Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

car cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car cover

Can someone please recommend me a good car cover for my V 1st gen. Might be at a point soon where i will be driving it on weekends only so. Just mostly want to protect paint doesnt need to be lockable since it's gonna be a mere 5 feet from my front door in the middle of no wear soon. Would like to find one that i can get in a week since i will be moving and would like it for the move. On that note does anyone have a way I can protect my car while im trailering it if i cant get a cover in time.

Last edited by rwarden90; 09-19-2013 at 09:18 PM. Reason: additions
Old 09-19-2013, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

If its sitting outside, I suggest no cover. Covers rub the paint.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

but what shall protect the paint then
Old 09-20-2013, 05:50 AM
On The Tree

Yep, covers rub the paint when it's windy. Wax the car to help protect the paint. Get a trailer that's enclosed or has a deflector on the front.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I.....don't know what car covers ya'll are using but a good car cover will not hurt paint. That is like saying if I keep rubbing/hitting a micro fiber towel against my car the paint will get damaged......

OP, I ordered a custom fitted car cover from california car cover. They have a great site and product. Took 3 weeks to get but it fits like a glove (imagine a fitted sheet for a car) and works perfect. It is really just a sun protection layer though really, it is not water proof. If it was it would probably damage the pint like the others are saying. You may be able to order one like mine that is water proof, but I cannot say for sure. It fits my car like a fitted sheet and has pockets for the mirrors. I also have a cable that goes under the car to lock it on; for wind, and so no other cts owners get the bright idea of steeling it.

I do not have any pictures of it right now but to avoid the hassel of posting some you can pm me your # and I will take a picture of it next time it is on the car. I use it quite often. Basicaly since I do not have a garage, if Im not driving the car that day, the cover goes on. Also, I think I paid around 300+ so prepare for that, as that was not even the most expensive one they offered. Oh, and since mine is not water proof (I put it on during storms anyway, some protection from hail is better than none) when it rains, I still need to wash my car after words, sucks, but whatchya gonna do? I just roll mine up and leave it in the trunk.

Edit: Do not cover the car when trailering it! Missed that part. I bet my cover still would not hurt the paint, but I bet the high speeds of trailering the car would likely ruin the cover and you would lose it. Mine I could imagine would turn into a sail and take my mirrors with it. You can shop around for a fancy car trailer, but as long as the truck use to tow it has mud flaps there will be no damage to the car. It would be no different from driving it. I just towed my V from NY-TX on a trailer and had no problems. Plus there was the added advantage of having the car up in the air a little so I could wash underneath when I got to TX and get rid of the NY salt and road crud.

Last edited by NIKDSC5; 09-20-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

So no cover while trailering.Anything i should do befor trailering i've got 1300 miles to cover so .
Old 09-20-2013, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Anything can wear away paint, even a micro fiber cloth. You rub the same spot long enough, it will cause damage.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rwarden90
So no cover while trailering.Anything i should do befor trailering i've got 1300 miles to cover so .
Yeah,if you are really worried that much plasti dip the car. Other wise I would do nothing. Car wil be filthy when you get to where you are going so you can just wash and wax when you get there.

Originally Posted by brack86svo
Anything can wear away paint, even a micro fiber cloth. You rub the same spot long enough, it will cause damage.
This I gotta see.....no mechanical advantage, just wind or elbow grease rubbing the same spot. Go!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

An outside cover gets dirt in it and it will rub the car paint when the wind blows. I put a inside cover on my 69 mustang show car, and it doesn’t go on unless the car is clean. Try putting some dirt in a micro fiber towel and rub on your paint.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

even with the microfiber you can still scratch the surface, any dirt flying around especially if you hit a dirt/gravel road will get under the cover and possible swirl/scratch the clear coat. but still not horrible you can buff it out. id recommend the car cover because you dont know if theres going to be rocks coming up from under the truck.

i know i ran over a weed wacker that fell off a truck (no time to avoid with out death to everything) while i was trailering from Virginia to Texas and i was lucky enough to not have it fly up into the camaro.

where people run into big problems is when they leave a car outside underneath a cover for an extended period of time and the dirt blowing up from under the car works its way up the cover and the wind constantly rubs the cover against it causing swirl/light scratches.

