Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New Guy that hates the brake dust

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy that hates the brake dust

Whats up guys? I have a 07 V and love it. Its Black on Black, the only thing i hate is cleaning my wheels every day and getting the Excessive brake dust off the wheels. Which pads are you guys running that keeps the dust down?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrwill76
Whats up guys? I have a 07 V and love it. Its Black on Black, the only thing i hate is cleaning my wheels every day and getting the Excessive brake dust off the wheels. Which pads are you guys running that keeps the dust down?
There have been a million threads on here about brake pads....From what I've learned, you ask 20 ppl you'll get 20 different opinions. I have gunmetal wheels with a satin finish which don't show up the dust as some of the black gloss wheels I've seen. GOOD LUCK and hopefully someone will be able to give some advice if they've cracked the code.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

from what I've been able to tell, it depends on what your willing to lose......from what I have been able to understand

Stock: Pros--great bite/stopping power Cons--Break Dust
HawkPads low break dust version: Pros--low break dust Cons--not nearly as much bight or stopping power
HawkPads plus Pros--little better than stock stopping power, and less than stock break dust, Cons--squeaky

from what I understand most pads fall into one of these categories
Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Launching!

IMO, the best solution - Paint your wheels the color of brake dust.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by ITSAV
from what I've been able to tell, it depends on what your willing to lose......from what I have been able to understand

HawkPads low break dust version: Pros--low break dust Cons--not nearly as much bight or stopping power
HawkPads plus Pros--little better than stock stopping power, and less than stock break dust, Cons--squeaky

Go for the HawkPads plus...... I think thats about as good as it gets.
Good braking with less dust... (it still dusts, just does it considerably less)
& I haven't had a squeak problem like some others say they've had
Old 11-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Teching In

my car has the HAWK PLUS and the stop great, not too much dust, but they do sqeak, but just when you come to a complete stop, not while im braking to the stop.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a car with 4 piston brembos and 14" rotors. Ill take the stoppiong power over less dust. Even the Hawek ceramics I had on for 2k miles dusted and it felt like there was grease on the rotors it stopped so bad. The HPS I have on now suck *** for stopping and still dust. I am putting stockers back on after winter.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Please dont ban me for mentioning this. But a guy from Advance Autoparts assured me that the wagner pads leave very little brake dust. I wasn't even buying pads, i just happened to mention that i hate cleaning my wheels all the time.

Maybe someone can chime in and verify or argue this statement since i've yet to actually try them.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

from what I've been able to tell, it depends on what your [sic] willing to lose......from what I have been able to understand

I don't think he wants to break the dust, he wants to get rid of the dust.

HawkPads [sic] low break [sic] dust version: Pros--low break [sic] dust Cons--not nearly as much bight [sic] or stopping power
I assume "HawkPads" are Hawk Performance pads? And I'm guessing the low "break" dust version is the Hawk Performance Ceramics? What is the difference between the bite that the stock pads have and the bight that the HawkPads don't have?

HawkPads [sic] plus Pros--little better than stock stopping power, and less than stock break [sic] dust, Cons--squeaky
I'm guessing you're referring to the HP+ compound here?

All spelling jokes aside, basically what ITSAV said is correct. The more braking performance you get (in the form of higher friction and/or better fade resistance) the more brake dust you get. I've yet to find a pad that disproves that general rule, despite what various manufacturers claim.

I'm running Stoptech Street Performance pads now. They produce noticeably less dust than the Ferodo DS2500s I had on the car before, but they also don't have the cold bite or overall stopping power that the Ferodos had.

Originally Posted by Nemesis350
Please dont [sic] ban me for mentioning this. But a guy from Advance Autoparts assured me that the wagner [sic] pads leave very little brake dust.

