Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Sell or Continue with V1

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell or Continue with V1

Well i don't post here much but need a little push in either direction here.

My V1 is an 04 with 38k on the clock, Maggied, coated LT's, G-Force 9" with a wavetrac, magnaflow with x-pipe and a couple other little mods here and there but otherwise stock and clean. Completely paid off as well. I love not having payments

Right now I am deployed to AFG and am trying to decide weather i should keep the V1 and add LS9R clutch, meth and stock widened rims. Or go for a used V2 or used C6Z. The other far fetched option would be to go for a zero option ZL1.

I love my car but am wondering if its getting close to the limit of where i want to take it. The other thing is that its a sedan which is about $60 cheaper a month on insurance.

What would you guys do?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trade me straight up for my car and then trade mine in on a v2.....

or trade me rearends before you trade it in......ill do all the work...lol

thats kind of a tough desicion, the zl1 would be pretty bad ***, but at the same time so is the v2, and so is a c6z....I guess it comes down to deciding if you need 4 doors......then itll come down to well......power will probably come easier and cheaper with the zl1....seeing how its already supercharged and 580hp stock...........
Old 04-28-2012, 06:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

yes, do not trade it in with those parts on it! take them off and sell them!
Old 04-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

I refuse to trade it in, specifically because being in the military leaves me very little time to tinker, hell it took me 2 weeks to put the rear in my car, it should have taken a weekend haha.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't need anything practical, I'd say C6Z would be more fun. I can't see trading to a ZL1, it's way more money, less practicality, and not as fast as a 'vette.

A V2, sure, it is nicer inside, roomy, fast, etc. The ZL1 is just the fast part. It is heavy with bad economy, for no functional benefit. The back seat is all but useless, visibility is terrible, why not just save money and get a faster and more fuel efficient 'vette?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah my wife has a 11 ss Camaro, i know all to well about the blind spots, yet the ZL1 intrigues me because of the drivetrain. GM finally built a rear that I hopefully wouldn't have to strengthen, and the LSA is a strong powerplant. Yet I do agree with you on the "Just the the fast part" of the ZL1.

Honestly i have never even sat in a C6 nor a C6Z. I know enough about them to know that they are serious machines. Im going to have to drive one when i get back.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you have never driven a c6z, definitely go drive one before you make a decision on what car to get. The fact that you're considering a vette or camaro tells me you don't need a whole lot of functionality or practicality in the next car. If that is the case, and you have the money to spend (blow), the c6z is going to give you not only the best bang for your buck, but the most fun and performance out of any of them. Just headers, cam and a tune will put you above 550 rwhp in a 3100 lb car, which in my opinion is a perfect street car, and will be my next purchase.

That's IF you want to spend another $20-30k on top of selling your V. I don't see the point of spending the same money on a V2 when you could get a c6z unless you really want/need 4 doors and luxury. You could just throw a cam and ls9 clutch in your V and be at or close to 500 rwhp for about $4k. The zl1 seems cool because of the powerplant, but the price tag is outrageous when you consider the low points as mentioned above (size, weight, etc).

As far as the insurance cost goes, I'd say that is a silly thing to consider when you look at the type of money you're looking to spend on the car. From throwing $4k-$5k into your current V to spending another $50k on top of your V to get a zl1 camaro, the insurance cost should not at all be considered as part of the decision.

In any case, I'm jealous of your options! Here is how I would order your choices if it were me:

1. c6z
2. keep modding the V1
3. V2
4 zl1

By the way...one more thing...I just put coilovers on my V and I should have done it years ago, it really adds to the enjoyment of the driving experience. You didn't mention suspension on yours, but if you keep your V1, DEFINITELY address the suspension.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

I didn't read everyone's response but I would keep it. Very nice car with tasteful mods and also low miles with no payment. I'd just focus on enjoying it more and doing the few things to it that aren't done. With the solid rear, these cars are damn near bulletproof.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
That's IF you want to spend another $20-30k on top of selling your V.
That depends greatly on what kind of Z you want. As an example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-33500-a.html

If he's going to mod it anyway, why spend $50k on one with a warranty, when there are plenty of '06-07 cars available for tens of thousands less. He could be in a clean C6Z for maybe $10k on top of what his V would fetch. A lot less than a ZL1, and less than most V2's (though some '09s are coming into the mid/low 40s).

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I didn't read everyone's response but I would keep it. Very nice car with tasteful mods and also low miles with no payment. I'd just focus on enjoying it more and doing the few things to it that aren't done. With the solid rear, these cars are damn near bulletproof.
I think I would too, with a bulletproof rear and a blower, I'd think it would be tons of fun. But I also appreciate the practicality of the V1. If I didn't need any of that, a C6Z is very tempting.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COLEVETTE
Yeah my wife has a 11 ss Camaro, i know all to well about the blind spots, yet the ZL1 intrigues me because of the drivetrain. GM finally built a rear that I hopefully wouldn't have to strengthen, and the LSA is a strong powerplant. Yet I do agree with you on the "Just the the fast part" of the ZL1.
Watching those Chevy vids about the ZL1, the drivetrain and features are really tempting to me too. But I drove a V6 rental once, and the ergonomics of the car just really disappointed me.

