Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Exxon/Mobil

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exxon/Mobil

Did you know Exxon/Mobil announced it's record earnings for the 3rd quarter of 2005? They profitted 10 billion dollars in one quarter. This is the biggest profit any company has ever made in the world. What can we do to lower our gas prices? Some people say don't buy gas on certain days but that hasn't done anything. What can we do to lower our gas prices? Any feedback, or comments are welcome.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What can we do to lower gas prices, stop buying so much, constant (or lower) supply plus rising demand = high price
constant supply plus lower demand= lower price
Just what happened during the oil bust of the 80's & early 90's remember when oil was $10/barrel, that's why lower demand steady supply, price dropped
Still pisses me off that the oil companies (all of them) are posting such record profits, all the while claiming they were just raising prices to cover increasing costs, sounds like pure 100% BULLSHIT to me
Seriously thinking about a diesel car, powered by bio diesel fuel, for a DD, a bit of effort needed, but to get the base fuel for free, and spend a little to refine it, you can not only power a diesel engine, but can use it for heating your house, or making your own electricity by powering a diesel generator, you then get to say F*CK YOU to not only the oil companies, but the electric and gas utilities as well.
Cost about 55 cents/gallon
Old 10-28-2005, 08:12 AM
7 Second Club

Exxon/Mobil has done a great job for their shareholders.Oil companies sell billions of gallons of gas every quarter,they make money off TREMENDOUS volume.If you sell 400 billion gallons of anything does a 10 billion dollar profit sound unreasonable..........it doesn't to me.

E/M also stated the bulk of their profits were generated outside of the USA.Profits will always be up when gas is expensive.A 8% margin on a $3.00 gallon of gas is 50% more than a $2.00 gallon of gas.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

There really isnt much that we can do to control gas prices. We all need gas and will continue to buy gas. Its a necessity. We may limit our driving habits, like driving to the same grocery store three times in one day etc.
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

I wish I had bought some Exxon/Mobil when they merged in 1999/2000.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

yay, maybe we bought a shiek another new gold plated rolls royce to add to his collection
Old 10-28-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Roofer Dave
Exxon/Mobil has done a great job for their shareholders.Oil companies sell billions of gallons of gas every quarter,they make money off TREMENDOUS volume.If you sell 400 billion gallons of anything does a 10 billion dollar profit sound unreasonable..........it doesn't to me.

E/M also stated the bulk of their profits were generated outside of the USA.Profits will always be up when gas is expensive.A 8% margin on a $3.00 gallon of gas is 50% more than a $2.00 gallon of gas.
You hit it right also I think that they "overestimated" supply problems with war/hurricanes/economy in general and made nice profit off of that.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris95Z
You hit it right also I think that they "overestimated" supply problems with war/hurricanes/economy in general and made nice profit off of that.
EXACTLY. Raising prices to cover their increased cost is one thing. If this were the case the profits would be approximatly the same as before for them.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well,the rise in popularity of gas guzzling SUV's havent helped supply & demand for sure.The Government is the only one that can put a stop to these crazy fuel prices.IMO.And they are not going to do that.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Launching!

I was talking to some guy thats big into politics and he told me that if you want to help lower gas prices stop buying gas from Exxon Mobil stations because Bush and cheney are in with them and their huge earnings i think supports this idea.This could be a bunch of bullshit too i dont know..im not saying i believe it it's just what he told me. i believe that if Bush and the gov't really wanted to lower prices they could but they dont want to obviously hes from Texas why would he if they are making so much money. The bottom line is we are using so much of it. If we didnt use so much of it they would be forced to lower gas prices. Its clear to me we are getting screwed over on this gas situation. Just the threat of a Hurricane the prices go up, no damage has to be done to the refineries and its goin up. Thats a bunch of crap if youd ask me. But noy much I can do about it. I still gotta get to work everyday and that means using gas.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Don't know what will come of it but the U.S. Senate is going to begin hearings on the oil and gasoline supply and pricing situation. They have or will call several senior oil company executives to testify before their committee.

My issue with these guys is that they raise prices immediately whenever prices rise on the market BUT they still have a stock of oil that they bought at lower prices so they have an immediate windfall profit off of their current stock.

Then when oil prices begin to decline, they say that can't pass the decline on immedately because they still have oil that they bought at a higher price and they need to recover their costs before they will begin buying the cheaper oil.

