Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Build Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Build Help

I just bought a 2004 cts-v and gonna swap a lq9 415 that makes 500 plus hp. i have 6k to spend to complete everything (hopefully). I need to beef up the tranny and from what i read the rear end is weak. I read a couple forums about the rear end and i guess my choice is the 8.8 ford rear end or the gforce, i can find the gforce,anyone know where i can find a complete kit for the 8.8 at the right price? also wanna keep it IRS. i wanna try some road racing so i dont really plan on hard starts. and for the tranny is there a reliable kit for a rebuild that can handle up to 600 hp?

i appreciate all your advice!!
Old 11-21-2011, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Creative steel. Partial kit for 2550 or full kit for like 3500
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the stock rear is ok at 500 horse for road racing. My personal V blew up the rear with 540 horse but it was while lauching it.... most of my customers that have blown up their rears its always been durring a burn out or a hard launch. My personal car we did gforce axles, bmr pinion support and anit hop kit and havent had any further issues
Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

but would you suggest eventually to replace the rear end to your customers if they could afford it?

Originally Posted by traenknerperformance
i think the stock rear is ok at 500 horse for road racing. My personal V blew up the rear with 540 horse but it was while lauching it.... most of my customers that have blown up their rears its always been durring a burn out or a hard launch. My personal car we did gforce axles, bmr pinion support and anit hop kit and havent had any further issues
Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

There really isn't a whole lot you can do to the transmission without spending a lot of money for gear set, counter shaft, mainshaft swaps. The little things are billet syncro keys, bronze fork pads (some say use them so say don't, I use them an have had no problem) and good clean fluid. Also, a better shifter if you don't already have one.

What reluctor does that LQ9 have in it? If it's a 24x your fine, if it's a 58x you will need a conversion box or a different crank.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

I have a 58x tooth its preety much set for the swap

Originally Posted by raven154
There really isn't a whole lot you can do to the transmission without spending a lot of money for gear set, counter shaft, mainshaft swaps. The little things are billet syncro keys, bronze fork pads (some say use them so say don't, I use them an have had no problem) and good clean fluid. Also, a better shifter if you don't already have one.

What reluctor does that LQ9 have in it? If it's a 24x your fine, if it's a 58x you will need a conversion box or a different crank.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

yeah without a doubt man if people have the money to do a nice rear setup then i tell them to go crazy. these days id say 99% of my customers are trying to save every cent they can. as for the transmission the bronze fork pads are a must. the teflon pads brake even at stock horsepower levels. to do the keys and pads you need to pretty much tear it down anyway- there are some manual trans companies that have full rebuild kits with the billet keys, bronze pads if your in the market for a shifter i would stay away from the UUC shifter. the last 2 i got wherent machined all the way and the bearings didnt fit. we ended up having to do it ourselves after no response for a fix from uuc

what clutch are you planning to run?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

I spoke with someone at tickshift.com and they said their rebuild kit for the gtos are the same for our t56 m12s for 950 something free shifting and i looked and comes with bronze for pads and carbon syncros, i looked at a short shifter and saw katechs havnt seen any reviews about it though. I havnt really looked into clutches yet though i popped on ebay a few times with a clutch kit from Spec

yeah without a doubt man if people have the money to do a nice rear setup then i tell them to go crazy. these days id say 99% of my customers are trying to save every cent they can. as for the transmission the bronze fork pads are a must. the teflon pads brake even at stock horsepower levels. to do the keys and pads you need to pretty much tear it down anyway- there are some manual trans companies that have full rebuild kits with the billet keys, bronze pads if your in the market for a shifter i would stay away from the UUC shifter. the last 2 i got wherent machined all the way and the bearings didnt fit. we ended up having to do it ourselves after no response for a fix from uuc

what clutch are you planning to run?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

i love my monster clutch stage III with the lightweight FW... my buddy has a B&M short throw in his V- its been discontinued but you can still find them- im going to swap out my UUC for one next week. i ended up fixing both UUC shifters i have so if you want one i can cut you a deal on one. they are a big improvement over stock- just have a sour taste in my mouth from the fact that i spent alot of money and had to machine the bearings to fit
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

i look into the monster clutches, i just decided im goin N/A with the ls3 top end on my lq9 and preety much got everything ready just wondering if the stock head covers would be fine with a 1.8 or 1.85 rockers? couldnt find anything about that. preety much the whole plan is to yank out the ls6 use whatever accessory, sensor and other parts i can from it to save a little cash vice ordering everything to make it hassle free just so i can meet my budget and maby get that 8.8 rear. By top-end im including heads, intake, higher flow injectors and TB, so i know i need the knock sensor extension harness maby injector adapter harness and and i think MAP adapter to, cant quite remember everything, still need to write it all down.

i love my monster clutch stage III with the lightweight FW... my buddy has a B&M short throw in his V- its been discontinued but you can still find them- im going to swap out my UUC for one next week. i ended up fixing both UUC shifters i have so if you want one i can cut you a deal on one. they are a big improvement over stock- just have a sour taste in my mouth from the fact that i spent alot of money and had to machine the bearings to fit
Old 11-22-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500hp on the rear huh.... so those who have broken their rears and never launched it?

Quick Reply: Build Help