Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM's plan for the future

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default GM's plan for the future

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=49281

Here are some of the more interesting pieces of information: (sorry for any reposts)

BUICK
Flagship sedan: A new sedan developed on GM's rwd Zeta vehicle architecture is expected to debut for the 2007 model year.

Engineered by Holden Ltd. in Australia, the Zeta architecture will be used for premium vehicles, such as the next-generation Pontiac GTO. Buick's sedan will have V-6 and V-8 versions.

The Buick Velite is more than a concept, say GM insiders. A coupe version is expected for the 2008 model year.
Coupe, convertible: Derived from the four-seat Velite concept on the new rwd Zeta architecture, Buick's halo vehicle will appear in the 2008 model year.

A coupe will come first, and an open-roof version may follow.

Vehicles developed on Zeta will have a long wheelbase. For example, the Velite's wheelbase is 0.9 inches longer than a Park Avenue's, although the overall length of the car is 20.8 inches shorter.

CADILLAC

Flagship sedan: GM is considering a $100,000-plus, rwd sedan for later in the decade. Inspiration is expected to be drawn from the Sixteen concept that debuted at the 2003 Detroit auto show.

CHEVROLET

Rwd car: The timing is unclear, but a Chevrolet nameplate is expected on GM's rwd Zeta architecture.

Corvette: The restyled and re-engineered 2005 Corvette is being launched this summer; a convertible arrives this fall. A 6.0-liter V-8 engine producing 400 hp is standard. The Z06 model with a 7.0-liter, 500-hp V-8 and a fastback roofline is on tap for the 2006 model year.

SSR: Chevrolet answers criticism that the SSR lacks street-rod power by replacing the 5.3-liter V-8 in the 2004 model with a 6.0-liter V-8 for the 2005 model. Power is boosted to 390 hp, up 90 hp.

The SSR will offer an optional six-speed manual transmission; previously, only an automatic was offered.

PONTIAC

GTO: The GTO gets a new engine for the 2005 model year, the LS2 V-8 with 400 hp. The previous engine pumped out 350 hp. To the relief of traditionalists, an optional hood scoop will be among exterior design tweaks for 2005.

The next-generation GTO is slated to appear on the Zeta rwd architecture for the 2007 or 2008 model year.

SATURN

Roadster: Appearing in early 2006, a small rwd roadster will display the Saturn grille seen in the Curve concept at the 2004 Detroit auto show. But the 2007 model year car mostly will resemble the Vauxhall Lightning concept produced in England. GM cannot market the Lightning in Europe because of upcoming pedestrian safety regulations, so the vehicle is moving -- largely intact -- to Saturn. The car will be developed on GM's Kappa vehicle architecture.

Last edited by Drivn2Fast; 08-10-2004 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some good info, thanks.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

So the Solstice is going to get competition from a Saturn? Way to go GM, you really know how to slice up that pie to that point it isn't profitable anymore.....ugh.

FWIW though I do like the Vauxhall more than the solstice, but you will never see me in a saturn.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:53 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

CHEVROLET

Rwd car: The timing is unclear, but a Chevrolet nameplate is expected on GM's rwd Zeta architecture..
Can you say new Camaro....
Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

How come the GTO is listed under Chevrolet?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sunsetz28
How come the GTO is listed under Chevrolet?

My bad ... fixed
Old 08-10-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
I do like the Vauxhall more than the solstice, but you will never see me in a saturn.
They should simply import or assemble Vauxhalls/Opels here as Saturns with only badge changes and left-hand drive. That would go a very long way to buoy that brand, especially as an import fighter.

This is also the first I've heard of Saturn getting a similar roadster to the Solstice. The plan always seemed to be crafting different small cars from it's guts, not rebadging it.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

this is what the original concept for the Solstice based Saturn roadster

I always liked the vauxhaul concept better so i think this is great news.

here's some more views of the Vauxhall

Dave

Quick Reply: GM's plan for the future