Meet the New Lincoln Town Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Meet the New Lincoln Town Car

Lincoln MKT becomes the new Town Car for fleet, livery customers

By Mike Magrath | February 14, 2011

What to do, what to do. Lately, Lincoln has been making a decent living selling Town Cars to chauffer fleets. Trouble is, the Panther platform is, after 100 years, going the way of Mercury.

So what, then, to replace it? Ford is trying to sell the new Taurus for Police cars, but that probably won't work for carting executives around - not a lot of headroom in the back. And that trunk? Not a Town Car trunk.

So Lincoln has chosen the MKT as the newest Town Car. The Town Car will be available in two body styles, Livery and Limousine. The Limo will feature permanent all-wheel-drive and can be stretched up to 120 additional inches. That's ten more feet of MKT.

The Livery will have rear seat controls for the front passenger seat allowing for more leg room-- this in addition to the 1.5 inches of extra legroom already afforded over the MKT-- USB charger and 110-volt power socket as well as optional Wi-Fi hotspot.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh.
Did no one at Ford think to re-design the Panther platform?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

what a piece of ****. you have to be kidding me. does anyone actually spend money for those? besides FOG52?

keep it going ford. cadillac needs you to set the bar.

EDIT: that grille. who 'designs' something like that.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lincoln seems to have completely surrendered to Buick and Cadillac...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

good riddance. lincoln died in the 70's. my grandpa had a 60 cadillac. and then got a 74 mark V. both were great cars. since then lincoln has tried to pawn off LTD's for big money.

ill NEVER own one. EVER. Tracy had a 90's continental, and liked it, but we will only own cadillac now. we've had three and not a single problem. number 4 will be the same.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

This is a crossover and for that, I think it's a bad idea to call it Town Car... That said, I think people are selling it short based on their idea of what it should look like. This thing is intended for "mature" people... over 40.. and those who tote people around for a night on the town or a classy ride from the airport. Businessmen will like it about as much as any other in the class. Will it sell in stretch chassis form? Hard to tell, but probably. It won't sell very well compared to most, but somehow, I really think that's the idea... though I wouldn't have that plan.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by It'llrun
This is a crossover and for that, I think it's a bad idea to call it Town Car... That said, I think people are selling it short based on their idea of what it should look like. This thing is intended for "mature" people... over 40.. and those who tote people around for a night on the town or a classy ride from the airport. Businessmen will like it about as much as any other in the class. Will it sell in stretch chassis form? Hard to tell, but probably.
I agree. I was a fan of previous Town Cars (rented a few when down in Florida and family members/friends have had them) but this one might just fill the void as well. If it's even easier to get in/out of then the old car it could even be a hit.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by assasinator
good riddance. lincoln died in the 70's. my grandpa had a 60 cadillac. and then got a 74 mark V. both were great cars. since then lincoln has tried to pawn off LTD's for big money.

ill NEVER own one. EVER. Tracy had a 90's continental, and liked it, but we will only own cadillac now. we've had three and not a single problem. number 4 will be the same.
what do you mean? lincolns of the late 70s were great...

where else can you buy a ford granada with a dressed up body kit for $5000 more?

at least cadillac never did anything that stupid.......oh wait, yea they did

kind of ironic actually since that mkt looks like a dressed up ford explorer

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 02-16-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by assasinator

Eh... Not so much. The 80's and into the 90's brought us extremely similar body styles, but since 91, the T-Car has been obviously different and was actually larger(longer) than the Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. One of my brothers got 2 Merc's, '73 Marquis and '73 or 4 Grand Marquis. We really couldn't tell the difference, but the other 6 of us guys could climb into either all at once!

