Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Dale JR. leaving DEI!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dale JR. leaving DEI!

MOORESVILLE, N.C. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. will leave the company founded by his late father at the end of the year in a shakeup certain to ignite a bidding war for NASCAR's most popular driver.

He told Dale Earnhardt Inc. on Thursday that he had decided to make the switch to another team when his contract expires (watch video).

Earnhardt Jr. leaving DEI at end of season
In a news conference at his JR Motorsports race shop on Thursday, Dale Earnhardt Jr. announced he will leave DEI at the end of this season.

Running commentary
Post your thoughts
DEI, Budweiser reactions
"We worked really hard, but we were never close," Earnhardt said of negotiations with DEI. "I am a little sad, but I am trying to remind myself to be excited about what's ahead."

Earnhardt had asked for 51 percent ownership of the team now run by his stepmother, Teresa. Negotiations on a contract extension began before the season and have been tense all along. Earnhardt's sister, Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, had set a deadline to get the deal done by the end of the month.

"I'm sad that I have to leave some employees that I got close to, leave some relationships," Earnhardt said. "We're going to finish this year out, and I told my guys we're going to run hard. I don't want any excuses for us not giving our best effort. I plan on giving everything I've got like I always do, and hopefully that's what I'll get in return."

Three-time Cup champion Darrell Waltrip, one of Dale Earnhardt's friendly rivals, traveled from Nashville at Earnhardt's request to join him for Thursday's announcement.

"This was incredibly difficult, a lot of emotion and the hardest thing he's had to deal with up until now," Waltrip said of Earnhardt's decision to leave DEI. "This is a big deal."

Now, Earnhardt must decide which team is the best fit for him.

"I've always thought RCR just because of the Childress-Earnhardt relationship," said Waltrip of Richard Childress Racing, where the elder Earnhardt won six of his seven championships. "I have personally have always thought the racing world would be right if Dale Earnhardt Jr. drove the black No. 3 car."

Earnhardt has made it clear he wants to be in a Chevrolet next season, but that loyalty could limit his options.

It's also possible that Earnhardt will field his own Nextel Cup team from JR Motorsports, where he runs a Busch Series program and several Late Model cars out of a brand-new shop in Mooresville. Earnhardt scheduled his news conference at that facility.

Page 1
Page 2
Although he said at last month's grand opening that he'd like to eventually expand JRM into the Cup Series, his sister was taken aback by the remarks. Elledge, who runs JRM and has handled his contract negotiations, later said the duo had no immediate plans for expansion.

At a sponsor appearance Wednesday night, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reported Earnhardt told fans his priority as a team owner is promoting young drivers and mechanics.

"I don't want the company to get too big," he said. "I've got about 70 employees now, and I don't want to get too many more."

There are three Chevrolet teams better than DEI, but Hendrick Motorsports has no room in its stable for Earnhardt.

Hendrick, winner of seven of the past eight Cup races, is already maxed out with four teams but could assist Earnhardt by leasing him engines. Hendrick already leases motors to Ginn Racing and Haas-CNC Racing, and Earnhardt recently got to feel their horsepower when he jumped into Kyle Busch's car during a race last month.

Richard Childress Racing always has been considered the most logical place for Junior to go. Childress and Dale Earnhardt were extremely close, and Junior has maintained a relationship with the car owner.

RCR, which owns the No. 3 should Junior ever want to drive it, can add him as the fourth and final team NASCAR permits each owner. It would team him with Kevin Harvick, who replaced the elder Earnhardt following his 2001 death, and has openly invited Junior to join the organization.

It's also possible that RCR would lease JR Motorsports its engines should Earnhardt field his own team. RCR already gives JRM its motors.

The wildcard could be Joe Gibbs Racing, another powerful three-car Chevy team that would pair him with buddies Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin. Earnhardt and Stewart have worked wonderfully together on restrictor-plate tracks, and Earnhardt befriended Hamlin early in his career.

Gibbs is coach of the Washington Redskins, and Earnhardt is die-hard fan. He wore a Redskins cap backward Monday during a test session at Lowe's Motor Speedway, where he expressed frustration over the NASCAR-mandated Car of Tomorrow and admitted DEI can't keep up with Hendrick's COT program.

Earnhardt and Elledge have been adamant their only goal is to help Junior win Cup championships, something he's been unable to do at DEI. He hasn't been a legitimate title contender since 2004. In 2005, he had a horrendous season when Teresa Earnhardt split up his crew, and he failed to make the Chase for the championship.