i wish i had a cover for the car while i drove it to Texas, if youre still worried about it, you could probably find something similar to the tape that car manufacturers use to ship cars.

biggest problem with anything is people do not clean their cars before the cover. just a good rule of thumb is keep your car clean and wax it, regularly
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sick_tight
if youre still worried about it, you could probably find something similar to the tape that car manufacturers use to ship cars.
Exactly what I was thinking, maybe some industrial saran wrap to trailer your car, something that won’t blow around? They have a big roll of this stuff in my shop that they use when shipping things.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Yeah,if you are really worried that much plasti dip the car. Other wise I would do nothing. Car wil be filthy when you get to where you are going so you can just wash and wax when you get there.

This I gotta see.....no mechanical advantage, just wind or elbow grease rubbing the same spot. Go!
Agree 100%.

The thread can be closed now.

Gotta love internet myths that specialize in the extreme.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

do you think mayb a cheap universal cover that i can put holes in to strap to the trailer would be good cause i will be on a few crummy partial gravel roads? And the what do you all recomend for when I'm where im goin. Car wont be covered all the time probly 4-5 days a week thou.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Could go to a marina with the car loaded and have them shrink wrap it like the do boats for the winter and travel. About 2-250$. Or.....don't worry about it so much. it will be fine, just fine. If anything major happens Im sure you have insurance.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Friction causes wear over time on paint. I'm sure what you're asking could be replicated but, I'm not going to do it to my car to prove a point.

OP - Get a roll of vinyl wrap. Wrap the front and hood. You don't have to make it look pretty, then peel it off when you reach your destination. Vinyl wrap if fairly cheap as well.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rwarden90
do you think mayb a cheap universal cover that i can put holes in to strap to the trailer would be good cause i will be on a few crummy partial gravel roads? And the what do you all recomend for when I'm where im goin. Car wont be covered all the time probly 4-5 days a week thou.
if you wash/wax it before you put the car cover on you shouldnt have any issues driving it to your location. i doubt it will get enough dirt underneath it to really worry about it and if it does then you can always buff it out later. id go with a good car cover but its up to you.

its worth the buffing to make sure you dont have any rocks/debris fly and chip your paint or windshield while youre driving.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default cover

Originally Posted by sick_tight
if you wash/wax it before you put the car cover on you shouldnt have any issues driving it to your location. i doubt it will get enough dirt underneath it to really worry about it and if it does then you can always buff it out later. id go with a good car cover but its up to you.

its worth the buffing to make sure you dont have any rocks/debris fly and chip your paint or windshield while youre driving.
true..Just trl. the damn thing with no cover....I bought this cover for my XLR and it does pretty good..and looks good...Not a tight fit, but does have a nylon strap....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180947271472...ht_6202wt_1141
Old 09-23-2013, 03:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Saran Wrap; industrial.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

depends on the MF quality and paint/clear. not all MF nor paint are created equal. try the "CD test", rub the (clean obviously) MF on a CD and if scratches appear, they're no good for paint. same for any thing you plan on using to wash the car be it mitts, terry cloth, chamois, towels or what have you.

Last edited by gangnam style; 09-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

For when you put your car on a trailer: You could saran wrap your car. An alternative would be to put painter's masking tape on any forward surfaces (grill, hood, A pillars, front of mirrors, front half of roof, headlights) and you'd probably need to put it on the front fenders as well. This will prevent any major chipping.

For covering your car at home: It depends on what you expect out of the cover. There is not a car cover that will let you store the car outside for months on end without overhead cover that will keep the car 100% clean without any dirt/water on the paint. There are lighter car covers that will keep dust off the car, but will still move and allow wind to carry dirt underneath the cover and onto the paint. There are also car covers that are more sturdy and will protect against dew laying-down onto the paint. Neither car cover will prevent a heavy rain from penetrating to the car paint and leaving water spots. Heavy moisture and car covers generally do not mix well. Some car covers do not breathe well, and humidity and/or rain can become trapped underneath the car cover and cause serious staining of the paint normally not correctable without a repaint.

For whichever type of car cover you choose, I would recommend that you wash the car and car cover on a set frequency and at the same time to minimize swirls caused by dust build-up on the car and car cover.

Quick Reply: car cover