Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Driving from VA to OKC, gun carrying question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Driving from VA to OKC, gun carrying question

Got a call from the FAA saying that I finally got a class date in OKC on the 12th. I will be leaving tonight from VA Beach. I will be taking my Beretta PX4 with me. I do not have my CC permit. My question is, if I leave the gun unloaded in the front seat with my magazines in the glove compartment, will that be legal. I will be driving through NC, TN, and AR. I looked online and I know I can have the gun in the front seat, but I am unsure if I can have the magazines in the glove box. The way I read the law is that it cant be in the vicinity of the gun. Can anyone help? Thanks for any input.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Every state is different as you posted but for separation of weapon and ammo I believe the trunk is going to be the answer. I assume you are taking it for personal safety.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the reply. I am taking it for personal protection, the trunk is what I was hopping it would be, but ammo wont do me any good in the trunk if need it. lol. I looked at every states law and most of them are the same, some can have ammo in it and others cant. But I figured I would leave it out so I dont forget to unload in before going into another state.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Most states use the 2 step rule. But each state is different. I have my CCW and check which states I am going through. But keeping the gun in a case/holster and the clips in the glove box would be more than 2 steps. If you get pulled over, be honest and forthcoming with the officer.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Can you lock your glovebox?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greddy91
Can you lock your glovebox?
IIRC, all V's have a locking glovebox. That would be my suggestion.

Just be sure to take your registration out before hand. You don't want ammo falling out of the glovebox when you try to had over your registration if you get pulled over

On a side note, I'll be in Va. Beach this weekend.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks all, I will take my registration out of the glove box and put my ammo in my gun case and put the case in the glove box and lock it. I will just explain it to the officer if I get pulled over. Thanks all for the great input.

SN. Chris0nllyn I was supposed to be moving up to DC for a job on the 17th, but I took this job because of better pay, plus after I leave OKC in April I get to live in FL. If for some reason this job falls through I will be in DC.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 06blackonblackctsv
Thanks all, I will take my registration out of the glove box and put my ammo in my gun case and put the case in the glove box and lock it. I will just explain it to the officer if I get pulled over. Thanks all for the great input.

SN. Chris0nllyn I was supposed to be moving up to DC for a job on the 17th, but I took this job because of better pay, plus after I leave OKC in April I get to live in FL. If for some reason this job falls through I will be in DC.
Safe travels!

If/When you make it back up this way, let me know, or start a thread, and we'll do a DC area get together
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

Thanks bro
Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Are you carrying it to OK for protection there or while on the road?

If your just bringing it for once you are there throw it in the trunk and forget it. If your traveling with it for protection you can choose, either leave it loaded and hidden or throw it in the trunk. I'd think if it's unloaded and you were to get into an issue by the time you grabbed all you need you'd either be dead or in trouble.

I'd think most who don't have a CCL just do it illegally and hidden. I believe in TX you can have it with the clip in but not in plain site without your ccl... Not sure. My bro was talking about it the other day.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Old 01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

In Texas, the Motorist Protection Act allows any citizen, with or without a concealed license to conceal a weapon in their vehicle they own & control & are driving.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're fine in OK as long as it isn't loaded if you don't have a CCL. Are you staying here until April?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

In Mississippi, ur vehicle is considered an extension of ur home, so u can have a concealed, LOADED, weapon in the vehicle.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Once you cross into Carolina you can have your weapon in the vehicle in plain sight. I have my CCW and still keep it seperate but you might want to put the ammo in the trunk. Cops in the south are very different...
Old 01-09-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know for a fact that in NC you can have the weapon loaded and in plain sight. As long as if you get pulled over you keep your hands on the wheel and notify the officer as soon as they walk up. This has happened to me without my CCW. All they will do is run the numbers on the gun and unload it, ask you to put the gun in the backseat, then hand you your ammo back loose, and ask you to keep it unloaded until the traffic stop is over.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LAYGO
In Texas, the Motorist Protection Act allows any citizen, with or without a concealed license to conceal a weapon in their vehicle they own & control & are driving.
Found this on the link for TX. I'm sure if you looked, you'd find the states in question:
From the Texas DPS FAQ Page:
Q. Can I carry a handgun without a license when driving or traveling in a Motor Vehicle?

A. Effective September 1, 2007 a person who can legally possess a firearm may possess or carry a handgun in motor vehicle (including a recreational vehicle with living quarters) and watercraft that is owned by or under the lawful control of the person. However, the firearm must be concealed, the person may not be engaged in criminal activity, and also may not be a member of “Criminal Street Gang.” The person may also carry the firearm to and from his vehicle without a license. (See Texas Penal Code 46.02 (a). However, DPS recommends that you seek the advice of an attorney with any questions regarding the unlicensed carrying of firearms.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by D Block
In Mississippi, ur vehicle is considered an extension of ur home, so u can have a concealed, LOADED, weapon in the vehicle.
What he said...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Best bet is to keep the ammo in the trunk...safe travels man.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Why is this even being discussed? There is a right to bare arms in this country right? How can there be so many law against it? Gets me confused.

Quick Reply: Driving from VA to OKC, gun carrying question