Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Is Wyotech/UTI worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Wyotech/UTI worth it?

I know this is a bit off topic, but it's my dream to become a high performance fabricator/builder. I've read a lot of success stories about UTI/Wyotech, but I've also talked to people/shop owners who say you don't learn enough during the courses. I really want to pursue a career building ls engines (love ls engines lol), also specializing in tuning and fabricating turbo systems. I've worked on cars since I was young, but have no formal training. I've worked at a mechanic shop doing tune-ups, brake jobs, etc., and also did cam swaps, intake manifold swaps, exhaust on personal hot rods (nothing too in-depth), but it's been my dream to do more. Wyotech and UTI are really expensive schools to attend, and I'd have to apply for financial aid. I don't want 30-40k in loans for nothing and don't have the money to attend. I live in North Louisiana and there aren't really any high performance shops I could work or take an apprenticeship at. Does anyone have some advice or words of wisdom they could give me?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

UNOH./thread
Old 07-10-2013, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Would go to SAM and buy yourself a welder and tools and start learning stuff on your own. Wyotech and UTI aren't high performance schools, they teach you to work in a dealership. You get out what you out in.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

i went to UTI and it was a great start, but it is just that A START. continuing education is the key to success. you will never stop learning in this industry. UTI does not have fab classes, and as stated before they are geared only towards the dealership side of the auto industry. SAM would have been my choice but when i was looking they didnt accept the gi bill like they do now! good luck
Old 07-11-2013, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-11-2013, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Its a start that's it.
I went there, i learned alot.....but they don't focus on modifying engines as much as the basics.
If u already have a good foundation i would go to SAM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

I have a lot of personal experience as I worked for a long time at one of the schools mentioned in here..

as with any school..."YOU GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT"...

I had students leaving with a C- and bad attendance and wonder why no shop would speak with them…then I had guys walk out with PERFECT attendance and grades and actually showed a desire to learn and strive forward and had jobs waiting for them starting off well into the $20/hour area…not bad for anyone in this economy let alone someone in their early 20s. Any of the schools mentioned will be solid...if you make them solid. SAM prob focuses a little more towards the LS industry for obvious reasons but UTI and WyoTech both have high perfomance classes.

As far as price...schooling in general isnt cheap. Just gotta figure out of the juice is worth the squeeze.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 4u 2 nv
I have a lot of personal experience as I worked for a long time at one of the schools mentioned in here..

as with any school..."YOU GET OUT OF IT WHAT YOU PUT INTO IT"...

I had students leaving with a C- and bad attendance and wonder why no shop would speak with them…then I had guys walk out with PERFECT attendance and grades and actually showed a desire to learn and strive forward and had jobs waiting for them starting off well into the $20/hour area…not bad for anyone in this economy let alone someone in their early 20s. Any of the schools mentioned will be solid...if you make them solid. SAM prob focuses a little more towards the LS industry for obvious reasons but UTI and WyoTech both have high perfomance classes.

As far as price...schooling in general isnt cheap. Just gotta figure out of the juice is worth the squeeze.
Man, I can tell you I've already graduated from junior college with a 3.8 GPA and I had the top grades in the class for the major I chose. I definitely put my all into anything I do and take pride in it; especially when I'm paying for it. lol! I absolutely do not want to work at a dealership though. I've worked at a mechanic shop doing general maintenance and repairs on things like a Ford Taurus and other granny cars. That's just no fun to me. I WANNA GO FAST!!! LOL!!! I think with the knowledge I already possess and my serious attitude, I'd do well in any of the schools, but it sounds like SAM is more geared towards what I'd like to pursue. I really appreciate the experience insight though.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
Its a start that's it.
I went there, i learned alot.....but they don't focus on modifying engines as much as the basics.
If u already have a good foundation i would go to SAM.
Thanks a lot man!!! I've been hearing this over and over. I don't think Wyotech is for me. It's 6 months of basics with 3 months of high performance. That isn't enough time to gain a lot of knowledge. If it was a two year program, I would probably consider it more. I enrolled at the local trade school today in welding. I may take the welding course and try to go to work at a high performance chassis fab shop or any high performance shop to learn more. I think with blueprint reading, tig, mig, , stick, structural, and pipe welding/fitting I could get my feet off the ground.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

I went to wyotech. It cost me a ton of money and im now stuck in a career field that i dont want to be in. The automotive flat rate system is a joke plain and simple. If you want to do what your doing... wyotech really isnt the right "school". Oh and BTW wyotech/uti are businesses NOT schools!
Old 07-14-2013, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Absolutely Not. If you are serious about going into the automotive industry go to a community college and work at a machine shop, performance shop, or something else along those lines. Some performance shops look down on dealer technicians. I assume you are young though and have not developed bad habits yet. It is not always about the school on your resume but more about how bad you want it and the connections you make.

