service advisor? I'm currently going to school to get at least my associates in business then i'm going to decide if i want to get my bachelors or try out a tech position.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am a lead tech at a ford dealership. my advisor makes 100k a year with a groupf techs under him that he can trust to get the job done whenn he needs it done. also it is done right. how much you will make is going to depend on how much support you have and how aggressive you are.

Quick Reply: Anyone a Dealership Service Advisor?