Maybe someone can chime in and verify or argue this statement since i've yet to actually try them.
He could be right, but there's more than one type of Wagner pad - they make ceramic, organic, and semi-metallic. The organics and ceramics probably don't dust much at all, but they probably also suck performance-wise.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you like how well your car stops (I'm gonna guess that you do), you have to live with the dust. For the most part, if you go with some ceramic or low dust pads, your gonna be sacrificing stopping power. Keep your wheels waxed and they will have less of a tendency to hold on to the dust.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Launching!

I just had to replace the pads in the back of mine. I was kind of stuck on my options cause I needed them that day. I went to Advance and bought their Duralast Gold Semi-metallic for the back. I will tell you that this thing still stops pretty damn well. When I was bedding them in it took till about the 13th time of back-to-bacl 60mph to 10mph before I started to get any fading. There is also very little brake dust. I am not sure what pads are up front but I am going to assume they are some type of ceramic. All in all the car will stop 10 times better than most cars out on the road.

I don't track my V so I am not worried about putting the brakes under extreme conditions....from the daily driving I do I can get it to stop extremely well. I have not tried the Hawk pads but I am sure that they will work a little better possibly. But in a pinch $40 for a full rear set of pads that stop damn good worked for me.

As stated above if you ask 20 people I think you will get 30 opinions, best thing is to try for yourself.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Paint the wheels black helped a bit haha but the thing that helps the most is just wax the wheels every now and then. Then a little scrubbing and wash down and the dust usually rinses off.

I've learned to deal with it I personally would rather have the stopping power over dealing with dust.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mhhamrhead
IMO, the best solution - Paint your wheels the color of brake dust.
Do you know the paint code for the color "CTS-V brake dust".
(sorry my attempt at being a smartazz)

Originally Posted by Persian-V
I've learned to deal with it I personally would rather have the stopping power over dealing with dust.
I just deal with the brake dust. I have replaced front and rear pads with factory pads. I didn't want to loose the braking abilities due to a cheaper compound pad. If I had to go other than OE pads I would go to an aggresive pad semi-metallic or full metallic giving up rotor life and cold bite is an acceptable trade for braking performance in my opinion.

Are we up to 20 opinions yet?
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

go buy the armor-all wheel protectant.

I can go 3 weeks on my cts-v and months (not the dd) on my z06 without washing the wheels. It protects the wheels, and if there is any brake dust in the corners compressed air takes it off. I drive fast and want my stopping power of the brakes. Ceramics do tend to give up some stopping ability.

Here is the stuff I'm talking about
Old 11-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Domsz06
go buy the armor-all wheel protectant.

I can go 3 weeks on my cts-v and months (not the dd) on my z06 without washing the wheels. It protects the wheels, and if there is any brake dust in the corners compressed air takes it off. I drive fast and want my stopping power of the brakes. Ceramics do tend to give up some stopping ability.

Here is the stuff I'm talking about
bought this stuff over the weekend after seeing this post. stuff works pretty damn well.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am very happy with my Hawk HPS pads. I did not notice a difference in stopping power...then again I dont mash the brakes at every stop.

The level of dust is very low...I also have black wheels.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SScamaro2001
bought this stuff over the weekend after seeing this post. stuff works pretty damn well.
I bought a cheaper version and it SUCKED *****...left a white sheen on the wheels and I allowed longer to dry than the bottle said. I tried it twice and chunked it...I guess as they say "You get what you pay for"
Old 11-15-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by whisler151
I am very happy with my Hawk HPS pads. I did not notice a difference in stopping power...then again I dont mash the brakes at every stop.

The level of dust is very low...I also have black wheels.
I'm running the same pads and mine started squeaking after 2000 miles or so at low speeds. Not sure if it has anything to do with the drilled rotors or not but it drives me insane. It only seems to happen as the dust builds up. Aside from that the pads are fine for a DD. I can tell a difference stopping wise over the stock OEM pads but they dust way less. I now wash the wheels once a week vs every 3 days. I'll probably go back to the stock pads in the spring...lol.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

I will buy it tommorow

Quick Reply: New Guy that hates the brake dust