The "stuff" though is tempting: LSA, gen 3 magneride, launch control, HUD, big-*** Brembos, diff and trans coolers, etc... But the reality is a plain-jane Z06 would do everything better. If you haven't driven one, you ought to.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

am I the only one who thinks his maggied V wouldn't be much slower, if at all, than a V2 or ZL1?
Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by aurora40
That depends greatly on what kind of Z you want. As an example:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...n-33500-a.html

If he's going to mod it anyway, why spend $50k on one with a warranty, when there are plenty of '06-07 cars available for tens of thousands less. He could be in a clean C6Z for maybe $10k on top of what his V would fetch. A lot less than a ZL1, and less than most V2's (though some '09s are coming into the mid/low 40s).
Yes, but I was figuring $20k for his current V, and $40-45k for a c6z (and about the same for a used V2). I have been cruising the corvette classifieds for quite a while now and that one you posted is the deal of a lifetime and NOT something you can bet on finding very often, if ever. You see how quickly that one sold, it's not a good representation of what you can generally expect to find out there unless you make the search your full time job for a couple months.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RADEoN
am I the only one who thinks his maggied V wouldn't be much slower, if at all, than a V2 or ZL1?
No, we can all agree on that, but the OP was questioning the limits of the V1 as far as future modding. When you take a stock V2 or ZL1 that is comparable in speed to his current V1, you can mod those cars and get a substantial increase in power relatively inexpensively and be leaving the V1 in the dust. Modding his V1 further will give less gains relative to a simple pulley/exhaust/tune to those two cars. Unless he is going to build a new motor and put a bigger blower on the V1....but for the cost of that, I would lean toward a V2 which is a nicer, newer car with a ton of potential.

But like I said, spend $4-$5k on a cam, new clutch and suspension for the V1 and he will still be very happy with it and have more power and more fun that he is having now for not a lot of money.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same thoughts about my V.

The cons are:

Due to depreciation they ain't worth jack.

They are OBSOLETE.

Used V2's are getting cheaper.

The pros:

If you own it, nuff said.

They are a modders wet dream (except for the stereo/nav).

I was considering selling mine and buying an "investment" car.

Problem was it would have cost me what ever I could get for my V and another $80k (at least).

I bought more mods.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
No, we can all agree on that, but the OP was questioning the limits of the V1 as far as future modding. When you take a stock V2 or ZL1 that is comparable in speed to his current V1, you can mod those cars and get a substantial increase in power relatively inexpensively and be leaving the V1 in the dust. Modding his V1 further will give less gains relative to a simple pulley/exhaust/tune to those two cars. Unless he is going to build a new motor and put a bigger blower on the V1....but for the cost of that, I would lean toward a V2 which is a nicer, newer car with a ton of potential.

But like I said, spend $4-$5k on a cam, new clutch and suspension for the V1 and he will still be very happy with it and have more power and more fun that he is having now for not a lot of money.
This is true. With his G Force 9 inch, his next weak spot is going to be the T56.

My suggestion is to stroke and cam that block, keep the car meticulously maintained, and keep the car for the rest of your life.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

I have been leaning towards a C6Z. Reasons being that i think that they have depreciated to their limit for now, are basically a budget supercar, and are heavily supported by the aftermarket. 510, you are right, insurance costs should not be a matter in this but i do have to look at every pro and con.

Not that i think my car is slow or out-dated, nor do i think i have taken it to the platforms limits by any means. I just can stand the lack of support from the aftermarket on vehicle specific parts for this thing, i mean we have 3 choices for LT's for goodness sakes, and one choice for FI, im not speaking in terms of custom work but I have been down that road and im not sure i want to lose anymore hair.

Pros of my V1:

Sleeper
4 door (not that i need them, no kids)
The best rear end
Its paid for
Low miles
Decent mpg (if i keep my foot from going through the firewall constantly)
Fast (makes wifes 2ss feel like 1991 toyota tercel)
Comfortable
LS6

Cons:

No aftermarket support
Still needs some work to be done (that goes with anything i buy)
Cadillac tax
Cadillac tax
Cadillac tax
Its a fat pig
Stock rear exploded on my way to work (Caused me a huge headache that day)
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
TECH Addict

My plan is to stroke mine and then sell her once I get it paid off and then get a low miles used V2 that I will keep for good....I only drive 5000a year and have another car for my daily driving so I'll have a super low mileage V2 in 20 yrs...
Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

If you think the v1 is a fat pig then the zl1 and v2 are whales...
Old 04-28-2012, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Corvette Grand Sport with LS3, dry sump oil system with manual transmission,
full steel frame, unlimited OEM and aftermarket enhancements available.

The steel frame is for ease of mounting roll bar/cage because once you go to a road course nothing else matters.

Last edited by yooperLS6; 12-30-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Sell or Continue with V1