Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2015 Chevy SS Will Offer Manual Trans

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2015 Chevy SS Will Offer Manual Trans

Looks like the Chevy SS may get much higher sales. A manual version is being offered along with magnetic ride!

http://jalopnik.com/holy-crap-the-ch...ium=socialflow
Old 04-26-2014, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And there was much rejoicing.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yess!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This will excite a lot of people, but how many of those people will have the coin to buy one...?

Also, "Better late than never" should be the new GM advertising slogan.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I still have yet to see one on the streets.... imo Chevy didn't do a good job advertising it. Haven't seen any commercials for them
Old 04-27-2014, 04:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen one so far. A white one. It had some pep to it. If only I was in my TA to see what it really had.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Considering what a bland chunk of metal it is, I could have seen one drive by and never knew it.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 04-28-2014, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by X-ray
Considering what a bland chunk of metal it is, I could have seen one drive by and never knew it.
This, unfortunately. The G8 was a much better looking car externally, to my eye at least. I catch myself staring at the new Impalas as they go by, trying to figure out it if is an SS or an Impala. Only come across 1 SS so far - a black one driven by someone who works at the hospital.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The point of the SS Sedan is to be discrete and modest to the general public, like a BMW or Mercedes sedan would be and not like a Camaro or a G8 (which are awesome cars for us enthusiasts, but perhaps not for dentists and attorneys).
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ran into one on the highway. The A6 definitely must work better on roll races than my 4l60e.

First run he got the hit and had a car by the time mine downshifted and I could barely pull back on him.

Second run I put it in 2nd manually and took a slight hit and got half a car or so out then slowly pulled from there...maybe 2 cars total.

He said he barely got pulled on by a c7 Corvette a few days before.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Guess I need to start saving up.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The point of the SS Sedan is to be discrete and modest to the general public, like a BMW or Mercedes sedan would be and not like a Camaro or a G8 (which are awesome cars for us enthusiasts, but perhaps not for dentists and attorneys).
Yeah but they already have the Impala if you want a big, discreet car.

IMO Chevy/GM has really mis-read the market for this car. Nobody is going to cross shop this with an M5, Audi S6, or AMG Benz. All those are 80-100k.

People are going to cross shop this with the Dodge Charger, Challenger, Camaro, Mustang GT, etc. All of those cars have a swagger, a sense of style about them. Looks wise, this car could not be more frumpy and dated looking IMO. The new Impala looks a lot nicer IMO.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Yeah but they already have the Impala if you want a big, discreet *boring fwd appliance* car.

IMO Chevy/GM has really mis-read the market for this car. Nobody is going to cross shop this with an M5, Audi S6, or AMG Benz. All those are 80-100k.

People are going to cross shop this with the Dodge Charger, Challenger, Camaro, Mustang GT, etc. All of those cars have a swagger, a sense of style about them.
Fixed the first sentence for you

Would you not consider a Chevy sedan that was faster in every way compared to a European car that's 2-3x as expensive? The G8 did pretty damn well.

And not everyone wants "swagger", some people want a refined looking, elegant car. Not everyone who enjoys performance cars enjoys owning a "LOOOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE" car. This is for the people who don't feel the need to broadcast their midlife crisis to the general public. Some people might feel goofy taking their mom or grandma to brunch at the country club in a bright green mustang or a plum crazy purple charger with cartoon decals on it.

The only thing they missed with this car is the name. A lazy name seemingly aimed to excite 16 year olds and rednecks. Even the Caprice moniker would have been more fitting imo lol.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Who thinks more people will buy the manual version than auto? I do not, for sure, but I'm curious.

That said, I'm glad to see it because it simply offers 1 more choice.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Who thinks more people will buy the manual version than auto? I do not, for sure, but I'm curious.

That said, I'm glad to see it because it simply offers 1 more choice.
Considering that the take rate for automatics in 4th gen F-bodies was somewhere around 80%, I think it will be skewed even farther in a vehicle like this.

For all our complaining, most people do not care to own a manual transmission vehicle anymore. This is the same reason there is no 2-door option on the Charger. The take rate would be so low that a legitimate business case can not be made to offer it.

Personally, in a car of this nature I do not even know which I would choose. I like driving manuals, but they are an unholy bitch in morning and evening traffic.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't think so many auto's were sold over manuals, but then I thought about the entire run of F-bodies and that's probably quite accurate.

The Charger... well, they did break out the Challenger. A 2dr Charger though, would've been normal since that's what everyone thinks of when they think old Charger.

Shifting manually is no problem, but I'm with you on the frequency of pissed off drivers during rush hours daily. That's why I decided to go auto... in 1992. I was tired of shifting all the time. 3 on the tree, 4 on the floor... 5 spd... whatever. I got tired of it and OD auto's were commonly available, so I switched for personal use.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Automatics without a doubt will be more popular/have higher sales.

Look at the ZL1, which was originally going to be stick shift only. People demanded an automatic tranny option and GM listened. A mass majority of ZL1's are automatics.

I'm sure the same will go for the C7 Z06, which will also have an automatic option.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I didn't think so many auto's were sold over manuals, but then I thought about the entire run of F-bodies and that's probably quite accurate.

The Charger... well, they did break out the Challenger. A 2dr Charger though, would've been normal since that's what everyone thinks of when they think old Charger.

Shifting manually is no problem, but I'm with you on the frequency of pissed off drivers during rush hours daily. That's why I decided to go auto... in 1992. I was tired of shifting all the time. 3 on the tree, 4 on the floor... 5 spd... whatever. I got tired of it and OD auto's were commonly available, so I switched for personal use.
I remember Scot Settlemire throwing that 80% figure around.

That was kind of my point with Charger

2-door Challenger
2-door Charger
4-door Charger

I am sure the take rate would be dismal, and that was why it never happened.

I have driven my Camaro to work several times. Driving a cammed, twin disc clutch, 4.10 geared car in stop and go traffic is just not a ton of fun. Auto for a DD that sees that kind of use just makes life easier. Also if anyone else has to drive your car. Most of my freinds have no idea how to drive one, nor do they wish to learn.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

It is surprising how many people can't drive anything w/o an automatic.

Quick Reply: 2015 Chevy SS Will Offer Manual Trans