Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

tranny question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny question?

I am starting to think about beefing up my tranny when i do a clutch/flywheel swap.

question is...what would be the best options to do this? links and what not would be nice too
Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO your wasting your money with your power levels. Unless you have real big plans I dont see you being able to abuse the stock trans enough to break something besides the clutch.

tick builds nice trannies and so does rkt56.com........id spend your money elsewhere though.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was thinking along the same lines...just seeing if there is anything that i could do that was fairly cheap to help the tranny when i really start building up the car.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

You can do a few things like billet syncro keys and bronze fork pads just for a little more durability but there really is no way to "beef" them up short of doing things like input shaft, main shaft, counter shaft, and output shaft swaps that will require some money and machining to make work. You would have to find a guy that does the swaps though. A regular shop won't have a clue.

But like Cole said, that stuff in unecassary at you power levels. Most shops including RPM and Tick Performance use stock parts like syncros and gears for replacements.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 AM
11 Second Club

Might talk to my bro, not sure what he just did but he had it beefed up I believe, granted I'm pretty sure he is pushing more power then you.....

I'm sure he will chime in here...
Old 09-28-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

one thing that has crossed my mind is doing a complete tranny change.

maybe to the TR-6060, or a built up T56. i know at my current power, it is pointless. but that would be for if i really start building the car up for more then the common mods, along with the Gforce 9.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Domsz06
Might talk to my bro, not sure what he just did but he had it beefed up I believe, granted I'm pretty sure he is pushing more power then you.....

I'm sure he will chime in here...
I just did the standard freshen up with billet shift forks and better synchro's. They did put new bearings in the transmission too.
I was in the same boat as you Cole, I had the trans out to put in a twin disc clutch and figured I would have the trans rebuilt while I was at it. I had 76k miles on it and the only issue was it would pop out of reverse if i didn't manually hold the lever in place. All the forward gears were great.

I will also say, getting rid of the stock TURD of a flywheel is one of the best things I have ever done for the car. My complete twin setup weighed in at ~30lbs, and the FW is tapered to the edges to keep most of the rotational mass in the center.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

i hear ya on the crap flywheel. i am getting so fed up with it, i might be moving up the time table for the Monster Stage 3 w/ 18lbs FW.

my v has almost 36k on the clock now (4000 miles in the 7 weeks i have been able to drive her). i know it is still a good tranny, but never hurts to catch things early. an reverse is starting to act weird. R light comes on in the cluster and the sticks looks to be in reverse, but it isnt. it takes a couple times, sometimes more, to get the tranny to engage reverse.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

built tranny<cam......just saying.

If your gonna build the tranny get it done once and get it done right. Tick and RKT56(my choice) would be the ones to do it. A stock T56 has been known to handle some serious abuse and in our cars its abuse that we cant even give it. Stock 03 cobras have seen 9s with stock trannies, fbodies have been in the same boat. Thats dumping the clutch at 6k rpm and pulling 1.5 60's.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I just did the standard freshen up with billet shift forks and better synchro's. They did put new bearings in the transmission too.
I was in the same boat as you Cole, I had the trans out to put in a twin disc clutch and figured I would have the trans rebuilt while I was at it. I had 76k miles on it and the only issue was it would pop out of reverse if i didn't manually hold the lever in place. All the forward gears were great.

I will also say, getting rid of the stock TURD of a flywheel is one of the best things I have ever done for the car. My complete twin setup weighed in at ~30lbs, and the FW is tapered to the edges to keep most of the rotational mass in the center.
who did the work and what did it cost?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i might be moving up the time table for the Monster Stage 3 w/ 18lbs FW.
Go stage II. It is a full face clutch so you won't get all the chatter and squealing that the III provides. I am not bashing Monster at all, it is rated for 750 rwhp but you (and I) are no where near that and will hate it.

Check my sig I know first hand, if you want more details about it PM me.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know i am not making the power (now), but when/if i put a blower on, i think the stage 3 will come in much more handy then 2 IMO. Stage 2 is rated at 525 HP/TQ, and with a S/C i will be looking to have that at the wheels. which 525 RWHP will translate to roughly 600 BHP.

i am still on the fence about stage 2 or 3, but i am leaning to 3 just because of bigger power handling ability.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
i know i am not making the power (now), but when/if i put a blower on, i think the stage 3 will come in much more handy then 2 IMO. Stage 2 is rated at 525 HP/TQ, and with a S/C i will be looking to have that at the wheels. which 525 RWHP will translate to roughly 600 BHP.

i am still on the fence about stage 2 or 3, but i am leaning to 3 just because of bigger power handling ability.
IMo if your gonna drive the car a lot with that kind of power you gotta drop the money on a RPS or Exedy twin disc. Monster told me to go with the stage 3 over the stage 2. I cant get the chatter out of the back of my head so ill prolyl just go with an LS7 to be honest. I have about 8k miles on my stock ls6 clutch now and its fine.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are going clutch exedy twin >*.

