Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

BEST OPTION FOR SHORT SHIFTER (insight needed)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question BEST OPTION FOR SHORT SHIFTER (insight needed)

Its as simple as that.. its been a while since I heard the +/- of the different short shifters that we have for the V1 and want some help! Some how my whole shifter ****,cylinder an boot got ripped out when I went to pick my kids up Saturday night! I'm not sure how it happened but I think it included a friend sitting in the passenger seat pretending to row thru the gears when I was insode the house getting my kids... needless to say I'm in the market for a new short shifter or even a used one! Sucks cause my wifes making me use the money she was going to get me a PS3 with... 8-(
Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

By the way thanks for the help...
Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for the same thing right now and from what I have been reading uuc seems to be the best but the priciest, katech a close second can be bought on lingenfelter.com IO think for like 250...from what I heard most everything else is poop. They were talking about how those still have some 2 joint design vs all the others that are crap
Old 12-11-2011, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the second generation Katech shifter, along with the UUC bushings from Lindsay Cadillac (you have to call them to order).

Love it--it's a little notchy, but the short throw and lack of slop is far better than the stock shifter and bushings. Be careful when you read reviews of the Katech shifter because they're often of the older model that doesn't feature the sound isolation feature that the new one has. Katech v2 > UUC, in my opinion.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...gory_Code=C449
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

What all is needed for the install including parts and tools? I will be doing it over at a friends house next weekend so ill be buying one over the next week...

Sweet, thanks guys! Keep the info coming!
Old 12-11-2011, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that noise isolation is exactly what I read about with that socket design business. A far better question is how do these compare to the cheap self made ones people are selling on here. Does it make that much of a difference to pay 300 for a namebrand vs a self made one on here for a 100???
Old 12-11-2011, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

That is a very great question! One that I was actually thinking about minutes before I read your post! I'm sure I would choose a used namebrand over a modified stock if the prices were close even if the modified stock works just as well as the namebrand!

Originally Posted by kl2onik
Yeah that noise isolation is exactly what I read about with that socket design business. A far better question is how do these compare to the cheap self made ones people are selling on here. Does it make that much of a difference to pay 300 for a namebrand vs a self made one on here for a 100???
Old 12-11-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh hell yeah finding used is the key my friend))) but 100 vs 300 for new uhhhh??? thinking the 100 shifter and the bmr kit instead lol theres ur 300. But if you run into a used one make sure you let me know first ahahahah
Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

No problem, ill make sure to let you know first when I purchase one used for a badass price! Hehehe
Originally Posted by kl2onik
oh hell yeah finding used is the key my friend))) but 100 vs 300 for new uhhhh??? thinking the 100 shifter and the bmr kit instead lol theres ur 300. But if you run into a used one make sure you let me know first ahahahah
Old 12-11-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

This is the guide I used.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ter/index.html

To pry the boot loose from the console, I got a thin putty knife for $1 at Home Depot and taped up the front edge to avoid scratching anything.

To decouple the propeller from the rubber interface, I had to spray a whole bunch of Liquid Wrench (WD-40 might also work) around the bolt holes and bang it a couple of times with a rubber mallet to unstick it.

Don't bother trying to remove the driveshaft from the differential. You don't need to.

By the way, you don't need to buy a new boot, but you could pick up a second generation V **** if you wanted. It adds a nice dash of color.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
No problem, ill make sure to let you know first when I purchase one used for a badass price! Hehehe
Hey when you do the install give some feedback with what you went with cause thats my next mod as soon as the headers fkn stop leaking. oh and look into those bushings from uuc for the shifter that ppl talk about replacing. Would be nice if someone actually posted a thread of where to buy the damn thing
Old 12-11-2011, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

I have the uuc and love it, but I have not driven anything else other than stock. It is a beautiful piece of machining, its a shame its covered. I dunno that its worth the money but I can tell you many people have sold their uuc and katechs to get a forum members modified shifter and loved the change. It's all personal preference.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Simple: call Luke Butler at 888-894-1729. It's the only way to order the UUC bushings, unless you want to use the form on the bottom of this page and pray that they answer your email.

http://www.lindsaycadillac.com/performanceparts.htm

I know it's obnoxious, but it's the only way that you can get them (that I'm aware of).
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Simple: call Luke Butler at 888-894-1729. It's the only way to order the UUC bushings, unless you want to use the form on the bottom of this page and pray that they answer your email.

http://www.lindsaycadillac.com/performanceparts.htm

I know it's obnoxious, but it's the only way that you can get them (that I'm aware of).
Thanks man for the info and that is kinda weird. you know how much they run? I think they eliminate some of the clunk no? or what the hell is their purpose anyway haha
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

07cts-v is brians username on here. He doesnt come around much. He's on cadillacforums more. I got my shifter from him and love it. He can make it shorter or longer, or keep stock height. Whatever you want really. His name on the caddy forum is pisnuoff
Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wcryan
07cts-v is brians username on here. He doesnt come around much. He's on cadillacforums more. I got my shifter from him and love it. He can make it shorter or longer, or keep stock height. Whatever you want really. His name on the caddy forum is pisnuoff
thanks man I appreciate the info saw the one azn2damax or smthng of the sort had on here but he copied his from someone else. think its the guy you are talkin bout
Old 12-11-2011, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Kl2onik, I believe it was $30 + S&H. Frankly, they should really only cost $2-5.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...shifter-d.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...my-05-wow.html
Old 12-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Launching!

CS also carries bushings. I went with AZN2DAMAX for mine im running it 1" shorter height ~33% reduc in throw and a gt500 ****. I like it a lot. Night and day difference over the stocker. It definitely is a little notchy though but not bad by any means.

I know Brian (pisnuoff) or something like that modifies them slightly differently. You can hit up either one of them I have talked to both and both guys are great and will answer all your questions I am sure.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
This is the guide I used.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ter/index.html

To pry the boot loose from the console, I got a thin putty knife for $1 at Home Depot and taped up the front edge to avoid scratching anything.

To decouple the propeller from the rubber interface, I had to spray a whole bunch of Liquid Wrench (WD-40 might also work) around the bolt holes and bang it a couple of times with a rubber mallet to unstick it.

Don't bother trying to remove the driveshaft from the differential. You don't need to.

By the way, you don't need to buy a new boot, but you could pick up a second generation V **** if you wanted. It adds a nice dash of color.

Love the new v ****. Honestly havent even seen it till now. No doubt its its the one im going to use. Thread and all fit same as oem ****? thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

If your just changing just the shifter stalk and not the whole assembly then use this install how to:

http://www.trafficjams.ca/Performanc...9SuedeKnob.htm

Last edited by azn2dmax; 12-13-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply: BEST OPTION FOR SHORT SHIFTER (insight needed)