Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

back and forth it goes

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default back and forth it goes

strong sales numbers for mustangs last month.

http://themustangsource.com/mustang-...ual-sales-lead
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After owning an ls1 Fbody for 10 years I just purchased a 2014 GT for $27K. Love it like crazy. Maybe if GM cared about younger buyers like me id still be in a chevy
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wannabess00
After owning an ls1 Fbody for 10 years I just purchased a 2014 GT for $27K. Love it like crazy. Maybe if GM cared about younger buyers like me id still be in a chevy
Did you get the gt brand new? If so thats a great deal you got. I was really close to getting a white m6 13 gt right before i got my ws6. Im really glad i got the ws6 since they dont make them anymore and i love the looks, but i still plan to get a 5.0 later down the road. Maybe even a boss 302
Old 07-03-2013, 04:33 AM
TECH Addict

Let's hope Camaro sales slowed just because people are awaiting the next chassis or at least the slight changes. If not, things are possibly heading to where they were when GM axed the brand. Don't wanna see that happen, ever again. The refresh is positively needed and it's great that it's coming.

The only other hope it seems is to lower pricing. If a GT can be had for 27k, that's not just stunning(haven't seen one under 31 in over a yr), it's significant. GM may need to consider the same "loss" in order to remain relevant for the short term. Or they could take the Chrysler approach and over-price it completely, then just deal with the slower sales. The one part of this trio I don't get and never did get, is why Chrysler seems to think their vehicles are worth so much more, when it's obvious to most of us, they're not built as well or as strong in general.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Let's hope Camaro sales slowed just because people are awaiting the next chassis or at least the slight changes. If not, things are possibly heading to where they were when GM axed the brand. Don't wanna see that happen, ever again. The refresh is positively needed and it's great that it's coming.

The only other hope it seems is to lower pricing. If a GT can be had for 27k, that's not just stunning(haven't seen one under 31 in over a yr), it's significant. GM may need to consider the same "loss" in order to remain relevant for the short term. Or they could take the Chrysler approach and over-price it completely, then just deal with the slower sales. The one part of this trio I don't get and never did get, is why Chrysler seems to think their vehicles are worth so much more, when it's obvious to most of us, they're not built as well or as strong in general.

The Challenger is an absolutely stunning car. However I agree with you that it isn't worth what they are asking. Its heavy, handles like a tank in comparision to a Mustang or Camaro, and the interior is pretty much just "on par" with the competition.

If the interior was as nicely furnished as something like the top level Grand Cherokees, Dodge Rams, Charger or 300 SRT cars, well then I think they might JUST get away with pricing it from 34-43k on their high horsepower SRT models. 50k+ on an SRT Challenger is just plain stupid IMO, for what you get. Granted it looks bitchin, and has a hot motor under the hood, but the chassis is a real letdown IMO for that type of $$$$.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

you get a discount because youre in the industry right?

its just one month. the months prior this year camaro did have a slight lead. who knows whatll happen next month. theyve sold well with not many incentives for awhile now.

i hope camaro sales drop and/or ford offers discounts so GM will do the same so i can get one already.

Last edited by ULTIMATEORANGESS; 07-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

I hope you're not serious with this post. The 5th gen has been a great seller for GM, and nowhere near the type of car that received 0 chassis improvements from 82 - 02 outside of shocks/springs, and 0 marketing compared to its competitor.

One month of lower sales than the Mustang and the Camaro is finished and ready to be axed?? I know GM is known for some really stupid decisions, but let's be a little more realistic here. To further my point, the Cadillac ATS is already out and on the street, and it's no secret the 6th Gen is being built on that platform - another important improvement for Camaro...so it would be safe to say that GM has NO plans to axe the Camaro since they are updating it, unlike the 3rd to 4th gen debacle.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe a Base SS comes better equipped then a base 5.0 which explains the price difference also the 5th gen is a "newer" platform compared to the aging platform the Mustang is on. Also the Camaro has always been more expensive then the Mustangs but yeah would be nice if they started it a bit lower even if it means fewer options.