Be smart and purchase your tools while you’re in school, typically 50% off. It is a one-time opportunity to purchase quality tools with that kind of discount, don’t put all your money in a box and not have tools either.

If you are really serious and dedicated, mechanical engineering is a much better avenue. You’ll understand things far beyond a technician and have the design aspect and theory down too. You also have many more doors open and you can work on cars, your own, as a hobby. Think long term before making your decision.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
Absolutely Not. If you are serious about going into the automotive industry go to a community college and work at a machine shop, performance shop, or something else along those lines. Some performance shops look down on dealer technicians. I assume you are young though and have not developed bad habits yet. It is not always about the school on your resume but more about how bad you want it and the connections you make.
every team i ever worked for was a 'who ya know' job. i made the mistake of not keeping up with those people because i was doing okay.

If you are really serious and dedicated, mechanical engineering is a much better avenue. You’ll understand things far beyond a technician and have the design aspect and theory down too. You also have many more doors open and you can work on cars, your own, as a hobby. Think long term before making your decision.
this is what i tell everyone that asks where to start. i frankly suck at math so bad that there was no way i could get a ME degree. at 29 i regret not trying atleast.

as far as where to if a degree isnt in the cards? SAM would be the place. fab work can come later IMO
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

I went to Wyotech and did chassis fab and high performance engines along with ASM. The school was great for a base platform of knowledge, but by the time I graduated I knew working at a dealership wasn't for me. I got a job at a private shop and 6 years later bought the place and now I get to build the occasional project car with turbos and engine swaps but the real money is in maintenance and gravy.

It sounds like you are on the right track, taking a welding course along with the fact you already have a base knowledge of cars should be a good start. Best bet would be to find a place that allowed you to earn money to start doing what you like as a hobby on the side and if you make a good name for yourself doing that perhaps start business in your career of choice. Dont get down if you aren't in your dream career right away, that sort of stuff rarely happens. Focus on working hard making money and while doing that, formulate a plan to make what you love a career.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls_fanatic
I know this is a bit off topic, but it's my dream to become a high performance fabricator/builder. I've read a lot of success stories about UTI/Wyotech, but I've also talked to people/shop owners who say you don't learn enough during the courses. I really want to pursue a career building ls engines (love ls engines lol), also specializing in tuning and fabricating turbo systems. I've worked on cars since I was young, but have no formal training. I've worked at a mechanic shop doing tune-ups, brake jobs, etc., and also did cam swaps, intake manifold swaps, exhaust on personal hot rods (nothing too in-depth), but it's been my dream to do more. Wyotech and UTI are really expensive schools to attend, and I'd have to apply for financial aid. I don't want 30-40k in loans for nothing and don't have the money to attend. I live in North Louisiana and there aren't really any high performance shops I could work or take an apprenticeship at. Does anyone have some advice or words of wisdom they could give me?
There are plenty of shops in N Louisiana. You just don't have the connections to the right people.

Tom Delaney's shop is in Shreveport. So is pro NHRA driver Greg Stanfield, for starters.

So what makes you say that? Have you exhausted all searches and found NO results? Or are you basing that on the fact that you don't know of any right off hand? How old are you? Do you know anyone in the business?

For starters. try going out to Thunder Road once in a while. Get to know some racers. Find out who they use, if they're local, etc...

Then....if you STILL don't have the names of any shops to look at, maybe you can say there are none here in N LA. There's plenty, though. You just need to know the right people.

Hell, Kittler's Automotive Machine Shop in Bossier City is a perfect place to start. Ellis in Shreveport. There's A LOT of shops just in Shreveport/Bossier area alone.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be smart and purchase your tools while you’re in school, typically 50% off. It is a one-time opportunity to purchase quality tools with that kind of discount, don’t put all your money in a box and not have tools either.

This is probably the best advice in the thread. UTI grad here, auto/diesel/industrial. Not worth it, and you can get just as good an education (if not better) from a community college for a fraction the cost - AND get an actual degree that somebody besides a dealership might give a **** about.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

I went to Wyotech in 01/02. I don't recommend anyone go to UTI or Wyotech unless they are content spending too much to get into a career that pays too little.

But like everyone has said they are schools geared toward dealer and independent repair techs.

I'd suggest talking to the kinds of shops you want to work for and ask what they suggest for schooling/training.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Launching!

I work at a dealership and attended the GM ASEP program. It is far more in depth than any wyotech/uti program and you have a job at your sponsoring dealership when you finish. You acquire an associates degree which helps if you latercwant to further your education. Also it is far less expensive and i got 60% off anything i bought through snap-on while i was in school. As far as performance schools, SAM is the way to go. I am sure there are a other good performance schools, but I have never heard anything bad about SAM. I am currently looking at other careers because the dealership industry is not for me anymore. Tired of working around dishonest people.

Quick Reply: Is Wyotech/UTI worth it?