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
kind of ironic actually since that mkt looks like a dressed up ford explorer
You think that looks like the Explorer? Not me... I think it's basically the Edge, but from what I've read on the two, the Lincoln must use a different chassis because it's got a longer wheelbase according to their Ford website. That, I find ironic, because almost all other dimensions seem to be about a dead even match.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

It's the Lincoln version of the Ford Flex.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

oh and just like chevy tried to push the tahoe on police fleets after they axed the caprice in 1996, i see this being a huge failure for Ford.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Eww. Just, wtf, eww...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

You think that looks like the Explorer? Not me... I think it's basically the Edge, but from what I've read on the two, the Lincoln must use a different chassis because it's got a longer wheelbase according to their Ford website. That, I find ironic, because almost all other dimensions seem to be about a dead even match.
I agree, and this thing can also be stretched another 10 feet if need be for true limo service, hopefully that along with some black paint and tinted windows will make it more appealing.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
It's the Lincoln version of the Ford Flex.
I think that's a bit of a misnomer, kind of a misleading way to say the chassis is essentially the same. The bodies are quite different and they really don't much resemble each other in visual terms. I agree about the chassis itself. It seems the same.

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
oh and just like chevy tried to push the tahoe on police fleets after they axed the caprice in 1996, i see this being a huge failure for Ford.
Where's the link here? This Lincoln is being slated as a Town Car, a Limo... They're not talking about making it a cop car. That's the Taurus and while I don't think it's great in either case, it's two different models with two different goals.

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I agree, and this thing can also be stretched another 10 feet if need be for true limo service, hopefully that along with some black paint and tinted windows will make it more appealing.
I'm not sold on it, but whatever... They've made some fairly odd vehicles over the yrs, using unsuspecting designs. Trishield brought the Flex to light... It's gotta be that chassis underneath, but it looks much more like the Edge to me, externally.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I think that's a bit of a misnomer, kind of a misleading way to say the chassis is essentially the same. The bodies are quite different and they really don't much resemble each other in visual terms. I agree about the chassis itself. It seems the same.

Where's the link here? This Lincoln is being slated as a Town Car, a Limo... They're not talking about making it a cop car. That's the Taurus and while I don't think it's great in either case, it's two different models with two different goals.

I'm not sold on it, but whatever... They've made some fairly odd vehicles over the yrs, using unsuspecting designs. Trishield brought the Flex to light... It's gotta be that chassis underneath, but it looks much more like the Edge to me, externally.
well i meant that sometimes fleets don't take well to a major model change. moving from a car to an SUV didn't work for the police, and it might not work for limo sales either.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Oh... Gotcha... The T is more of a minivan to me and I think it will be a hard sale at 1st, if not forever. When I see one actually stretched out, I'll determine whether or not I like it. Having said that, I may think it's awesome and that won't effect a single sale, since I'm not buying anyway. Limo drivers are a rare bunch though, and they may love it. Look how well the Hummer did. It looks like a disaster on wheels, but many were built... Novelty goes a long way in this market.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

Fail
Old 02-17-2011, 11:25 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

That is some horrible looking ****.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ford is either looking for a reason to tank the Lincoln brand, or they've placed all their 3rd string designers in charge of it. Honestly, if that's the kind of effort they're gonna place into their luxury badge, they just as soon go ahead and shut it down. More money to spend on the core brand, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I think I've been more impressed with the interior of a lot of the recent Ford efforts than I am with that of this Lincoln. That says something to me...
Old 02-19-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
Ford is either looking for a reason to tank the Lincoln brand, or they've placed all their 3rd string designers in charge of it. Honestly, if that's the kind of effort they're gonna place into their luxury badge, they just as soon go ahead and shut it down. More money to spend on the core brand, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

I think I've been more impressed with the interior of a lot of the recent Ford efforts than I am with that of this Lincoln. That says something to me...
^This . . .

Lincoln has been putting out some hideious looking cars for the past 3-4 years. What's worse is that they have absolutely no Lincoln exclusive features, they are all just a reskin of an existing Ford. Same mechanicals, same tech, sync, MyFordTouch=MyLincolnTouch, same engines. Really Lincoln now days is all about overpaying for a very ugly Ford.

Quick Reply: Meet the New Lincoln Town Car