The good thing is the 5th gens are holding a VERY strong re sale value which keeps used ones higher but in a way thats a good thing.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

the camaro has a better resale value. I've traded a 2010 ss in, and am now looking to trade in my mustang. I was liking the numbers I saw trading in the camaro way more than what I'm being offered right now.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by deft
the camaro has a better resale value. I've traded a 2010 ss in, and am now looking to trade in my mustang. I was liking the numbers I saw trading in the camaro way more than what I'm being offered right now.
It's a totally different market than it was just 1yr ago. More people than since probably early 2008 are buying new cars. When that happens, resale on used tends to drop.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a totally different market than it was just 1yr ago. More people than since probably early 2008 are buying new cars. When that happens, resale on used tends to drop.
Tell that to the used car salesmen...
Old 07-09-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

If people are able to pick up a new 2014 GT for 26-27k, you can see how the trade in value of a 2012 can be negatively impacted. There are deals out there on new ones since the 2015s are on the horizon, so trade in values on current cars takes a beating as well.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM

$27K is a nice price. The best I've seen coupe GTs locally is $29K, with a lil haggling. Sounds like I need to hone my negotiating skills a bit.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Touche... I hear ya on that one. I've been looking for a new car and it's coming down to the reality I will likely get an actually new car as opposed to the used I prefer and all for one reason, PRICE!

I looked at some used stuff on 4 different new/used car dealer lots and the 1yr old stuff is literally priced so close to new, it doesn't make sense to buy the used vehicle. I don't really want new, but the prices don't add up, so it looks like I'll be getting new anyway. I haven't bothered to buy a brand new car since... 1992, I think. It's been quite a long time at any rate. Work trucks and motorcycles is a little different, but for my own use, used has been fine.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Agreed. been looking at corvettes and dealers are asking approximately the same prices for a 2011 with low miles as they are a 2013 with the factory incentives.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Addict

Agreed. been looking at corvettes and dealers are asking approximately the same prices for a 2011 with low miles as they are a 2013 with the factory incentives.
Same here. I spotted a ZO6 that looked worth having and when I walked up, they were asking 44k... It's an 08. So I went looking for any used C6 and got nowhere on pricing. I could buy a new one for about the same, keeping it normal anyway. ZO6 and so forth will cost more, but geeez. That was in the past few months, but I can't see many changes.

Looked online today, same company. They've got a 2013 GS for 55k. They have a 2010 SS for 31k! They have another 2010 for 26k... Idonno what the real differences are, but one is about affordable and the other is exceedingly overpriced. Mileage diff is only 4k, 30,000 vs 26. It's just not a great market right now.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

It may be part of a brilliant plan to boost the sales of new vehicles. If dealers are holding used prices high, people are more inclined to buy new. If people refuse to buy new, the dealership still wins by selling a used vehicle at a higher price than normal. I went in a couple weeks ago to look at a used Avalanche. They held FIRM on their price, arguing it was at KBB value, but refused to give me KBB for my trade in (and I quote, "Kelly Blue Book is not accurate. They are in the business of selling their product. That's all.")

Or am I giving the dealerships too much credit for this creative thinking...
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
you get a discount because youre in the indusrty right?

Price tag was $31K. After a $2k rebate and $2k UAW discount I drove off at $27k. This was a base 5.0 with not much flash but I got it with black cloth and 6speed manual. But either way my usual GM dealership shopping experience changed significantly from 08 when I purchased a TBSS. GM has made it quite clear they dont care about younger buyers. They only care about the 50-60yr old Corvette audience on their way to the golf coarse. I couldnt get them below $36k for a manual camaro ss

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
its just one month. the months prior this year camaro did have a slight lead. who knows whatll happen next month. theyve sold well with not many incentives for awhile now.

i hope camaro sales drop and/or ford offers discounts so GM will do the same so i can get one already.
Id like to see a V6 VS V8 sales number. Many of the camaros I see are RS and not SS. My bosses met with some Chevy/Buick execs in New Orleans last month and sales came up. After hearing all the talk it almost seemed that they viewed V8 camaros as specialty vehicles and would prefer to chase after Cadillac V-series buyers rather than bother with the an audience who wants a mustang rivalry except in the V6 market.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Price tag was $31K. After a $2k rebate and $2k UAW discount I drove off at $27k. This was a base 5.0 with not much flash but I got it with black cloth and 6speed manual. But either way my usual GM dealership shopping experience changed significantly from 08 when I purchased a TBSS. GM has made it quite clear they dont care about younger buyers. They only care about the 50-60yr old Corvette audience on their way to the golf coarse. I couldnt get them below $36k for a manual camaro ss
I wish I could say this surprised me, but it doesn't. If even an insider like you can't get the SS below $36K, then they really don't care about moving the V8s off the lot.

Id like to see a V6 VS V8 sales number. Many of the camaros I see are RS and not SS. My bosses met with some Chevy/Buick execs in New Orleans last month and sales came up. After hearing all the talk it almost seemed that they viewed V8 camaros as specialty vehicles and would prefer to chase after Cadillac V-series buyers rather than bother with the an audience who wants a mustang rivalry except in the V6 market.
I would like to see the same breakdown. I see the new Camaro everywhere, and whenever I catch up to them in traffic, 99/100 are V6 models (I give a thumbs up to the V8 guys).