Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Ported LS7 Throttle body Kicks @ss for V2 !

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported LS7 Throttle body Kicks @ss for V2 !

Here's the breakdown. I had an ls2 tb laying around in the garage ( w4me's ) I've used it once before and it was pretty decent but kind of sparatic in performance, and now after seeing the LS7 tb you can tell the ls2 tb just isnt made to work as well for our V's. Sometimes at throttle it would go and sometimes it was eh. Not too mention I wasn't to fond of the throttle blade opening up reverse from stock. Nevertheless I was going to try it again and I hit up ebay to get porting on it done. Went with Jentzer porting. Instead of getting an ported ls2 tb ( using mine as a core exchange ) I received an ported LS7 TB. The LS7 TB is basically a slightly bigger, more flowing, more robust, and has a stronger motor than the LS2 Tb. I slapped that baby onto my kpe intake ( fits nice and snug ) clearance is tight by the pulley by about 2-3 mm but nothing thats an issue. WOW, totally changes the vehicle. I have no tune so next stop is the dyno but the response is instant. And i'm talking about in 90 degree heat today. I only put on about 60 miles with the new tb on so I can only presume things will get better over the next 100 or so as the ecu adjusts. I have a stickshift so there were ALOT more additional perks with this tb. So many i'll just have to break it down like this...

1. I can creep in 1st gear w/ no gas smooth like butter, with the oem it was really rough and jumpy. Now 1st and 2nd gear creeping is identical.

2. I can actually hit 2psi during acceleration. If you notice with the oem either you hit like 6psi or full out. Very hard to modulate boost pressure.

3. Instant pickup, I"m talking about almost 0 lag. No more hitting the gas and than waiting to move ( see above 2psi )

4. ( stickshift ) rev matching is ALOT smoother and 1st gear takeoff's are smooth also.

Anyhow here are the pictures.....

Here she is, a nice big ported Ls7 tb,

Here is the stock (left) and ls2 (right) tb, notice how the blades open up in
the opposite way ( not a big deal if tb goes straight in but ours goes in at an angle and seems to affect the flow angles ) Notice how much rougher the ls2 is also. Not as smoothly cleaned.

Now compare how much more similar our oem tb is to the ls7...

Here is an underside comparison of all three...oem,ls2,ls7

Clearance on the ls7 tb and pulley belt...

..and 3.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome info for when us V1 guys move up to V2's! Thanks for the leg work, Im sure many will be greatful.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

^ no prob. Tomorrow is the true test when I take it to the dyno and compare it to my baseline dyno with just a drop in K&N filter vs. this ported ls7 tb & kpe cai combo.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

2009 V , manual transmission, 18k miles, KPE Cai, LS7 Ported throttle body by Jentzer porting, pulled out front duct

Folks thats 28hp + ! , torque did drop down a little but thats due to a/f. BUT look at how smoothly across the torque runs. With a tune to level out
the a/f in the lower power band I should be at around 520hp/tq if not more ! Not only that but its visible to me that the V looooooves this tb/cai setup.

Here is a full stack comparison of all the dynos. I have them only in B&W right now but will have them all in color monday...

This mod was worth every penny.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 AM
Teching In

I realize I'm digging up an old thread here, but is this still considered a good idea...the ported LS7 TB?

I just picked up a new 2011 CTS-V sedan and I'm looking for the best solutions...

Joe
Old 12-27-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im sure its stilla good idea, Nick Williams also makes 102mm electronic throttle bodies as well.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Teching In

I assume the stock computer can't make up for the change to even the ported ls7, much less a 102, on it's own....what specifically is required to be changed with something like hptuners to make the computer happy?

Is the "ticket" to swap the intake with a cold air intake from someone (who?) and swap to a larger TB and program for it, or do you have to change out the air meter or anything else?

Joe
Old 12-27-2010, 01:06 AM
Teching In

I assume this is what you are talking about:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...le-bodies.html

Is this worth the $250 additional over a ported LS7 unit? Are there any back to back tests that show one way or the other?

Joe
Old 12-27-2010, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Katech tested the Fast 102 with a stock LS7 TB Vs a Fast 102 with that 102 TB on the LS7 engine. They were identical until over 6,000 rpm, than the 102 pulled away by up to 5 rwhp.

That really doesn't say what this would do for our lower reving supercharged engine, but it shows how well the LS7 TB flows.

BTW: RAZORECKO, I guess you are comparing run 1/2 to run 4 for that gain. Why was run three 16 rwhp down from 4?

Last edited by good2go; 12-27-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Intake limitations are obviously being forcefully overcome by the boost, so personally I would guess the difference to be very very small between the ported ls7 and the larger unit. My goal is to spend the "smart money" once and do it corrected the 1st time...

No bigger MAF, you just program around it, or ?

Joe
Old 12-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by good2go
That really doesn't say what this would do for our lower reving supercharged engine, but it shows how well the LS7 TB flows.
The airflow needed will be pretty directly proportional to horsepower, not rpm, displacement, forced induction, etc. I like the comments about the improved response. For LS6 V1 folks, does the LS2 TB offer similar gains? Can I run the LS7 TB? I feel like my throttle response could be sharper. I know I'd need to do something with the intake.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevm14
The airflow needed will be pretty directly proportional to horsepower, not rpm, displacement, forced induction, etc. I like the comments about the improved response. For LS6 V1 folks, does the LS2 TB offer similar gains? Can I run the LS7 TB? I feel like my throttle response could be sharper. I know I'd need to do something with the intake.
Gonna be hard to tell because an LS2 TB doesnt bolt up to an LS6 intake(3 bolt vs 4bolt). So if they are switching to an LS2 they are swapping manifolds or snouts(TPIS).
Old 12-28-2010, 07:31 AM
11 Second Club

Was it stock before you had the TB, then you added the TB and a tune? or was it tuned before?

just curious.

Sharp looking. I like mine too but it's not port n polished.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Razorecko
2009 V , manual transmission, 18k miles, KPE Cai, LS7 Ported throttle body by Jentzer porting, pulled out front duct

Folks thats 28hp + ! , torque did drop down a little but thats due to a/f. BUT look at how smoothly across the torque runs. With a tune to level out
the a/f in the lower power band I should be at around 520hp/tq if not more ! Not only that but its visible to me that the V looooooves this tb/cai setup.

Here is a full stack comparison of all the dynos. I have them only in B&W right now but will have them all in color monday...

This mod was worth every penny.
So it put down 517 rwhp with just a intake , ported TB , & tune. Damn that's nutz. What are your plans for future mods?

Quick Reply: Ported LS7 Throttle body Kicks @ss for V2 !