Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Welp, broke it..haha

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Welp, broke it..haha

A few weeks after putting the gen 3 rear in, I am going around a corner in 2nd gear, get back on the gas (around 3k rpms) and SNAP! The outer stub on the passenger side broke clean off.

...now do I pony up for dss/gforce/hendrix full axles or just replace the outer stub and be done with it. I've been debating on nitrous here lately so I guess it will be wise to go for the good axles. The car is supposed to be on the track next wednesday for an all day event. I have a buddy with a spare stock one I can throw on, but would rather not break his either...I guess I have to make a decision in the next day or so..arg

</rant>
Old 11-30-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

still on stock axles(except for hendrix drivers side shaft). i think its the luck of the draw. id throw a stocker back in it for now.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

that blows...i did managed to break a gforce axle. passenger side inner splines *poof* stripped. but thankfully no damage to anything else.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Don't take anymore chances. Might as well go G-force and you shouldn't have to much more to worry about.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by renzos23
Don't take anymore chances. Might as well go G-force and you shouldn't have to much more to worry about.
Yea just like Cole didnt have to worry?
Old 12-01-2010, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
haha...it was really compounded by the fact that i stripped the axle 1600 miles from home, while on leave, 1 week before i had to be back at work.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Resident

My buddy is loaning me a stock one for now until he is in a position to sell his hendrix axles (the good ones) and kars kit to me
Old 12-01-2010, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone ever called you a "dick" on the forums????

Jus asking?
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Has anyone ever called you a "dick" on the forums????

Jus asking?
Nope and personally i dont care. I usually try and give out some good info.

I state a FACT and you get you get bitter? Simple fact once again, COle had Gforce axles for not very long at all and one broke.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

oh ok.......But i thought he stripped it not broke it???
Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

oh ok.......But i thought he stripped it not broke it???
Same difference either way it was undriveable. It was the splines that stripped but it was the gforce axle that failed. Probably a very rare thing but you never can guarantee anything. Knock on wood my stockers have held up fine so far and ive had my current mods since May and the nitrous for over a year.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

^ How many track passes have you made and how often to you get on it from a stop? I've only made 15-20 with almost no wheel hop and only 3 passes since the cam before the axle let go on the street.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive made 10 or so track passes, about 5 of those with extreme wheel hop(enough to have the ABS light and service stability system come up on the NAV once). ANd I beat on it regularly on the street but i dont get any hop on the street.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

I'm trying to line up a truck/trailer for our track day next Wednesday just in case because its over an hour away from home..would rather not get stuck with that tow bill just in case..haha.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I'm trying to line up a truck/trailer for our track day next Wednesday just in case because its over an hour away from home..would rather not get stuck with that tow bill just in case..haha.
^^^^^^ Not a bad idea.....I used to ALWAYS keep 2 or 3 u-joints in my rock crawling first aid kit....since the V is known to bust it's a$$ at the track, and it's not a "fix on the spot" repair it would be a GREAT idea to have a ride home. I had to push my old Cobra outside the gate at our local dragstrip one night after I popped a rear and the only tow company wanted $150 to take it 7 miles home.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

I'm borrowing my boss's truck and renting a trailer ($50) since his trailer is out of town right now. My insurance company does cover tows, but I doubt they would cover a tow from the racetrack..haha.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Same difference either way it was undriveable. It was the splines that stripped but it was the gforce axle that failed. Probably a very rare thing but you never can guarantee anything. Knock on wood my stockers have held up fine so far and ive had my current mods since May and the nitrous for over a year.
My feeling is that the stripped GForce axle was an extreme fluke. We have never heard of anybody else breaking anything on one of these axles, and my guess is that we probably won't until people start pushing the limits of the stated HP that the axles can hold (which I don't know off the top of my head).
Old 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Ive made 10 or so track passes, about 5 of those with extreme wheel hop(enough to have the ABS light and service stability system come up on the NAV once). ANd I beat on it regularly on the street but i dont get any hop on the street.
Your diff (no matter what generation) is now a ticking time bomb after that many passes with "extreme" wheelhop. It is not a matter of "if" it breaks, but really just a matter of "when". You have been lucky up to this point, but we all know that the forces that are present in the diff under bad wheelhop cause the case to deform, and after a certain number of those instances that cause deformation (which in turn causes tiny cracks near the mounting points of the aluminum casing), the case WILL break, no getting around it.

You better be prepared to pay for a tow at any given time, especially if you are flogging the car or dragging it...or save up your pennies for a complete GForce rearend replacement.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tweeter81
Your diff (no matter what generation) is now a ticking time bomb after that many passes with "extreme" wheelhop. It is not a matter of "if" it breaks, but really just a matter of "when". You have been lucky up to this point, but we all know that the forces that are present in the diff under bad wheelhop cause the case to deform, and after a certain number of those instances that cause deformation (which in turn causes tiny cracks near the mounting points of the aluminum casing), the case WILL break, no getting around it.

You better be prepared to pay for a tow at any given time, especially if you are flogging the car or dragging it...or save up your pennies for a complete GForce rearend replacement.
Its likely i wont own the car after winter and I do disagree, ive had that diff in the car for almost two years now if it was gonna go itd have gone by now. Itll never see the track again cause it just isnt fun to me knowing itll never launch.

And there is no way in hell id spend 5500 bucks on a built rear. If i wanted a car dedicated to go fast at the track, itll be anm fbody or some kind of swap. The V will never be as fast as they should be even with a built rear. Too damn heavy and im not willing to sacrifice the amenities to make it faster.

Theres a reason why no one has ever seen a V1 go faster then mid 11s in 6 years since they have been out.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its likely i wont own the car after winter and I do disagree, ive had that diff in the car for almost two years now if it was gonna go itd have gone by now. Itll never see the track again cause it just isnt fun to me knowing itll never launch.

And there is no way in hell id spend 5500 bucks on a built rear. If i wanted a car dedicated to go fast at the track, itll be anm fbody or some kind of swap. The V will never be as fast as they should be even with a built rear. Too damn heavy and im not willing to sacrifice the amenities to make it faster.

Theres a reason why no one has ever seen a V1 go faster then mid 11s in 6 years since they have been out.
I agree with you on there being a reason...I am just almost a year into the V club but I'm noticing a trend with the price drop and the amount of mods people are willing/having to do go up in price.....I guess it was hard for people to drop 10k in mods on a car that was at the 30grand mark a year ago.....

Quick Reply: Welp, broke it..haha