Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

;06 Mercedes-Benz W221 S-Class Info

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ;06 Mercedes-Benz W221 S-Class Info

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=02836480

Looks like Mercedes may be dropping the V12 iteration of the AMG S-Class and just keep the V8 AMG as the top dog. Well for now. Mercedes said it wouldn't build a V12 AMG of its current SL, CL and S Class ranges but we got 6.0L bi-turbo variants of all three, plus we are expected to get an AMG V12 variant of the upcoming CLS in the form of a CLS65. Perhaps its a good move. I've heard that the 737 lb.ft. of torque the 6.0L TT V12s make puts a beating on the driveline. So much so that they have to limit peak torque in 1st and 2nd gears. In any case, the design is a little bland. Similar to what I've seen for the upcoming C-Class in terms of a bit more edgy, but edgy and square looks better on the smaller C than the larger S IMO.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

I think the E, C, CLK & SL look much better than the CLS, S & CL.

Wow was that some Alphabet soup or what?

FWIW EVO is reporting the AMG V12 is indeed going to be back with even more power after a year hiatus on the new model. Also AMg will start to use an upgraded 7 speed auto, ditching their old 5-speed. Allways thought it was wierd that you had to give up the 6 and 7 speed trannies to get the AMG cars.....not that I ahve the kind of cash to afford an AMG car mind you, but I enjoy putting myself in the shoes of one that could.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:42 AM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

The front end looks like a Lexus wannabe. Very bland, and expensive!
Old 06-17-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rwb
The front end looks like a Lexus wannabe. Very bland, and expensive!
and with a 600hp twin turbo I can somehow get past that
Old 06-17-2004, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Well Merc just introed their 7G-Tronic 7 speed slushy not too long ago. The SLK55 AMG will pack this tranny so I'm guessing the next gen AMG S-Class will carry it as well.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

more photochop pics

Old 06-22-2004, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

The 2nd and 3rd pics look like rehashed CLS 4 doors coupes (yah 4 door coupe, Merc really created a niche here) with Maybach rear ends. Interesting interpretations.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

As sedans go, I like the lines fo the CLS, but I would be surprised if it affords the cabin space that S-Class buyers are used to, so I not sure why MB would use those same contours on the S. Not to mention I really can't see where they're going to put the CLS into their line-up and not have it go head to head with the S.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Well the CLS is based on the E Class, not the S and AFAIK rear space is bit less roomy than an E-Class but not too cramped as in a typical 2 door coupe. Honestly I don't know what genius decided to rename the car from CLE (which the car was called during the concept phase) to CLS. I don't see the CLS competing with the S except maybe in price. Honstly Merc kinda just went and made another niche for no apparent reason. The CLS is supposed to slot between the CLK and the CL. So basically in the coupe realm at MB you go from a C-Class based two door (CLK), to an E Class based 4 door (CLS), and back to a 2 door with the S-Class based CL.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Honestly the MB naming scheme makes no sense to me.

S Class - Top of the line Sedan
C Class - Bottom of the line Sedan
SL Class - Top of the line Vert
CL Class - Top of the line Coupe
CLK Class - Bottom of the line Coupe
SLK Class - Bottom of the line Vert

One would think it should go:

"S"edans
S
SL
SLK

"C"oupes
C
CL
CLK

...Crazy Germans....

OTOH a confusing naming scheme does help their marketing as it increases the value of the name "Mercedes". Folks with a C class just say they have a "Mercedes". Folks with a Corvette never say they have a "Chevrolet".

-Adam
Old 06-22-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

On another note at least it's not their naming isn't as screwy as motorcycles. for instance.

Honda came out with a "City Bike" and called it the CB750 (City Bike 750cc). They then made a racing bike and called it the CBR (City Bike Racing), but apprently that wasn't racy enough so then then come out with the CBR-RR line in 1,000 and 600 cc sizes. Which would be "City Bike Racing, Race Ready". I think my next Honda will be a RCBR-R1000RR-Rspec Type R.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:12 AM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Actually anything with a K in it would be top of that particular line, as K stands for kompressor (blower, turbo).
Old 06-22-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rwb
Actually anything with a K in it would be top of that particular line, as K stands for kompressor (blower, turbo).
Only the CLK doesn't have a blower motor as an option (though Lord knows the CLK55 deserves the 5.5 Blower motor for the price they want for it!)
Old 06-23-2004, 02:21 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rwb
No it doesn't.

I know for a fact that when the German words which SLK stand for are translated into English it becomes Sport Lightweight Compact. I believe CLK stands for Coupe Lightweight Compact although last I checked the CLK wasn't all too light at around 3600 lbs. The K at the end stands for compact in German. Kompressor is different altogether and is nowhere to be found in the name of the car. It is found after the numbers which denote engine displacement.

example:

C230 Kompressor in which C = C-Class, 230 = 1.8L 4 banger and Kompressor = supercharger. The reason Merc uses 230 to denote a 1.8L 4 banger is because the previous 4 did displace 2.3L but Merc thought people would think the car was downgraded if they saw a 180 instead of a 230 after they went to a smaller displacement 4. In actuality the 1.8L makes slightly less power (a few less hp and a couple of lb.ft. of torque but is supposedly much more refined than the old harsh 2.3L Kompressor 4).

And kompressor = supercharger only, not turbocharger. Mercedes fits biturbo badges under the V12 badges on their AMG S65, SL65 and CL65 models. I'm not sure if they fit biturbo badges on the S600, SL600 and CL600 models though. While they are also turbocharged, I believe they only get V12 badging.

Last edited by bruddah_man_matt; 06-23-2004 at 02:58 AM.

Quick Reply: ;06 Mercedes-Benz W221 S-Class Info