Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

A Little new to the CTS-V scene, Few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Little new to the CTS-V scene, Few questions?

Hello guys,

I have a few questions that i did a search for and didn't see much help.

At what point does the rear end start becoming a problem when adding power? All I really plan on doing is intake, cat-back, and maybe down the road, some headers. I don't plan to do much to the engine beyond that. Will I need to worry about the rear end with those mods? If so, does the BMR pinion support help this situation?

Also, when it comes to cat-backs, what is the trusted brand? Borla, Corsa, or Magnaflow?

Thanks for the help guys and please let me know any advice.

Thanks
Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

It's all in how you drive it. I have near 500rwhp and have no rear end whine or problems at all on my original 05 diff. There is another member here with the same power on nitrous and has been ok thus far too.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Teching In

For the most part, it is just a casual driving. I will play around every once in a while. Eventually will take to the track.

Is the BMR brace a good preventative maintenance step? Or are there better/other options?

Any opinions welcome, and thanks deedubb.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you plan to throw drag radials on or try and drive it at the track like its a 9 second machine i dont see you having any problems.

the BMR brace is mixed, ive heard good and bad, your best bet it to do axles to elminate the wheel hop which is a major killer of diffs.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Unless you plan to throw drag radials on or try and drive it at the track like its a 9 second machine i dont see you having any problems.

the BMR brace is mixed, ive heard good and bad, your best bet it to do axles to elminate the wheel hop which is a major killer of diffs.
Wheel hop is the root cause of the differential carnage. As stated above, your best bet is to do the axle swap and a bushing on the diff nose (or bushing/axle/CV joint swap if you're going to hit the strip ).

I'm going on 3 years with an '07 replacement differential with over 500 rwhp and very close to 500 rwtq but I don't drag the car at all (knocking on wood as I speak).
Old 08-31-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OiReLaV
Hello guys,

I have a few questions that i did a search for and didn't see much help.

At what point does the rear end start becoming a problem when adding power? All I really plan on doing is intake, cat-back, and maybe down the road, some headers. I don't plan to do much to the engine beyond that. Will I need to worry about the rear end with those mods? If so, does the BMR pinion support help this situation?

Also, when it comes to cat-backs, what is the trusted brand? Borla, Corsa, or Magnaflow?

Thanks for the help guys and please let me know any advice.

Thanks
what do you plan on doing with the car? if my wife drove a 800whp v it would last 200k miles easy on a stock diff.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:14 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What year is your V? I have an '07 and I drive mine to the best of my abilities at least 60% of the time. Dozens of 1/4 mile passes and dozens of road course track days. I've twisted off an axle inside the diff without the diff itself breaking. I purchased a set of GForce1320 axles and nearly all of the wheelhop is eliminated below about 5000 rpms. I would recommend going that route before you try and brace the diff housing and work against the hop. Why not eliminate the source of the stress instead of trying to counteract it?
Old 08-31-2010, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Welcome.

I have done the mod list you are proposing and don't intend to go much further since the car is my DD. With that said, I have the BMR Pinion Brace and I think it has helped.

Further, I don't experience much wheel hop at all and think the diff is strong enough to handle bolt-ons and a "non-dragster" driving habit. For example, look at all the guys that road race their car, thrash on it, and never have a problem. However, when one is doing 4K clutch drops when the tree goes green....you have an issue.

You should be fine. Just mod it and drive it. Worry about the diff when and if you needed.

LAW
Old 08-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Teching In

To respond to all you guys.

The Mod list i plan on doing is as follows.

-Magnaflow cat-back or Borla cat-back
-K&N Intake
-Small tuning
-Maybe headers (far down the road)

As far as how I plan to drive it:

It is a second car for now. Daily Driver gets me to work and back. Mainly, it will be driven normally/casually with some street fun thrown in. Any launches I do will be on street tires with clutch drops of 2000 RPM's or under. Track visits would be sparse and would stick with street tires with launches under 2000 RPM's.

With that said...what are suggestions? Simple BMR Brace or axles or don't worry cause it "shouldn't" be a problem?

EDIT: My car is a 2005 CTS-V LS6 6 speed manual w/ 16,000 miles

Thanks for all the responses and help.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

From my experience any type of clutch "dump" whether on street tires, drag radials, stock power or 500rwhp dumping the clutch is gonna bring on hop bad. Slip the clutch and youll be fine.

I have the econo axle on the drivers side adn its taken care of the hop so for the price id just do that.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Teching In

well, this is my newness to the manual transmission racing world. Don't get me wrong, i know how to drive a manual, but haven't ever raced or launched one as of yet.

I am assuming that "slipping" the clutch would entail bringing the clutch out to the point of grip, while holding the RPM's around 3000-4000, then releasing quickly without just letting it go?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea its not all cars but the V hops when you dump the clutch especially on a prepped track.

dumping would be holding 3000rpms then "dumping the clutch"
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Any more input guys?

Axles? Brace? or no need to worry at that power?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-01-2010, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

The BMR pinion support added alot of cabin noise in my case. It also wasnt a cure-all for wheel hop either. It might accelerate pinion wear as well.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

There are a few people on here that have cut their factory spring and have had nothing but good to say about it.... I think the key is cutting the bump stop so it's not bouncy. I personally have not done it but plan to try it this week and if I hate it will go to an H&R or coilover.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Crowned Customs
There are a few people on here that have cut their factory spring and have had nothing but good to say about it.... I think the key is cutting the bump stop so it's not bouncy. I personally have not done it but plan to try it this week and if I hate it will go to an H&R or coilover.
I think you meant to reply to the thread about spring cutting my friend

Quick Reply: A Little new to the CTS-V scene, Few questions?