Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anyone tried sound proofing around diff (to cover whine)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone tried sound proofing around diff (to cover whine)

Just curious ... has anybody tried some dynamat or something similar to sound proof around the differential and stop the whine from reaching inside the car? Mine's not very loud (unless the back seats are folded down), but I'd like to cover it up if I can. Is there room to get some sound proofing around there?
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't put sound proofing on the diff itself, unless you want it to overheat and whine more (until is fails). You can put insulation under the rear seats for additional noise suppression. I'm sure you can put it under the body too, but thats a lot of work for not much benefit.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

I wasn't talking about puttin it ON the diff. LOL I meant either on the underbody around the diff, or elsewhere. Does the diff sit right under the rear seat? Maybe some dynamat under there would be easier and just as effective...
Old 08-21-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

...but if you have whine, its a problem. Yes most of us have it, but I'd rather know the whine is there so I know how bad it is.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

I'm not here to debate whether a whine = a problem, but I'm going to say this. I drove a mustang that HOWLED on the coast side after a 3.73 Richmond gear was put in it. I drove it for many, many miles and never had a problem. Whenever I had the cover off the diff to change fluid, etc I inspected the internals. Never any sign of abnormal wear or any other issues. Sometimes differentials just whine. It doesn't mean it's going to blow up, nor does it necessarily mean it's going to fail prematurely either. I've been around this V community for long enough to learn that some people out there are very inclined to be "the sky is falling" type with these cars. Yes, they certainly have rear end issues. Yes, every single differential should be nice and quiet, and many are not. But I don't think the correlation between a whine and catastrophic failure is all that strong. Some whine and fail. Some whine and never fail. Some never whine but still fail. It's a crap shoot with these cars I guess.

Anyway... back to the topic. Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was think of doing the same thing.
I'm going to pull the trunk carpet and add some dynamat and the same with the transmission tunnel one day.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I did the whole trunk. Didn't help much.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Twitch1
I did the whole trunk. Didn't help much.
The diff isn't under the trunk area though, is it? I would think it's more under the rear seat ...
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 AM
On The Tree

I did the whole trunk, under the rear seat, rear deck and still whines. I've thought about doing some of the underbody too though. The best thing I've done for whine is throw in heavier Amsoil diff fluid.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4doorvetteLV
I did the whole trunk, under the rear seat, rear deck and still whines. I've thought about doing some of the underbody too though. The best thing I've done for whine is throw in heavier Amsoil diff fluid.
Really?? Damnit!! That's not what I wanted to hear, but at least I didn't waste my time and money to find that out for myself. Thanks for the heads up 4door!
Old 08-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Talking

There's a **** on the dash to eliminate the whine and tire noise... it has many functions including a six disk changer, XM, AM/FM and of course... DVD (only when not moving).
Old 08-22-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by detaillls
There's a **** on the dash to eliminate the whine and tire noise... it has many functions including a six disk changer, XM, AM/FM and of course... DVD (only when not moving).
Interesting. Where can I found this knod?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:28 AM
On The Tree

Oh and dont get the BMR pinion support brace . It ultra-amplifies the whine.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

I placed Hushmat (similar to Dynamat) in the "flimsy" areas under the rear seat and trunk and it made no difference. I have been thinking about doing the entire area but I really doubt that the Hushmat/Dynamat would dampen this kind of sound.

My diff only whines when it's got some heat in it. Otherwise it is wisper quiet until the case reaches ~130*F or more. The exhaust preheats the diff rather quickly so I insulated the pipes in that area with DEi Heat Shield. It has helped a lot but once I go on a ~long trip the friction in the gear set will heat it up and eventually it will whine. With the insulation it takes a little longer for the heat to build up. I may be installing a diff oil cooler.

Oh, two gear oil changes with 75W-90 and 75W-140 made no difference whatsoever in my case.

Chrysler and Ford hang a weight off the pinion area of their differentials to dampen resonance. I wonder if this is a worth while approach?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default noise

turn up the cd....

Quick Reply: Anyone tried sound proofing around diff (to cover whine)