Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

I would like to start over and need some direction, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I would like to start over and need some direction, please read.

I'm currently 23, have no debt and have a general associate of science degree from a local community college. I work full-time as an electrician. I make good money but my job is unfulfilling, the pay could be better, and travel is a plus. I’m tired of putting along and want to get this ball rolling.

I want to know what steps I need to take to work in R&D engine development for a large race team. I mean extremely large, as in GM Lemans Series, McLaren/Mercedes F1, Porsche Lemans, Renault F1, Ferrari F1 etc.

I roughly need to know what degrees will lead me in this area, people who are in this position or anything that can help me make this happen.

This thread will be bumped daily (or per forum rules) for months on various forums throughout the automotive community.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any specific info please don't hesitate to e-mail me at James_M_Worley@hotmail.com
Old 03-16-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont even know where to start on this one..... Education is the best answer I can offer the types you listed are so engineering driven you wont be debt free afterwards not to mention the move to Europe.Maybe a parts washing job a Honda racing or TRD then climp the ladder.. its an extremely long process especially if you dont know anyone to help get you in the door racing isnt about what you know its who you know...
Old 03-16-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

I looked up the biographies for the Mclaren team and the majority of them are from England, mostly degrees from Cambridge in mechanical engineering. One from Loughborough with a degree in automotive engineering, and the managing director has a degree in physics...

The closest camparative in the states is Pratt Miller...I don't know anyone else in the states who runs or even contributes world class race teams...
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you looked into SAM?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Teching In

To be completely honest with you, you will need an engineering degree from a high-end school to get into anything F1. However we do have graduates from School of Automotive Machinists working in other high-end forms of racing like Cosworth Innovation Performance, AJ Foyt Enterprises, Mclaren Engines, CRD Engines and Katech (engine builders for ALMS Chevrolet Corvettes). Hope this helps somewhat and goodluck on whatever path you choose.

Ben
713-683-3817
samracing.com
Old 03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Does anyone know a ball-park beginning income for any position such as the one I'm describing? Plays a big part in it if I have to shell out 35K+ a year for school...I'm assuming 100K+ a year is realistic...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

If you plan on doing engines Pratt and Miller wont help ya they dont do engines... Like i said TRD or Honda in southern Ca.... I have looked at websites the post F1 jobs and the levels of education required make you think its for the space program not a race team....
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 AM
On The Tree

You will have to have a degree in either mechanical or automotive engineering, preferably mechanical. The reason for this is their level of R&D sophistication is uncomparable in regards to some other racing catagories. If I remember correctly, to work for Renault ,Porsche, etc (any manuf in Europe), you have to speak their language fluently. Experience is also a key factor.

If you have completed all of that, try the hard part. It is next to impossible to get into the industry without knowing someone. I would say networking with people inside the industry would be one of the most important things. Simply sending your resume in response to a job opening is pointless. I talked to Toyota recruiters and they basically told me to take a year off of school and work for them, then maybe one day I could help design a cupholder for a Sequoia. hahaha

Also from what I hear the pay isnt in any way comparable to other industries in engineering. None of this has discouraged me though and I am still considering trying to make it in. Ive gotta go take a Thermodynamics test now lol

Last edited by red95ssclone; 03-18-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Daily Bump...more opinions please. Thanks for everyone's replies.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Another bump
Old 03-22-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

another bump
Old 03-25-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Resident

I don't really need to bump it from 3rd but why not...
Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Resident

I seriously doubt there's anyone else on this site that can offer real world experence for the career path your shooting for....Like I said in previous posts the ONLY people in the US with direct ties to the teams which you describe will be TRD and Honda Racing... Start there....You can pack up and move to Europe but without an education and a pocket full of money you wont get far.. I have a good friend of mine at work who's from Australia owned his own rally cars worked on V8 super cars very very smart guy... Moved to England to get a job in F1 and ended up working on rental construction equipment had a job at Arrows F1 but they closed down before he started...
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

you will be in debt by the time you go back to school for 10 more years before they (f1) will even give you the time of day

racing sucks, long hours, no family. i've won my races,i won my championship. i'm done with it for now
Old 03-25-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NoRice
you will be in debt by the time you go back to school for 10 more years before they (f1) will even give you the time of day

racing sucks, long hours, no family. i've won my races,i won my championship. i'm done with it for now
You worked at Germain? ... I almost got my championship.... won 9 races
Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
You worked at Germain? ... I almost got my championship.... won 9 races
i dont remember how many win withs Germain, all i really needed to know is i could build cars taht could win every time they hit the track:o even when i was in Pro Stock and Pro Mod i never unloaded at the track and didn't think my cars could win. i've been very lucky i havent had to work for someone like robby gordon or erin crocker knowing the hardest part of my weekend was trying to get what was a race car back in the box

if we are talking about the same season, you got your championship stolen
Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

I would like to thank everyone for all the e-mails I've recieved. They have been a big help..
Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Banned

Head to Georgia Tech, MIT or a Technology school such as those, and get a mechanical engeenering degree.. THAT would be the first step I took..

Then as most of us know, you have to start at the bottom some were and prove yourself.

OR you could finish up your science degree and go to medical school !!

I start medschool in september! Its def. a viable option!

Quick Reply: I would like to start over and need some direction, please read.