Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Cadillac..the 5-second Superbowl Ad

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cadillac..the 5-second Superbowl Ad

This looks pretty cool, look for 5-second micro-ads by Cadillac.

from:http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...d_x.htm?csp=34
Cadillac campaign based on need for speed By Theresa Howard, USA TODAY
NEW YORK — Cadillac is about to bet big-time that in five seconds, it can convince consumers of one unlikely selling point: Its cars are darned fast.

Cadillac plans 5-second commercials showing cars' speed
The General Motors division on Monday will announce plans to broadcast a series of five-second TV spots that show vehicles from its new lineup accelerating from zero to 60 miles per hour. An off-camera announcer will remark: "How fast? That fast!"

While speed isn't new to automotive advertising, it's a new wrinkle for Cadillac, which is working overtime to embrace a younger audience. The ads will begin to air during the National Football League playoffs on Jan. 15 and continue into the Super Bowl on Feb. 6. They also will air during the Academy Awards on Feb. 27.

Five-second ads are somewhat of a novelty.

While sponsors have used them before — particularly during broadcasts such as football bowl games — they're usually static shots of product logos with a voice-over uttering a company slogan.

These Cadillac ads will be anything but static.

The purpose of the lightning-fast ads: to demonstrate the quickness of the new vehicles — "V" versions of the XLR and STS revved with higher horsepower and V-8 engines, says Jay Spenchian, marketing director for Cadillac.

"The whole idea is to attract the attention of those who hadn't considered Cadillac until this point," Spenchian says. "This is a dramatic way of getting their attention."

But critics say that speed doesn't just sell — it also can kill.

"They are speed demons," says Joan Claybrook, president of Public Citizen, one of seven groups that in the fall pushed General Motors to pull a Corvette ad that showed a boy joy riding in New York City. "These companies think they have to advertise speed to sell vehicles. Middle-aged people don't need it, and younger people can't afford these cars," she says.

Advertising experts say five seconds is a very short sales window, even to the MTV generation.

"It's such a short time that if you don't have a name and brand, it could go over people's heads or they could just miss it," says media buyer Andy Donchin, director of national broadcast for buying agency Carat. "Cadillac does have those two things, so it could work for them."

General Motors, which spent $2.4 billion on ads in 2003, is spending 20% of Cadillac's annual marketing budget to roll out the souped-up vehicles, in dealerships this fall. Just one five-second spot during the football playoffs could fetch about $133,000.

But GM expects to get its money's worth. Its new vehicles aren't cheap. The CTS-V is already out with a base sticker price of $49,995.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM trying legal subliminal messaging?

BTW, the person who you quoted in bold must not be married, or has never opened up a book about men with mid-life crisis. I mean, the condition of mid-life crisis is a one only 80 year men with PHD's in psycology know
Old 01-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You forgot to add fat. She is showing the typical fat aggression syndrome all fat women exibit.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

So that's one of the bitches that got Guy Ritchies awesome Jumpin Jack Flash C6 ad pulled. To bad she's so much of a n00b when it comes to teaching her own stupid children the difference between fantasy and reality that those of us who truly enjoy cars don't get to enjoy what was truly a remarkable ad from GM in quite a long time. I ought to shove a copy of San Andreas up her fat ***.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:25 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice commercial idea.....I look forward to seeing it before the speed police get it yanked. From the pic above, it looks like the car is racing by trees. Will that upset the tree huggers too? I mean that might snap a tree limb or blow off some leaves...
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Nice commercial idea.....I look forward to seeing it before the speed police get it yanked. From the pic above, it looks like the car is racing by trees. Will that upset the tree huggers too? I mean that might snap a tree limb or blow off some leaves...
PETA will somehow get involved as well...
Old 01-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Teching In

don't forget Green Peace
Old 01-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

Yeah, thousands of little fuzzy bunnies are killed every year by speeding cadillacs. God help us all.

Did you guys hear about the SSR commercial that got pulled too? It was of an SSR retracting the top with these two little kids watching with their parents. The one kid says "HOLY SH" and before he can get it out it changes to the next scene where he is getting his mouth washed out with soap. It's flippin hilarious.

If i find it ill post it.

Nate
Old 01-22-2005, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

I've liked the new GM marketing, especially the Caddilac brand.

As for the bitch above against the comercials, she must be living in a closet. Middle aged people don't need it?! I know plenty of middle aged people that love quick cars, especially 400hp grocery getters. I think they will also appeal to the middle aged BMW crowd (everytime I see a BMW Commercial they are showing off speed or ripping through the snow sideways). Not all middled aged people are as boring as her crowd is.

As for the young people comment, she needs to wake up. There are plenty of "kids" under the age of 28 pulling in some serious money (probrably alot more than she makes). I think Caddilac is headed in the right direction marketing to younger people too. I can guarantee once my Camaro and Silverado are paid off, Caddilac will get a serious look from me.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SMOKE!

(those of you who watch family guy will know what i'm talking about)
Old 02-09-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by P Mack
SMOKE!

(those of you who watch family guy will know what i'm talking about)

Baby smokes alot
Old 02-09-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red Shift
Baby smokes alot
Are you SMOKING yet
Old 02-09-2005, 06:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Cool ad but pretty one dimensional.

Considering the Vs are made for more than just speed, it's a shame they didn't come up with any ads showing off their world-classh handling.

Quick Reply: Cadillac..the 5-second Superbowl Ad