He rebounded last year by making the Chase, but was never a threat for the title.

http://www.nascar.com/2007/news/head...gle.html#page2

Although im not a big Earnhardt fan I hope he goes to RCR and they bring back No.3.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

That would be pretty cool to see him go over to RCR and use the 3 car. But you'll have many people putting up there with his father and giving high expectations. But it would be great to see him win a nextel championship in the black 3.
-Joel
Old 05-13-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure how I'd feel about him running the 3 car, I'm not sure how he would feel running it...

I think Bud is moving with him.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

i hope dei falls on there back theresa should be bitched slapped u cant let a woman run a race team
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think its shitty what she's doing to him.

But, Jr. in the Black 3 would be too cool. I think he'd earn ALOT of respect for it. He's not up on that level yet, but give him 2 years at RCR, and he'll be ready.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MARKSZ71
i hope dei falls on there back theresa should be bitched slapped u cant let a woman run a race team
So...you think that Jr. should ditch Kelley?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if he changes numbers, will it be like that commercial where he changes from the 8 to something else?
hedges chopped, tattoos altered....ect...?

Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
if he changes numbers, will it be like that commercial where he changes from the 8 to something else?
hedges chopped, tattoos altered....ect...?

HAHA...

What did they change it too...5.6 or something?

At any rate...I'd bet the farm on Budwiser remaining with him as a sponsor, I'd bet the farm on the No. 8 being his number.

At this time, I still think he'll either be racing for RCR or Joe Gibbs Racing.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

The 8 car will remain at DEI, as car numbers stay with the team 99.9% of the time.

Dale Jr will either end up starting up Nextel Cup cars for his own racing team (JR Motorsports) or he'll end up at RCR. Either way, Budweiser will follow him.

RCR #33 perhaps?
Jr has said himself he wouldn't be comfortable driving #3. At least not yet.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
The 8 car will remain at DEI, as car numbers stay with the team 99.9% of the time.

Dale Jr will either end up starting up Nextel Cup cars for his own racing team (JR Motorsports) or he'll end up at RCR. Either way, Budweiser will follow him.

RCR #33 perhaps?
Jr has said himself he wouldn't be comfortable driving #3. At least not yet.
I understand that...but I heard Waltrip last night say that NASCAR gets to assign the car numbers. Just because a team owner buys a right to it, doesn't mean that they will get to keep it nessecarily. Just like NASCAR used to have a rule that you have to run the number every so many years or forfeit the number (they made the 3 exception though).

Money talks and Bullshit walks. If there is enough coin tossed towards DEI, the number will go with Jr.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a possible drive @ Gibbs. Well noted is the relationship between Jr. and Stewart, as well as Hamlin, as well as the team owner himself.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
I understand that...but I heard Waltrip last night say that NASCAR gets to assign the car numbers. Just because a team owner buys a right to it, doesn't mean that they will get to keep it nessecarily. Just like NASCAR used to have a rule that you have to run the number every so many years or forfeit the number (they made the 3 exception though).

Money talks and Bullshit walks. If there is enough coin tossed towards DEI, the number will go with Jr.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a possible drive @ Gibbs. Well noted is the relationship between Jr. and Stewart, as well as Hamlin, as well as the team owner himself.
I would love to see him go with Gibbs. Jr and Tony have a don't dive a damn - tell it like it is mentality that is refreshing.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
12 Second Club

i would love more then any thing to see JR in the black #3 but i dont know if that is going to happen so considering it is in bud's best intrest to stay with JR . so if he doesnt end up at RCR then you can almost bet money that he will be at GIBBS with stewart and oh what a force that would be ....im hopeing the #8 goes with JR though it just wouldnt be right if he didnt get #3 or #8
Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Ranked in order of possibility...

1. RCR
2. JR Motorsports
3. Gibbs

Just IMO of course, because any of the three is realistic.

I would, however, bet the farm on Budweiser following Dale Jr.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

I really don't see DEI lasting very long without him. It's a company built on him and his father, nothing else.

I'd like to see him drive for JR Motorsports, then when DEI goes out of business, maybe changing the name of JR to DEI.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002BlackSS
I really don't see DEI lasting very long without him. It's a company built on him and his father, nothing else.

I'd like to see him drive for JR Motorsports, then when DEI goes out of business, maybe changing the name of JR to DEI.
now that is a sneaky and very smart idea
Old 05-16-2007, 12:38 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

There is a reason his father did so well to own / manage a team he didn't actually race for. Also note the majority of issues that MOST drivers have when they try to own a Cup team at the same time they drive for that cup team.

I still bet the farm its RCR and Gibbs followed by JR motorsports a distant third and someone like Ginn racing 4th.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Launching!

time to make it a black car with the budweiser select them lol

Quick Reply: Dale JR. leaving DEI!