2015 Z06 8 speed auto tested.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 11:44 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2015 Z06 8 speed auto tested.

It is the real deal.

Nothing to see here. Just the shortest-stopping, most tenaciously gripping production car we've ever tested. Oh, it has a kind of powerful engine, too.
A line that includes a 650-hp thunder wagon with the sophistication and poise of the world’s best sports cars. There, we said it. The Z06 must be ranked among the world’s best. You know that we here at Car and Driver are not idle flatterers, our job being to find the faults for you in haste, before you have to live with them at leisure over 72 months of payments. However, the Z06 completely fulfills its mission to be a super Corvette. It is an accessible American fantasy intended to inject joy and fascination and, let’s face it, a healthy dose of awe into the driving experience, such that there’s not much left to shout about except details.

Details such as a 60-mph nuking of three seconds flat, set by a Z06 equipped with the Z07 Performance package and an automatic. This car tore the quarter-mile a new one at 11.1 seconds at 127 mph, scorched the skidpad with 1.19 g’s of grip, and stopped from 70 in an astonishing 128 feet, the latter two figures setting C/D records for a production car. We also tested a slightly less potent manual-trans Z06 [see bottom of page 2].

Please pause here for an important message about tires. If you’ve followed our preview coverage, you already know that there are now a lot of Z06s to choose from. There are coupe and convertible body styles. There are two transmissions, a seven-speed manual with automatic rev matching and an eight-speed automatic. And there are three trim levels, dozens of options, and three separate aero packages. Then there’s the mega Z07 Performance package that further weaponizes the car with carbon-ceramic brakes, a carbon-fiber aero package, a slightly revised suspension tune, and different tires. The Z07’s run-flat Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 summer almost-slicks replace the base run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sports and are, to borrow from Mark Twain, the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

Back to the test numbers: Um, holy crap. Riding a Z06 through the first four gears feels like putting a saddle on Superman, though the Z06 is 200 pounds heavier than the old ZR1. Obviously, there’s a squidge more power, but this is down to the race tires and the fact that today’s automatics are often faster than manuals in a straight line. We didn’t even use launch control, a simple flat-foot drop in full auto mode being all that was needed to produce these fireworks from the test equipment.

The Z06 we photographed was fully loaded with the Z07 package, Stage 3 carbon aero trim kit, and optional carbon-kablooey interior. As you can see, there’s a Z06 for, well, if not exactly everyone, then a wider swath of humanity’s more impatient dumdrivers, all of whom will be swamped by admirers at parties. Prepare for the eager smiles of your audience to droop slightly when you say you bought the automatic, as up to 70 percent of Z06 buyers are expected to do. This is a natural, instinctual disappointment, conditioned by the expectation that real sports cars have sticks, mounting evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.

We drove both the manual and the automatic Z06 and feel that the stick, with its notably soft and seamless clutch takeup, is still the best choice. Rev matching sounds like a hateful automation of the heel-and-toe skill until you get used to it. Then you wonder why all manuals don’t have it. Or just turn it off. Or use it to learn proper rev matching and then turn it off. Continued...

Highs:
A race car with a warranty, lots of layers to peel, a version for everyone.

Lows:
You'll bleed cash getting the best options, auto trans dims the fun slightly.

Verdict:
Runs with the best in the world.

PRICE AS TESTED: $97,595 (base price: $78,995)

ENGINE TYPE: supercharged and intercooled V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 376 cu in, 6162 cc
Power: 650 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 650 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 106.7 in
Length: 176.9 in
Width: 77.1 in Height: 48.6 in
Curb weight: 3558 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 3.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 6.8 sec
Zero to 160 mph: 22.9 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 3.2 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 1.7 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 2.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 11.1 sec @ 127 mph
Top speed (C/D est): 185 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 128 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 1.19 g

FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city/highway driving: 13/24 mpg

TEST NOTES: Launch control keeps cold-tire wheelspin to a minimum, but once the rubber is warm, the rears have the stick to take an aggressive stab of the throttle without any electronic assistance. Oddly, the trans upshifts short of redline in automatic, but this is quicker than shifting manually at redline.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:49 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

For comparison, here is the C6 Z06.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-z06-specs.pdf
Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

1.19 g’s
Martha Focker
Old 11-24-2014, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW! Suddenly I don't have any problem with the idea of buying a car with a supercharger installed...
Old 11-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-24-2014, 02:27 PM
TECH Addict

^^^
Old 11-24-2014, 07:40 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Full review. Suddenly, I don't have a problem with autos. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ll-test-review
Old 11-26-2014, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by LEO
Full review. Suddenly, I don't have a problem with autos. http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ll-test-review
Another review that suggests the manual though.