I have been stuck with a chatter box stage 3 before and i hated it. on and off switch and it got worse the colder the car was.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Addict

Another vote for the Exedy twin. I absolutely love mine.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by raven154
Another vote for the Exedy twin. I absolutely love mine.
Any chatter with the Exedy twin, and what kind of engagement window does it have?

I love my lightweight flywheel, but am not really sold on the clutch. It's a Zoom D2 twin, and before everyone burns me for buying a cheap *** twin, just know I got it for next to nothing.

The clutch is like nothing I have ever driven before, starting with the clutch pedal on the floor and releasing the pedal upward you can feel it engage about an inch from the floor and the car will just barely start to roll. Then as I release the pedal about another inch nothing much happens, same amount of clutch engagement. Finally as I release another inch (3 inches from the floor now) the clutch grabs, hard! and if I don't slip work it just perfect it will chatter. I don't have any issues with shifting gears, its just like any other clutch.

Does this sound normal for a twin? It's not hard to drive, just very different.

Just a heads up for anyone looking at buying a zoom D2 twin, you will need to make a 1/2" spacer. I made mine out of a piece of plate steel with a cutting torch, grinder, and drill press. It's not pretty, but functional and nobody will ever see it anyway.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

ls7 is the way to go! its perfect for this car.. its the one they should ve used from the factory
Old 09-29-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
You can do a few things like billet syncro keys and bronze fork pads just for a little more durability but there really is no way to "beef" them up short of doing things like input shaft, main shaft, counter shaft, and output shaft swaps that will require some money and machining to make work. You would have to find a guy that does the swaps though. A regular shop won't have a clue.

But like Cole said, that stuff in unecassary at you power levels. Most shops including RPM and Tick Performance use stock parts like syncros and gears for replacements.
I've a dozen or so T56s built by Texas Drivetrain Performance north of Ft. Worth. Jason does fantastic work and has stupid quick turn-around. These transmissions are in my and my customer's road race cars.

We have seen some adverse wear on the sliders using the bronze pads. Seems as though they generate a lot of heat and even debris and causes premature wear.

Stick with the nylon pads ...
Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

No chatter at all with the Exedy. This is the only twin I have ever run so I cant speak for others engagement windows. On mine though, I dont feel the two discs. The engagement is pretty high compared to my SPEC. I haven't measured but I would say a little less than mid way of total pedal throw. The pedal feel is much different than a single. I cant really describe how its different, you just know something is different. It did take some getting used to. The engagement window is small but manageable. You can slip the clutch but if you let out to fast it will bite and kill the car. It is very light. Mine weighed in at 35lbs total. The clutch is expensive but well worth it in my opinion. It is also rebuildable. I have no shifting issues like I had with the LS7 and SPEC clutches. Its just a very streetable DD clutch that bites like a pit bull. Its weird how they can get a clutch to do both but Exedy sure did it right.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Any chatter with the Exedy twin, and what kind of engagement window does it have?

I love my lightweight flywheel, but am not really sold on the clutch. It's a Zoom D2 twin, and before everyone burns me for buying a cheap *** twin, just know I got it for next to nothing.

The clutch is like nothing I have ever driven before, starting with the clutch pedal on the floor and releasing the pedal upward you can feel it engage about an inch from the floor and the car will just barely start to roll. Then as I release the pedal about another inch nothing much happens, same amount of clutch engagement. Finally as I release another inch (3 inches from the floor now) the clutch grabs, hard! and if I don't slip work it just perfect it will chatter. I don't have any issues with shifting gears, its just like any other clutch.

Does this sound normal for a twin? It's not hard to drive, just very different.

Just a heads up for anyone looking at buying a zoom D2 twin, you will need to make a 1/2" spacer. I made mine out of a piece of plate steel with a cutting torch, grinder, and drill press. It's not pretty, but functional and nobody will ever see it anyway.
my exedy twin has a bit more pedal feel to it ( hard to remember how stock was) but it releases up high like a stock clutch would. and it drives just like stock. if i am at a stop it would require a bit more thought since the flywheel is so light to keep it from stalling. but aside from that its like a super stock clutch. no noises, no bucking, no on off light switch behavior. i think from now on i will only buy exedy clutches.