Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

VW beats Caddy to the punch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VW beats Caddy to the punch?

Well if I spoke the proper language I could answer that, but it looks like they're going to trump their own V10 TDi Twargen with a 12 cylinder

Where is that Escalade-V?
Volkswagen Touareg | Volkswagen Touareg Individual met W12

Volkswagen Individual, de luxe tak van Volkswagen, gaat de Touareg bouwen met de W12 uit de Phaeton. Bovendien is de auto zowel in het interieur als aan de buitenkant iets anders dan de andere Touareg modellen.

Volkswagen Individual maakt van elke Volkswagen een bijzondere auto. Eerder al toonde Individual een speciale uitvoering van de Phaeton waarbij alles, maar dan ook bijna alles mogelijk is. Dat betekent speciale kleuren van de carrosserie, speciale leren bekleding en diverse andere wensen die je als klant kunt hebben. Nu komt er ook een Individual uitvoering van de Touareg. Deze zal afwijken van de andere Touareg modellen door z´n andere uitrusting aan de buitenkant en in het interieur. Zie bijvoorbeeld andere lichtmetalen wielen, een dubbele uitlaat aan beide kanten, verbrede wielkasten en meer chroom (foto´s wijken af van de definitieve Touareg W12) Het interieur wordt gekenmerkt door een combinatie van gewoon leer en nappaleer. Verder zijn er andere houtsoorten leverbaar en kun je, zoals gezegd, de auto aanpassen aan je eigen wensen.

Leverbaar met W12 uit de Phaeton
Een ander bijkomend iets is de levering van een W12 motor in de Touareg. Deze uit de Phaeton afkomstige W12, levert in de Touareg 30 pk meer vermogen. Het totale vermogen komt daarmee op 450 pk en dat moet garant staan voor leuke prestaties. In totaal worden er nog geen 450 stuks van gebouwd. Wil je dus een Touareg W12 bestellen, wees er snel bij! De prijzen zijn nog niet bekend.
bron: www.autowereld.com

I like it! Love the interior on that SUV with a ~450hp V12 it would be a hoot, I'm sure their "partners" at Porsche are rather pissed.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Still looks like crap.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:42 PM
11 Second Club

I'm sure it's a W12 which is an unproven engine, GM's response will be a true V12, tried and true. just a long LS1 block from my understanding. bored for 12 slugs instead of naturally.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

Actually I think you're wrong. Word had it that the Escalade-V would use a version of the DOHC Northstar based XV12 from the Cien Concept. At least that's the last I heard.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Bruddah is correct.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Still a proven setup, just not proven in the 12 version, which means it is not proven just less prone to teething errors.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW The VW W12 is a deriviation of the W8 which is a deriviation of the VR6, not to mention the W12 has been available in the Audi A8 for some time, so it's much more "proven" than the unreleased GM V12. now from a Performance stand-point, I've driven the V8 Touring-Egg and the damn thing handles very well, the Porsche Cayenne really shines through. While the Escalade is a Truer "truck" and a more legitiment SUV, I'll be dollars to doughnuts it won't be as dynamic as the Cayenne/Twargen.

The only other SUV that I would say it sportier is the Infiniti FX45 (based on the Nissan 350Z) Sadly that thing is just a little too funky looking for my tastes.
Old 06-10-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
FWIW The VW W12 is a deriviation of the W8 which is a deriviation of the VR6, not to mention the W12 has been available in the Audi A8 for some time, so it's much more "proven" than the unreleased GM V12. now from a Performance stand-point, I've driven the V8 Touring-Egg and the damn thing handles very well, the Porsche Cayenne really shines through. While the Escalade is a Truer "truck" and a more legitiment SUV, I'll be dollars to doughnuts it won't be as dynamic as the Cayenne/Twargen.

The only other SUV that I would say it sportier is the Infiniti FX45 (based on the Nissan 350Z) Sadly that thing is just a little too funky looking for my tastes.
hehehe. You gotta be one of the few people I've ever heard call the FX a little too funky. I'm reeeeally not into the whole sport ute craze, but I gotta say that in my eyes the FX is a beauty. Not to mention it puts the sport into sport ute. I like how FX cues were sort of applied and adopted to the Fuga/M45 concept in terms of the front fascia and headlights. I only wish they worked the FXs rear tailights onto the Fuga/M45. Am I the only one who thinks that the Fugas/M45s rear tailights are just too frickin big?
Old 06-10-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
hehehe. You gotta be one of the few people I've ever heard call the FX a little too funky. I'm reeeeally not into the whole sport ute craze, but I gotta say that in my eyes the FX is a beauty. Not to mention it puts the sport into sport ute. I like how FX cues were sort of applied and adopted to the Fuga/M45 concept in terms of the front fascia and headlights. I only wish they worked the FXs rear tailights onto the Fuga/M45. Am I the only one who thinks that the Fugas/M45s rear tailights are just too frickin big?
I absolutly LOVE the new Fuga/M45, I really hope they make a manual version. At any rate, I've never been big on SUVs until I bought a house. Now I'm really seeing how useful having one would be. My Problem with the FX is the passenger compartment and storage areas are fairly limited for a vehicle of it's size. The Tournado-Egg isn't that much better, but overall I feel the appointments are nicer. I do like the FX, but again the styling is just a little too far from norm for me... guess I'm rather conservative when it comes to SUVs

-Adam

Quick Reply: VW beats Caddy to the punch?