If you plan on drag racing, or needing those two extra tenths per lap, then fine, get the flappy paddles.

When these become available on the used market, mine with have 3 pedals.

Truly amazed by the reviews and the numbers. At least this car is putting up numbers it was claimed to do, unlike certain hello-kitty cars that can't seem to match their "certified" claims.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My house is going up for sale next week...
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Another review that suggests the manual though.

If you plan on drag racing, or needing those two extra tenths per lap, then fine, get the flappy paddles.

When these become available on the used market, mine with have 3 pedals.

Truly amazed by the reviews and the numbers. At least this car is putting up numbers it was claimed to do, unlike certain hello-kitty cars that can't seem to match their "certified" claims.
If I could afford one, mine would have 3 pedal as well.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LEO
If I could afford one, mine would have 3 pedal as well.
I'm not willing to pay sticker or close to it, just to have it lose 1/3 of it's value within 4 years. I will be patient, want to see if the mid-engine rumors are true, and go from there.

I chose my GS over a Cent ZR1 for purists reasons, but also financial reasons as I knew the C7 would cause C6 values (including ZR1) to fall. Once the C7 debuted, I was not upset with my decision at all - then again, I never was anyway, but it confirmed what I knew was coming.

I love new Corvettes, but I am not in a financial position to just throw away money at depreciation.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Auto's.....ftw

And I hate that. It means almost any bone head can jump in the car and look like a pro.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

That's cool. Happy for the people who like to drag race or can't drive a manual good/physically able. I want to get one but see no point in buying new. I'll wait an fine a used one a few years from now. Preferably stock, red, and must be a manual.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
And I hate that. It means almost any bone head can jump in the car and look like a pro.
Which is fairly anticlimatic in a car like the Z06. It's part of its nature to be manual-only and hardtop-only, there's a reason for which Porsche doesn't make a convertible GT3. I believe Jack Baruth wrote a good piece on that but I'm too lazy to go find it out right now.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by King's Z
Which is fairly anticlimatic in a car like the Z06. It's part of its nature to be manual-only and hardtop-only, there's a reason for which Porsche doesn't make a convertible GT3. I believe Jack Baruth wrote a good piece on that but I'm too lazy to go find it out right now.
So what's the reason the GT3 only comes in auto?
Old 11-30-2014, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

185mph top speed? Da fuq?
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeG
185mph top speed? Da fuq?
Downforce of the Z07 package. Base Z06 is likely higher but the car was built to handle, not out run the Mexican patrol at top speed.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw the pics of the car.... My boner has an erection...
Old 12-02-2014, 12:08 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by justin455
So what's the reason the GT3 only comes in auto?
The GT3 is a purely track-focused car, and (as much as I hate to say it) the PDK transmission (not an "auto," per say) is the best track-focused transmission that Porsche has.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The GT3 is a purely track-focused car, and (as much as I hate to say it) the PDK transmission (not an "auto," per say) is the best track-focused transmission that Porsche has.
Perhaps, but I suggest the reason is this, most buyers of street legal cars, track-focused or not, are not great heel & toe shifters, typically miss gears, and are hard on clutches. Basically, it is easier to warranty and setup a car with a trans that will never miss a gear, burn out a clutch, etc with the added bonus that making it shift faster and more consistent than a manual makes it "slightly" quicker around a track.

I won't ever claim to be a pro-driver of manuals, but I will not own a sports car without 3 pedals. It's just my preference for driving experience.

Quick Reply: 2015 Z06 8 speed auto tested.