We're shafted on the way up and shafted on the way down.

One huge advantage for gasoline pricing would be if the government got rid of all of the local gasoline regulations and standardized on one national blend. Right now, refineries have to make some 50 different blends of gasoline for different areas of the countries; i.e. they have Chicago gas and LA gas and Denver gas, etc.... How stupid is that? If they are out of Chicago gas but have plenty of LA gas, well that's just tough for Chicago since they can't use LA gas.

My .02
Old 10-28-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody is going to stop buying gas, all those "don't buy this brand or on this day" things are just laughable.
Also laughable is pointing the finger at Bush, he can't do much. However, his energy bill should help (more refineries, less formulas). Would've helped alot of the last doofus in that position would've passed a smiliar bill 10 years ago when we really needed it. No we didn't need it then, but it would've taken until recently for all the refineries to get built and legal mumbo-jumbo to get sorted out.
All the greedy oil companies are to blame.... not just Exxon.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by abadss
yay, maybe we bought a shiek another new gold plated rolls royce to add to his collection
That's funny. I hope it's armored.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 10 Billion dollar profit is robbery, its disgusting there should be some kind of profit ceiling for the oil companies its just price gouging at the refineries instead of the gas stations why is that ok ?
Old 10-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Launching!

i thought the tax break that bush gave the oil companies was suppose to help lower gas prices. Looks to me like it didnt do that at all but gave the oil companies their nice profit...or maybe that was the whole point of it....these big oil companies have us wrapped around the *****...we have no choice but to pay these high prices no matter how much profit they are making. It sucks and it sucks even worse that that government dont give a **** bout it.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Luna
A 10 Billion dollar profit is robbery, its disgusting there should be some kind of profit ceiling for the oil companies its just price gouging at the refineries instead of the gas stations why is that ok ?
How is it robbery? They made $10 billion on $42.3 billion in sales. Their profit margin was 23%. So on a $2.39 gallon of gas it cost the $1.84 to bring to market. They only made $1.7 billion in the US, the rest was overseas, and a restructuring of investments. I looked it up last week for the same crying on a different board. The run up was due to speculation in the oil market because of the percieved supply shortages.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
percieved supply shortages.

Which all of the oil companies have done a very nice job of staying quiet, or even instigating further so as to raise prices.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I think we indirectly did this to are selves,we move everything to China they become richer and now the people can buy cars.Whats over there now a billion plus people,more and more using oil for products and vehicles.Americans will forget the $3.+gallon gas before to long buy more gas guzzling cars and bitch and moan when we get kicked in the ***** again with high prices.Oh well I will keep my TA and 2 suvs and be part of that group,cause damn it I am an American.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RDISADEIFAN
I think we indirectly did this to are selves,we move everything to China they become richer and now the people can buy cars.Whats over there now a billion plus people,more and more using oil for products and vehicles.Americans will forget the $3.+gallon gas before to long buy more gas guzzling cars and bitch and moan when we get kicked in the ***** again with high prices.Oh well I will keep my TA and 2 suvs and be part of that group,cause damn it I am an American.

Actually, if you wanted to look at it that way, China did it to us by slowly opening their market and allowing trade with us. Its only natural that companies would move over there given the HUGE savings in labor and reduced safety requirements. Moral? Hell no, the american companies are ******* america by doing it, and eventually noone will make enough money to buy their products. But not doing it will put you out of business as the competition beats you on price by long shots time and again. Rock and a hard place

Now india and the IT jobs going there? That is 100% our fault. We built the infrastructure of the internet/phone network over there that allows them to work seamlessly from there vs over here in the late 90's. They had engineers just sitting around rotting without jobs everywhere DIEING to get to america where they could make a good living. Now that there are jobs everywhere there, they've zero reason to come here and can instead live well off in their country. So not only are we losing the highly skilled development work here in america, we are moving IT support jobs over there too. Call this double penetration to ourselves if you will. All the while, the indians get richer and continue to use more gas.

Ever heard of the term "Race to the bottom"?

Further more: the attitude you seem to have(as do many americans) of invincibleness and deservingness isnt helping
Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

We'd really have to look at reports to see where they say they were deriving income from.. which sectors. I perceive gouging but can honestly say I have done zero research.

Quick Reply: Exxon/Mobil